KS1 Maths Lesson task
Please watch the first 8 minutes of the Maths at Melcombe Primary School film and make notes on the techniques that the teacher uses to support the children's learning. Your notes should address the following:
- How does the teacher encourage good learning behaviour?
- What would the teacher have needed to consider when planning this lesson?
- How does the teacher use voice and body language to support the learning?
- How does the teacher assess the understanding of the children?
During your interview, you will be prompted to discuss your responses to these points and reflect on what you noted in the video. Please come to your interview with questions prepared.
The written task
Approximately two or three working days prior to your interview, you will be sent a Microsoft Teams meeting invitation for your interview and an email containing the written task. Please respond to this email before your interview attaching the completed written task.
What will happen at my interview?
There will be a brief informal discussion focused on the KS1 Maths Lesson task.
There will also be a more formal interview with questions that will enable you to demonstrate the following:
- Your motivations for beginning a career in primary teaching
- An understanding of safeguarding
- Your own values and ethics regarding primary teaching
- The ability to reflect on and analyse your own experience in the context of your development as a trainee teacher
- Awareness of the Teachers' Standards and relevance to your own development.
There will also be an opportunity for you to ask any questions you might have at the end of your interview.
Who will interview me?
You will be interviewed by one of the programme tutors from the Institute of Education and another interviewer. The second interviewer may be a colleague from one of our partner schools. Please note that we will share relevant background information from your application form with our partner school colleague, but this will not include any sensitive data that you provided as part of your application. If you have any queries or concerns in relation to this, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to meeting you. In the meantime, if you have any questions about the interview process or if you require any assistance in relation to your interview, please contact email@example.com.