- Director of Research and Evaluation (Access & Participation)
- Member of Access and Participation Committee (APC)
- Member of Race Equality Action Team (RE-Act)
- Member of the University's BAME Staff Network Committee
Institute of Education:
- BA, MA, EdD and PhD supervisions
- Deputy Director of Postgraduate Research Studies
- Undergraduate and postgraduate teaching
Areas of interest
- Sociology of Education
- Higher Education
- Social Mobility, Justice and Inequalities (e.g. of gender, class and ethnicity)
- Education and career aspirations of young people
- Science, computing and digital education (and wider STEM education)
Current and Recent PhD and EdD Students, with Topics/Titles of their Research:
- Amel Abada (with Dr Maria Kambouri): Mothers' intersubjective perceptions of play and play-based learning in the early years.
- Nouf Hassanin (with Dr Yota Dimitriadi): The Roles of Home and School toward Digital Citizenship Concepts with Preschool Children in Saudi Arabia
- Doris Leung Wai Wong (with Prof R Harris): Good teaching as revealed by quantitative and qualitative SET data - a case study of a Hong Kong university
- John Knight (with Dr Marc Jacobs): Square pegs in round holes: A study of student identity in a high aspiration international school environment
- Albert Mususa (with Prof R Harris): An exploration of professional self-understanding of teachers in alternative educational provision
- Millicent Thomas (with Dr Nasreen Majid): Socialisation experiences of BME middle leaders in secondary school and what they do to ‘fit in’ and get on’ as a newcomer in a department
- Fatima Zahra Abbou (with Dr Karen Jones): Female Educational Leaders Career Progression in Algerian Universities.
- Peter Jeffreys (with Dr Yota Dimitriadi): To what extent can social media influence parental engagement in primary schools?
- Eqab Almutairi (with Dr Yota Dimitriadi): The use of WhatsApp as Digital Personalised Learning Environments to Support Informal Learning in Kuwait: A Multi-Perspective Investigation
- Maha Al-yousef (with Prof Gill Crozier): The role of higher education in developing female students’ social and cultural identities: A case study of one university in Saudi Arabia (University of Roehampton) Completed 2021.
- Amanda Cockayne (with Prof Elizabeth McCrum): An investigation into the professional roles and identities of school based mentors of trainee teachers. Completed 2021.
- Peter Kemp (with Prof Debbie Epstein): Learning pathways for digitally creative youth: a study of 3D animation (University of Roehampton). Completed 2020.
- Myrto Nikolopoulou (with Prof Marie-Pierre Moreau): Young people’s social media online practices in Greece: Developing identities online and shaping future aspirations (University of Roehampton). Completed 2019.
- Ismail Karaoz (with Dr Geoff Taggart): The affordances of technology in second/foreign language learning for learner autonomy. Completed 2019.
- BA Education Studies
- Qualitative research methods
- Research supervision
Research centres and groups
- Academic advisory group member for Transforming Access and Student Outcomes (TASO)
- Accessibility and inclusion advisory panel member for the Ogden Trust
Current and Recent Research Projects:
- Subject Choice, Attainment and Representation in Computing (SCARIComp) project (2021-2024), CI, funded by the Nuffield Foundation (with P. Kemp, King’s College London) - https://www.scaricomp.org/
- Inclusive institutions: enabling and supporting culture change (2022), CI, funded by Advance HE (with T. Chiu, Imperial College London)
- Supporting the identity development of underrepresented students (SIDUS) (2020-2021), CI, funded by Imperial College London (https://www.imperial.ac.uk/education-research/our-work/identities-in-education/sidus)
- Student Experiences in STEM degrees (SESTEM) (2018-2021), PI, funded by University of Reading (https://research.reading.ac.uk/sestem)
- ‘Mapping the characteristics of the ‘ideal’ student at university’ (2017-2019), PI, funded by the British Academy/Leverhulme Trust (with T. Chiu, Imperial College London) – http://www.idealstudent.org
- Youth Engagement Initiative (PI, funded by the Institute of Physics)
- Mini-Police at Reading (PI, with T. Walters, Thames Valley Police)
- The state of computing education in England (CI, with P. Kemp & M. Berry)
- Higher education: Views of lecturers toward student’ (PI, funded by Santander).
- ‘Digitally-skilled young people and their aspirations’ (CI, funded by Google CS4HS, with P. Kemp).
- ‘A review of social mobility’ (funded by ASCL, with B. Francis)
- ‘Enterprising Science’ (funded by BP, with L. Archer et al)
- ‘ASPIRES’ (funded by ESRC, with L. Archer et al)
- ‘A review of informal science learning’ (funded by Wellcome Trust, with J. Falk et al)
For further information: http://www.billywong.net.
- Improving Equity and Inclusion through Education
- Hoskins, K. and Wong, B. ORCID: 0000-0002-7310-6418 (2022) Re/configuring possible selves and broadening future horizons: the experiences of working-class British Asian women navigating higher education. Widening Participation and Lifelong Learning ISSN: 1466-6529
- Wong, B. ORCID: 0000-0002-7310-6418 , Copsey-Blake, M. , ElMorally, R. (2022) Silent or silenced? Minority ethnic students and the battle against racism. The Cambridge Journal of Education ISSN: 1469-3577 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/0305764X.2022.2047889
- Copsey-Blake, M. , Hamer, J. , Kemp, P. , Wong, B. ORCID: 0000-0002-7310-6418 (2021) Should we be concerned about who is studying computing in schools?. Understanding Computing Education: Equity, Diversity and Inclusion in Computing Education. , 2. Raspberry Pi Foundation , Cambridge. pp. 31-39.
- Wong, B. ORCID: 0000-0002-7310-6418 , Copsey-Blake, M. , ElMorally, R. (2021) The student experiences in STEM report. University of Reading pp 45.
- Chiu, Y. , Wong, B. ORCID: 0000-0002-7310-6418 , Charalambous, M. (2021) ‘It’s for others to judge’: what influences students’ construction of the ideal student?. Journal of Further and Higher Education ISSN: 0309-877X | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/0309877X.2021.1945553
- Wong, B. ORCID: 0000-0002-7310-6418 , ElMorally, R. , Copsey-Blake, M. (2021) ‘Fair and square’: what do students think about the ethnicity degree awarding gap?. Journal of Further and Higher Education ISSN: 0309-877X | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/0309877X.2021.1932773
- Wong, B. ORCID: 0000-0002-7310-6418 and Chiu, Y. (2021) The ideal student: deconstructing expectations in Higher Education. Open University Press , London. pp 192. ISBN: 9780335249251
- Wong, B. ORCID: 0000-0002-7310-6418 , DeWitt, J. , Chiu, Y. (2021) Mapping the eight dimensions of the ideal student in higher education. Educational Review ISSN: 1465-3397 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00131911.2021.1909538
- Wong, B. ORCID: 0000-0002-7310-6418 , Chiu, Y. , Copsey-Blake, M. , Nikolopoulou, M. (2021) A mapping of graduate attributes: what can we expect from UK university students?. Higher Education Research & Development ISSN: 1469-8366 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/07294360.2021.1882405
- Wong, B. ORCID: 0000-0002-7310-6418 and Chiu, Y. (2021) Exploring the concept of 'ideal' university student. Studies in Higher Education , 46 (3). pp. 497-508. ISSN: 0307-5079 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/03075079.2019.1643302
- Wong, B. ORCID: 0000-0002-7310-6418 , Elmorally, R. , Copsey-Blake, M. , Highwood, E. , Singarayer, J. (2020) Is race still relevant? Student perceptions and experiences of racism in higher education. The Cambridge Journal of Education ISSN: 1469-3577 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/0305764X.2020.1831441
- Wong, B. and Chiu, Y. (2020) University lecturers’ construction of the ‘ideal’ undergraduate student. Journal of Further and Higher Education , 44 (1). pp. 54-68. ISSN: 0309-877X | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/0309877X.2018.1504010
- Kemp, P. , Wong, B. , Berry, M. (2019) Female performance and participation in computer science: a national picture. ACM Transactions on Computing Education , 20 (1). | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1145/3366016
- Du, X. and Wong, B. (2019) Science career aspiration and science capital in China and UK: a comparative study using PISA data. International Journal of Science Education , 41 (15). pp. 2136-2155. ISSN: 0950-0693 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/09500693.2019.1662135
- Wong, B. and Chiu, Y. (2019) ‘Swallow your pride and fear’: the educational strategies of high-achieving non-traditional university students. British Journal of Sociology of Education , 40 (7). pp. 868-882. ISSN: 0142-5692 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/01425692.2019.1604209
- Wong, B. and Chiu, Y. (2019) Let me entertain you: the ambivalent role of university lecturers as educators and performers. Educational Review , 71 (2). pp. 218-233. ISSN: 1465-3397 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00131911.2017.1363718
- Wong, B. (2018) By chance or by plan?: The academic success of nontraditional students in higher education. AERA Open , 4 (2). ISSN: 2332-8584 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1177/2332858418782195
- Wong, B. and Kemp, P. (2018) Technical boys and creative girls: the career aspirations of digitally-skilled youths. The Cambridge Journal of Education , 48 (3). pp. 301-316. ISSN: 1469-3577 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/0305764X.2017.1325443
- Wong, B. (2017) ‘I’m good, but not that good’: digitally-skilled young people’s identity in computing. Computer Science Education , 26 (4). pp. 299-317. ISSN: 0899-3408 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/08993408.2017.1292604
- Archer, L. , Dawson, E. , Seakins, A. , Wong, B. (2016) Disorientating, fun or meaningful? Disadvantaged families' experiences of a science museum visit. Cultural Studies of Science Education , 11 (4). pp. 917-939. ISSN: 1871-1510 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11422-015-9667-7
- Wong, B. (2016) Science education, career aspirations and minority ethnic students. Palgrave MacMillan , Basingstoke. pp 195. ISBN: 9781137533975 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1057/9781137533982
- Wong, B. (2016) Minority ethnic students and science participation: a qualitative mapping of achievement, aspiration, interest and capital. Research in Science Education , 46 (1). pp. 113-127. ISSN: 1573-1898 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11165-015-9466-x
- Falk, J. , Dierking, L. , Osborne, J. , Wenger, M. , Dawson, E. , Wong, B. (2015) Analyzing science education in the U.K.: taking a system-wide approach. Science Education , 99 (1). pp. 145-173. ISSN: 0036-8326 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1002/sce.21140
- Archer, L. , Dawson, E. , DeWitt, J. , Seakins, A. , Wong, B. (2015) “Science capital”: a conceptual, methodological, and empirical argument for extending bourdieusian notions of capital beyond the arts. Journal of Research in Science Teaching , 52 (7). pp. 922-948. ISSN: 1098-2736 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1002/tea.21227
- Wong, B. (2015) A blessing with a curse: model minority ethnic students and the construction of educational success. Oxford Review of Education , 41 (6). pp. 730-746. ISSN: 0305-4985 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/03054985.2015.1117970
- Wong, B. (2015) Careers ‘from’ but not ‘in’ science: why aspirations to be a scientist are challenging for minority ethnic students?. Journal of Research in Science Teaching , 52 (7). pp. 979-1002. ISSN: 1098-2736 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1002/tea.21231
- Wong, B. (2012) Identifying with science: a case study of two 13-year-old ‘high achieving working class’ British Asian girls. International Journal of Science Education , 34 (1). pp. 43-65. ISSN: 0950-0693 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/09500693.2010.551671