How do I prepare for the subject-specific elements of my interview?
Please be prepared to deliver a five-minute presentation relating to a poem of your choice, which is appropriate for secondary pupils at Key Stage 3.
Your presentation should:
- explain why you have chosen the poem
- explain how you might teach an aspect of the poem
- include your thoughts on the learning opportunities (in the broadest sense) for the pupils
- include your thoughts on any aspects that you anticipate the pupils may find particularly engaging, difficult, or challenging
- provoke discussion – you may wish to end with a question
- aim to engage with questions or short activities.
- This will be a verbal presentation. Please do not use PowerPoint or other presentation formats (including a whiteboard).
- You may wish to show an object as a prop or resource, but this is not required.
- The presentation should not be a lecture.
Please, have a look at the specific details about the PGCE English course. If you have any questions about the presentation that you need to prepare, please contact the subject leader, Rachel Roberts (firstname.lastname@example.org), before the date of your interview.