The interview may involve a number of candidates and will be conducted remotely via Microsoft Teams.
Prior to interview
- Plan a topic presentation from the following 4 options:
- Introduce the topic of classification of skill to GCSE PE students
- Introduce the topic of commercialisation in sport to GCSE PE students
- Introduce the different types of serve in badminton to Year 8 students
- Explain the importance of resilience to Year 7 students and why it is important in sport
- The presentation should be 5 minutes long and in a format of your choice.
- You may use hand-outs. Please send these in advance of your interview to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Candidates may use notes as prompts but reading out a prewritten script is discouraged. The presentation needs to be interesting and engaging.
The remote interview process
Your interview will start with an introduction by Harvey Grout (subject leader for PGCE PE).
You will then be given 5 minutes to talk through your presentation with the subject leader. There may be some follow-up questions.
You will then be asked a series of formal questions, which will explore your motivations for becoming a teacher, your passion for teaching PE, and look to draw upon your subject knowledge and specialisms. This will last about 15-20 minutes and there will be chances to ask questions throughout.
Immediately after the formal interview, an email will be sent to you containing a short written task intended to assess your English fluency and your thoughts on an aspect of physical education. This should take approximately 20-30 minutes. The written task can be handwritten or completed electronically.
The written task should be completed and returned to Harvey within one hour. Once completed, please send a high-quality scan of your written task (if handwritten) to Harvey at:email@example.com
If you choose to complete the written task electronically, you can return your written task to Harvey electronically.
Please feel free to contact Harvey should you have any questions.
If your/our network does not behave, please do not panic! We will email you using the addresses given in your application and we will make a contingency plan.