The interview may involve a number of candidates and will be conducted remotely via Microsoft Teams. You will be required to plan a short presentation, undertake a writing task and you will be tested on your subject knowledge. There will be a series of formal questions and an opportunity for you to discuss the programme with the subject lead.
Prior to interview
- Plan a topic presentation: Please be prepared to do a brief, informal presentation to the course leader about an area of Science that you are particularly interested in and that is appropriate for secondary pupils at KS3.
The presentation should:
- Be no more than 5 minutes long
- Not use PowerPoint or other presentation formats (including a whiteboard). You may wish to show an object with you as a prop, example or focus but this is not required.
- Say why you chose that area of science. Include your thoughts on the learning opportunities (in the broadest sense) for the pupils and also on any aspects that you anticipate the pupils will find particularly engaging or particularly difficult or challenging
- Provoke discussion - you may wish to end with a question.
- Not be a lecture; aim to engage with questions or short activities.
The remote interview process
Your interview will start with an introduction by Andrew Happle or Caroline Foulkes (subject leaders for PGCE Science).
- Topic presentation:
You will then be given 5 minutes to talk through your presentation with the subject leader. There may be some follow-up questions.
- Formal interview:
The Microsoft Teams interview will follow the same format as our face to face interviews. We will ask the same questions as are asked of all candidates and there will be an opportunity for you to ask questions. This should take approximately 20 minutes.
- Written task:
After the formal interview, an email will be sent to you containing the following:
- A short, written task intended to assess your English fluency and your thoughts on an aspects of science. This should take approximately 30/40 minutes.
- You will need to complete the written task, and then scan and return it back via email within 2 hours. Alternatively, you can complete an electronic version of the written task and return it straight back via email. Email address to return your written task to: email@example.com or the email address from which your received it.
Any offer we make will be conditional on any or all of the following:
Proof of qualifications (certificates etc)
Fitness to teach
If your/my network does not behave, please do not panic! I will email you using the addresses given in your application and we will make a contingency plan.