- Champions Programme with University of West Indies, Jamaica
- Developing a Partnership with Ho Chi University Vietnam to develop a professional doctorate programme
- Governor Denefield School
- External Examiner Ed D Canterbury and King's College London
- Journal reviewer
Areas of interest
Both qualitative and some quantitative research methods.
Various aspects of sociology of education, including:
- Educational identity/identity construction
- Educational attainment, values and aspirations
- Widening Participation
- Social background/Pupil Premium
- ‘Left-Behind’ Children
PhD and EdD Level Supervision is offered in these areas.
Current and Recent PhD and Ed D Students, with Topics/Titles of their research:
- Dr Hamda Al-Naimi 1st - How Qatari 12th grade students make career and educational decisions - Completed
- Dr Fiona Curtis (1st with Dr Vince Trakulphadetkrai) - Understanding Algebra: A Study into the Development of Algebraic Thinking with a Focus on the Use of Manipulatives - Completed
- Dr Catherine Foley (1st with Dr Vince Trakulphadetkrai) - Children's perceptions of mathematics in their home and school lives - Completed
- Dr Nici Hunt (joint 1st with Prof Andy Goodwyn) - Advanced Skills Teachers and Expertise - Completed
- Dr Leah Muteru (with Dr Richard Harris) - Parental Participation in English State schools: the case for Kenyans PBS migrants - Completed
- Dr Rosemary Reynolds (1st with Prof Naz Rassool) - Chinese students' experiences and motivations for study in FE colleges in the UK - Completed
- Dr Mohammed Alduailej (1st with Nasreen Majid) - Career decision making of first year university students in Saudia Arabia - Completed
- Dr Yang Hong (1st with Dr Catherine Foley) - The educational aspirations of 'left behind' children in rural China - Completed
- Dr Ingrid Kangua (1st) - Students’ perceptions of supporting deep learning - Completed
- Tania Lyden (1st with David Kerr) - Career Mentoring Relationships for UG students in HE - Current
- Dr Aliki MacDonald (joint 1st with Dr Steve Musson) - The role of parents and place in aspirations - Completed
- Dr Blair McMurchy (1st with Dr Alan Floyd) - The role of the President in Ontario Community Colleges. - Completed
- Mary Morris (1st with Dr Alan Floyd) - Understanding exclusions amongst PP students - Current
- Dr Lisa Patterson (1st with David Kerr ) – Accountability in Schools: Case studies of Jamaican and English Teachers - Completed
- Dr Mathew Thorne (1st with David Kerr) - Why Sixth form students chose the A-Level subjects they are studying and the impact of Pupil Premium - Completed
- Sheralee Virdi (1st with Maria Kambouri-Danos) - Understanding the use of intrinsic and extrinsic motivators in the Early Years - Submitted
- Dr Charlotte Wilson (1st) - Affecting the Learner Identities of Pupil Premium Students: an investigation into the poverty of aspiration and the use of mentoring strategies to affect change - Completed
- Meilun Yan (1st with Dr Karen Jones) - 'Left behind' children in rural China – Current
- Nora Aljbreen – Gendered experience of leadership in Quality Assurance departs in HEIs in KSA – Current
- Sally Tipper – Gender Representations in STEM – Current
- Khaled Al Jarallah – 21st Century skills to support education in Kuwait – Current
- Stuart Bracewell – Social inequality and school marketing – Current
- Cecilia Muldoon – The role of gender and class in constructions of aspirations in women – Current
- Linyao Wang – Rural migrant children and their educational experience in Beijing – Current
- Suzy Tutchell – Gender self and the role of art – Current
- Simon Fox – Resilience – what is it and how is it taught? – Current
- Fei Lan – Gendered identity constructions and the impact on teachers in China – Current
- Doctoral supervision
- Convenor of ED3BHW
- Contributing to teaching across all programmes
- ‘Marvellous Mums’
- Martial Arts Identity and Health and Well Being with Dr Viki Lloyd
- The Indoor/Outdoors Girlhood Project – Ufton Court
- The impact of the outdoors on a range of areas and young people – (Funded by Wiltshire Wildlife Trust/Big Lottery Grant)
- Outdoor Learning and impact on educational attainment and engagement (funded by SES)
- Outdoor Learning and Educational Attainment, Engagement and Aspirations (funded by the University of Reading Research Endowment Trust Fund
- Development in a Small Island Developing State: the Jamaican context (with Dr Alan Floyd - funded by BELMAS)
- Exploring the Professional Identities of Secondary School Teachers (with Dr Alan Floyd, funded by the University of Reading IoE internal research fund)
- The Experiences of Non-Traditional Entrants in a Traditional Higher Educational Setting (with Tony Macfadeyn - funded by Progress South Central)
- Equity, Inclusion and Improvement at the Institute of Education
- Society for Educational Studies
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- UKCGE - Professional Doctorates SIG
- Educational Doctorates Directors Network
- Fuller, C and Goodwyn, A., (2013)Advanced Skills Teachers and the 'Master Teacher' Standard; on becoming a Cheap, Cheerful and Compliant Teacher, American Educational Research Association (AERA), San Francisco, America, 27th April-2nd May 2013.
- Goodwyn, A. and Fuller, C., (2012), The Future of Expert Teachers in England: A Case Study in an International Context, European Educational Research Association (EERA), Cadiz, Spain, September 18th-21st.
- Fuller, C., (2012), Social Capital and Educational Aspirations, American Educational Research Association (AERA), Vancouver, Canada, 13th-17th April.
- Fuller, C., and Macfadyen, T., (2012),"What with your grades?" Experiences of and motivations for vocational education in FE, American Educational Research Association (AERA), Vancouver, Canada, 13th-17th April.
- Goodwyn, A. and Fuller, C., (2012), Being an Advanced Skills Teacher: Identity and Status, American Educational Research Association (AERA), Vancouver, Canada, 13th-17th April.
- Fuller, C, (2010), Exploring Educational Aspirations, American Educational Research Association (AERA), Denver, USA, April 30th-4th May.
- Floyd, A. and Fuller, C. (2012) Leadership development in a Small Island Developing State: the Jamaican context paper presented at BELMAS Annual Conference, Manchester, 20th-22nd July.
- Fuller, C., and Floyd, A., (2012) Teachers as professionals: identity, autonomy and job satisfaction in an era of unprecedented structural reform, British Educational Research Association (BERA), Manchester, September 4th-6th .
- McCrum, E., Fuller, C., and Macfadyen, T., (2012), Teachers and pupils knowledge and experiences of IAG: some implications for the current policy context, British Educational Research Association (BERA), Manchester, September 4th-6th.
- Goodwyn, A. and Fuller, C., (2012), Mr Gove's 'Master Teacher Standard'; on becoming a cheap, cheerful and compliant teacher, British Educational Research Association (BERA), Manchester, September 4th-6th.
- Fuller, C., Goodwyn, A., and Francis-Brophy, E., (2011), Being an Advanced Skills Teacher: Identity and Status, British Educational Research Association (BERA), London, September 6th-8th .
- Fuller, C. , Danos, M. , Muldoon, C. (2020) Empowering Women from the bottom to the top; parents, community and partnership. In: Jones, K. , (eds.) Challenging Gender Stereotypes in Education. Sage ISBN: 9781526494542
- Fuller, C. , Majid, N. , Yan, M. (2020) Constructing self: gender, social background and ethnicity in developing educational identities. In: Jones, K. , (eds.) Challenging Gender Stereotypes in Education. Sage ISBN: 9781526494542
- Fuller, C. and Lloyd, V. (2019) Martial arts and well-being: connecting communities and promoting health. Routledge pp 116. ISBN: 9781138213555
- Hong, Y. and Fuller, C. (2019) Alone and ‘left behind’: a case study of ‘left-behind children’ in rural China. Cogent Education , 6 (1). ISSN: 2331-186X | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/2331186X.2019.1654236
- Fuller, C. (2018) The existential self: challenging and renegotiating gender identity through higher education in England. Gender and Education , 30 (1). pp. 92-104. ISSN: 1360-0516 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/09540253.2016.1241380
- Fuller, C. (2017) The advanced skills teacher in England. In: Goodwyn, A. , (eds.) Expert Teachers: An International Perspective. Routledge , Abingdon. pp. 69-89. ISBN: 9780415812207
- Fuller, C. , Powell, D. , Fox, S. (2017) Making gains: the impact of outdoor residential experiences on students’ examination grades and self-efficacy. Educational Review , 69 (2). pp. 232-247. ISSN: 1465-3397 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00131911.2016.1199538
- Floyd, A. and Fuller, C. (2016) Leadership identity in a small island developing state: the Jamaican context. Compare: A Journal of Comparative and International Education , 46 (2). pp. 251-271. ISSN: 0305-7925 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/03057925.2014.936365
- Ibrayeva, L. and Fuller, C. (2014) The L2 motivational self system among Kazakh learners of LSP. Asian ESP Journal , 10 (2). pp. 40-63. ISSN: 2206-0979
- Fuller, C. , McCrum, E. , Macfadyen, T. (2014) Teachers’ knowledge and experiences of Information Advice and Guidance: some implications for the current policy context in England. Education Inquiry , 5 (2). ISSN: 2000-4508 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.3402/edui.v5.23922
- Fuller, C. (2014) Social capital and the role of trust in aspirations for higher education. Educational Review , 66 (2). pp. 131-147. ISSN: 1465-3397 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00131911.2013.768956
- Attwood, G. , Croll, P. , Fuller, C. , Last, K. (2013) The accuracy of students' predictions of their GCSE grades . Educational Studies , 39 (4). pp. 444-454. ISSN: 1465-3400 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/03055698.2013.776945
- Fuller, C. , Goodwyn, A. , Francis-Brophy, E. (2013) Advanced skills teachers: professional identity and status. Teachers and Teaching: Theory and Practice , 19 (4). pp. 463-474. ISSN: 1354-0602 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/13540602.2013.770228
- Goodwyn, A. and Fuller, C. (2012) Outstanding teachers, practice and ICT use. Advancing Education , 2012
- Fuller, C. and MacFadyen, T. (2012) 'What with your grades?': Students motivation for and experience of vocational courses in further education. Journal of Vocational Education and Training , 64 (1). pp. 87-101. ISSN: 1747-5090 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/13636820.2011.622447
- Goodwyn, A. and Fuller, C. , eds. (2011) The great literacy debate: a critical response to the Literacy Strategy and the Framework for English. The Great Literacy Debate. Routledge , London. pp 182. ISBN: 9780415597630
- Fuller, C. , Goodwyn, A. , Francis-Brophy, E. , Harding, R. (2010) Advanced skills teachers: summary report. University of Reading, Institute of Education , Reading. pp 14.
- Croll, P. , Attwood, G. , Fuller, C. (2010) Children's lives, children's futures: A study of children starting secondary school. Continuum Studies in Educational Research Continuum , London. pp 218. ISBN: 9781847062697
- Croll, P. and Fuller, C. (2009) Children's attitudes to school. Sociology Review , 18 (4). ISSN: 0959-8499
- Goodwyn, A. , Fuller, C. , Protopsaltis, A. (2009) Harnessing Technology Strategy: Celebrating Outstanding Teachers . unpublished pp 97.
- Fuller, C. (2009) Sociology, Gender and Educational Aspirations: Girls and their Ambitions. Continuum , New York. pp 201. ISBN: 9781441152077
- Fuller, C. (2008) Girls and their ambitions: a sociological study of educational aspirations.
- Croll, P. , Attwood, G. , Fuller, C. , Last, K. (2008) The Structure and implications of children's attitudes to school. British Journal of Educational Studies , 56 (4). pp. 382-399. ISSN: 1467-8527 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-8527.2008.00420.x