The interview may involve a number of candidates and will be conducted remotely via Microsoft Teams.
Prior to interview
- Plan a 5-minute presentation:
- Select a historical topic that you want to teach to 11-14 year olds. It should be something that you are passionate about. The first two minutes should explain why you think this should be on the school curriculum and what specifically pupils should know about this topic.
- Explain how you would teach one lesson (of an hour’s duration) on this historical topic. The final three minutes should give a clear skeleton structure for how you would envisage teaching this in one hour. Part of this must involve describing the activities you would include in the lesson and possible resources you might use.
- You may use hand-outs. Please send these in advance of your interview to: and
- Candidates may use notes as prompts but reading out a prewritten script is discouraged. The presentation needs to be interesting and engaging.
The remote interview process
Your interview will start with an introduction by either Will Bailey-Watson or Richard Harris (co-leaders for PGCE History).
You will then be given 5 minutes to talk through your presentation with the subject leader. There may be some follow-up questions.
You will then be asked a series of formal questions, which will explore your motivations for becoming a teacher, your passion for teaching History, and look to draw upon your subject knowledge and specialisms. This will last about 30 minutes and there will be chances to ask questions throughout.
At the end of the interview, you will be sent a written task via email. The written task can be handwritten or completed electronically.
please use Microsoft Lens to send a PDF of your answer to Will or Richard.
If you choose to complete the written task electronically, you can return your written task to Will or Richard electronically.
Please feel free to contact Will or Richard should you have any questions.
If your/our network does not behave, please do not panic! We will email you using the addresses given in your application and we will make a contingency plan.