Professor John Connaughton
- Professor of Sustainable Construction
- Module Convenor, Construction Economics (CEM228) and Designment (CEM230)
- School Director of Enterprise
Areas of interest
My research interests span a number of areas, including improving interdisciplinary collaboration in the construction process; the changing nature of the construction professions; and energy use in buildings.
The focus of my work on collaboration is currently on the development of new forms of project insurance that support more collaborative endeavour among project teams.
On the development of the construction professions, I have an ongoing interest in the growth, diversification and performance of construction professional services firms.
In the area of energy use in buildings, I am currently focusing in particular on developing an improved understanding, using social practice theory, of the design and use of office buildings in terms of their energy performance.
Lecturing across 11 modules, including the following postgraduate taught modules:
- Construction Cost Management: Principles and Practice (CEM104)
- Urban Sustainability (CEM220)
- Construction Cost Engineering (CEM238)
- Strategic Management (CEM302)
- Sustainable Design, Construction and Operation (CEM303)
- Life-Cycle Assessment (CEM319).
And including the following undergraduate modules:
- Principles of Management (CE1CMP)
- Construction Procurement (CE2CPT)
- Sustainability (CE3CS1)
- Industry and Practice: the Business Context of Architecture (AA1IPI).
And a further four modules for Henley Business School and real estate and planning.
- Diploma in Construction Economics, 1979, Bolton St College of Technology, Dublin (now the Dublin Institute of Technology)
- BSc (Hons) Surveying, 1979, Trinity College, Dublin
- PhD, 1993, University of Greenwich
- Honorary PhD, 2005, Dublin Institute of Technology.
- Chairman, Construction Industry Research and Information Association (CIRIA)
- Member, the EPSRC Peer Review Associate College
Reviewer, Construction Management and Economics
Reviewer, Journal of Cleaner Production
Reviewer, Journal on Construction Engineering and Management.
Member of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (MRICS), 1983,
Chartered Environmentalist (CEnv), 2007
Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts (FRSA), 2007.
- Cass, N. , Faulconbridge, J. , Connaughton, J. (2018) The office: how standards define 'normal' design practices and work infrastructures. In: Shove, E. and Trentmann, F. , (eds.) Infrastructures in Practice: The Dynamics of Demand in Networked Societies. Routledge , Abingdon. pp. 77-89. ISBN: 9781138476042 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.4324/9781351106177
- Richardson, S. , Hyde, K. , Connaughton, J. (2018) Uncertainty assessment of comparative design stage embodied carbon assessments: decision making under uncertainty. In: Pomponi, F. , De Wolf, C. , Moncaster, A. , (eds.) Embodied Carbon in Buildings: Measurement, Management and Mitigation. Springer , Cham, Switzerland. pp. 51-76. ISBN: 9783319727950 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-72796-7_3
- Connaughton, J. and Hughes, W. (2018) Sustainable procurement. In: Dixon, T. , Connaughton, J. , Green, S. , (eds.) Sustainable Futures in the Built Environment ot 2050: A Foresight Approach to Construction and Development. Wiley Blackwell , Chichester, UK. pp. 194-222. ISBN: 9781119063803
- Dixon, T. , Connaughton, J. , Green, S. (2018) Understanding and shaping sustainable futures in the built environment to 2050. In: Dixon, T. , Connaughton, J. , Green, S. , (eds.) Sustainable Futures in the Built Environment to 2050: A Foresight Approach to Construction and Development. Wiley Blackwell , Oxford. ISBN: 9781119063810
- Dixon, T. , Connaughton, J. , Green, S. (2018) Introduction: foresight and futures studies in construction and development. In: Dixon, T. , Connaughton, J. , Green, S. , (eds.) Sustainable Futures in the Built Environment to 2050: A Foresight Approach to Construction and Development. Wiley Blackwell , Oxford. ISBN: 9781119063810
- Dixon, T. , Connaughton, J. , Green, S. , eds. (2018) Sustainable futures in the built environment to 2050: a foresight approach to construction and development. Wiley Blackwell , Oxford. ISBN: 9781119063810
- Faulconbridge, J. , Cass, N. , Connaughton, J. (2018) How market standards affect building design: the case of low energy design in commercial offices. Environment and Planning A , 50 (3). pp. 627-650. ISSN: 1472-3409 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0308518x17752681
- Connaughton, J. (2016) An introduction to sustainability in construction. In: Hackett, M. and Statham, G. , (eds.) The Aqua Group Guide to Procurement, Tendering and Contract Administration, 2nd Edition. Wiley-Blackwell , Oxford. pp. 335-348. ISBN: 9781118346549
- Medas, M. , Cheshire, D. , Cripps, A. , Connaughton, J. , Peters, M. (2016) Uncertainty, BIM and whole life environmental impacts of building services.
- Singh, A. , Connaughton, J. , Davies, R. (2015) Making sense of corporate social responsibility strategies in construction organisations in the UK. In: Raiden, A. and Aboagye-Nimo, E. , (eds.) Proceedings 31st Annual ARCOM Conference, 7-9 September 2015, Lincoln, UK.. Association of Researchers in Construction Management , Reading. pp. 187-196. ISBN: 9780955239090
- Medas, M. , Cheshire, D. , Cripps, A. , Connaughton, J. , Peters, M. (2015) Towards BIM-integrated, resource-efficient building services.
- Connaughton, J. , Meikle, J. , Teerikangas, S. (2015) Mergers, acquisitions and the evolution of construction professional services firm. Construction Management and Economics , 33 (2). pp. 146-159. ISSN: 0144-6193 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/01446193.2015.1037325
- Richardson, S. , Hyde, K. , Connaughton, J. , Merefield, D. (2014) Service life of UK supermarkets: origins of assumptions and their impact on embodied carbon estimates.
- Connaughton, J. and Weller, S. (2013) Improving collaboration in construction: an opportunity for action research. In: Smith, S. and Ahiaga-Dagbui, D. , (eds.) Proceedings 29th Annual ARCOM Conference, 2-4 September 2013, Reading, UK. Association of Researchers in Construction Management , Reading. pp. 1125-1134. ISBN: 9780955239076
- Connaughton, J. and Meikle, J. (2013) The changing nature of UK construction professional service firms. Building Research and Information , 41 (1). pp. 95-109. ISSN: 0961-3218 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/09613218.2013.742366
- Connaughton, J. and Meikle, J. (2013) The changing nature of UK construction professional service firms. Building Research & Information , 41 (1). pp. 95-109. ISSN: 1466-4321 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/09613218.2013.742366