Dr Shu-Ling Lu
- Director of the MSc Project Management Programme
- Module convenor, Green Innovation in Construction (UG), Project Management: Principles and Practice -
A & B (PG), Construction Sector Transition (PG).
Areas of interest
Innovation management in construction, quality management in construction (e.g. ISO9001, total quality management, defects), low-carbon buildings, transition management to low-carbon built environments, heritage buildings, academia-industry engagement, and gender issues in construction.
Research centres and groupsUniversity of Reading Organisation, People and Technology Research Group
- Co-investigator, November 2018 – October 2020. Climate service for resilience to overheating risk in Colombo, Sri Lanka: a multi-scale mapping approach (COSMA) (NE/S005889/1). Natural Environment Research Council (NERC). Collaborative project involving the University of Reading (lead organisation), Glasgow Caledonian University and University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka. NERC award value £252,917.
- UK Management Committee member, June 2015 – April 2019. Innovation in intelligent management of heritage buildings (TD1406). European Cooperation in Science and Technology (COST). Action involving 26 COST country institutions, including Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Estonia, France, FYR Macedonia, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom. COST award value €122,000 per annum.
- Principal supervisor, August 2013 – July 2017. Investigation and analysis of new housing defects during initial ten years after occupation (EP/ G037787/1). Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) – Technologies for Sustainable Built Environments (TSBE) Centre at the University of Reading and the National House-Building Council (NHBC) Foundation. EPSRC TSBE contribution value £72,760. NHBC contribution value £12,000.
- Co-investigator, Sept. 2010 – August 2012. Maximising the diffusion and impact of microgeneration technologies in new housing (EP/H051104/1). EPSRC. Collaborative project involving the University of Reading (lead organisation), National House Building Council Foundation, British Electrotechnical and Allied Manufacturers Association, Home Builders Federation and EDF. EPSRC award value £186,700.
- Project manager, August 2008 – July 2009. Demand-led LED lighting new product development for the retail sector. Construction Knowledge Exchange (CKE). Collaborative project involving seven industrial partners. CKE award value £42,000.
- Project manager. 2008–09. International home warranty and customer satisfaction survey. National House-Building Council (NHBC). Collaborative project involving 14 international institutional partners. NHBC award value £60,000.
- Project manager. 2008–09 Planning process duration variability in the National Audit Office planning land and consents phase. Home Builders Federation (HBF). Statistical analysis of data from 587 housing developments HBF award value £10,000.
My interest in construction management was kindled in me from an earlier age, being brought up in a family which runs a construction company in Taiwan. I have been fully engaged in the built environment field since 1992, either as a practitioner, student or lecturer.
The professional practice experience I have gained has been in site engineering and quality management consultancy and training. My graduate and postgraduate qualifications are in a broad range of built environment disciplines, including architectural engineering, construction engineering and construction management.
- PhD, University of Salford (UoS), UK
- MSc Construction Engineering. National Taiwan University of Science and Technology (NTUST), Taiwan
- BSc Construction Engineering (Hons), NTUST, Taiwan
- Diploma in Architectural Engineering, Department of Architectural Engineering, National Lienho College of Technology and Commerce, Taiwan
- Member, the EPSRC Peer Review Associate College
- Chair and Committee member, Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB) – Reading Hub (https://www.ciob.org/)
- Committee member, Association of Researchers in Construction Management (ARCOM)
- Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Building (FCIOB)
- Fellow of Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
- Chartered Quality Management Engineer, Taiwan.
- Bevan, W. , Lu, S. , Sexton, M. (2020) Skills required to deliver energy efficient school retrofit buildings. Engineering, Construction and Architectural Management , 27 (10). pp. 3051-3073. ISSN: 0969-9988 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/ECAM-03-2019-0126
- Degrigny, C. , Borgarino, P. , Cefai, S. , Hortal Muñoz, J. , Irbe, I. , Leus, M. , Lu, S. , Lobovikov-Katz, A. , Marinkovic, M. , Martins, J. , Migliorati, L. , Migliorini, M. , Patias, P. , Shendova, V. , Sylaiou, S. , Turkalj Podmanicki, M. , Tavares, A. , Walliser Martin, M. (2019) Integration of heritage buildings and sites in their surroundings. Nova. FCT Editorial , Lisbon, Portugal. ISBN: 978989-5449309
- Tavares, A. , Sorjef, D. , Lu, S. (2019) Heritage building / site use cases’ STSMs: early stage researchers’ perspective. In: Martins, J. , (eds.) Innovation in Intelligent Management of Heritage Buildings. University of Zagreb - International Research Center for Late Antiquity and the Middle Ages , Motovun, Croatia. pp. 20-29. ISBN: 9789538250040
- Degrigny, C. , Lobovikov-Katz, A. , Lu, S. , Tavares, A. (2019) Integration of heritage buildings and sites within their surroundings. In: Martins, J. , (eds.) Innovation in Intelligent Management of Heritage Buildings. University of Zagreb - International Research Center for Late Antiquity and the Middle Ages , Motovun, Croatia. pp. 54-67. ISBN: 9789538250040
- Hopkin, T. , Lu, S. , Sexton, M. , Rogers, P. (2019) Learning from defects in the UK housing sector using action research: a case study of a housing association. Engineering, Construction and Architectural Management , 26 (8). pp. 1608-1624. ISSN: 0969-9988 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/ECAM-04-2018-0146
- Hopkin, T. , Lu, S. , Rogers, P. , Sexton, M. (2017) Key stakeholders’ perspectives towards UK new-build housing defects. International Journal of Building Pathology and Adaptation , 35 (2). pp. 110-123. ISSN: 2398-4708 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/IJBPA-06-2016-0012
- Dixon, T. , Van de Wetering, J. , Sexton, M. , Lu, S. , Williams, D. , Ulutas Duman, D. , Chen, X. (2017) Smart cities, big data and the built environment: what's required?. RICS , London.
- Hopkin, T. , Lu, S. , Rogers, P. , Sexton, M. (2016) A soft systems methodology approach to the improvement of a housing association’s defects management and learning systems. pp. 1283-1292.
- Wang, H. , Sexton, M. , Lu, S. (2016) Investment by Chinese construction firms in the UK infrastructure sector: volumes, patterns and trends. pp. 1127-1136.
- Khan, K. , Flanagan, R. , Lu, S. (2016) Managing information complexity using system dynamics on construction projects. Construction Management and Economics , 34 (3). pp. 192-204. ISSN: 0144-6193 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/01446193.2016.1190026
- Hopkin, T. , Lu, S. , Phil, R. , Sexton, M. (2016) Detecting defects in the UK new-build housing sector: a learning perspective. Construction Management and Economics , 34 (1). pp. 35-45. ISSN: 0144-6193 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/01446193.2016.1162316
- Hopkin, T. , Lu, S. , Philip, R. , Sexton, M. (2016) Reducing defects through organizational learning within a Housing Association environment. International Journal of Civil, Environmental, Structural, Construction and Architectural Engineering , 10 (4). pp. 294-301. | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1999/1307-6892/10003925
- Khan, K. , Flanagan, R. , Lu, S. (2015) Managing the complexity of information flow for construction small and medium-sized enterprises (CSMEs) using system dynamics and collaborative technologies. pp. 1177-1186.
- Young, B. , Harty, C. , Lu, S. , Davies, R. (2015) Developing temporary manufacturing facilities for residential building: a case of the modern flying factory. pp. 1033-1042.
- Hopkin, T. , Lu, S. , Rogers, P. , Sexton, M. (2015) Detecting defects in UK new-build housing: a learning perspective. pp. 1073-1082.
- Bevan, W. , Lu, S. , Sexton, M. (2015) An investigation of the required skills for the delivery of low and zero carbon buildings within a region.
- Hopkin, T. , Lu, S. , Rogers, P. , Sexton, M. (2015) Investigating the impact of defects on key stakeholders in the UK new housing sector. (35)
- Hopkin, T. , Lu, S. , Rogers, P. , Sexton, M. (2014) Placing defects at the heart of high quality new homes: a learning perspective. pp. 1155-1164.
- Bevan , W. and Lu, S. (2012) A multidisciplinary literature review of low and zero carbon technologies into new housing. pp. 1435-1444.
- Bevan, W. and Lu, S. (2012) A socio-technical network approach to the adoption of low and zero carbon technologies in new housing.
- Sexton, M. and Lu, S. (2012) Construction innovation: theory and practice. In: Akintoye, A. , Goulding, J. , Zawdie, G. , (eds.) Construction innovation and process improvement. Wiley-Blackwell Publishing , Oxford . pp. 45-62. ISBN: 9781405156486 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/9781118280294
- Lu, S. and Sexton, M. (2011) New governance approaches to environmental regulation: an example of the Code for Sustainable Homes (CSH). pp. 1065-1074.
- Lu, S. (2011) System innovation for sustainable built environments: the case of light emitting diodes. (ISBN: 9789052693958)
- Jeong, K. , Lu, S. , Sexton, M. (2010) Good practice transfer within small construction specialist trade contractors. pp. 769-778.
- Lu, S. and Sexton, M. (2010) New high technology product development: The case of light emitting diodes.
- Lu, S. and Sexton, M. (2010) Career journeys and turning points of senior female managers in small construction firms. Construction Management and Economics , 28 (2). pp. 125-139. ISSN: 0144-6193 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/01446190903280450
- Yun, . , Lu, . , Sexton, . (2009) Knowledge mapping: A contingency approach.
- Sexton, . and Lu, . (2009) The challenges of creating actionable knowledge: an action research perspective. Construction Management and Economics , 27 (7). pp. 683-694. ISSN: 0144-6193 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/01446190903037702
- Lu, . and Sexton, . (2009) Innovation in small professional practices in the built environment. Real Estate State Issues Book Series Wiley Blackwell , Oxford,UK. pp 240. ISBN: 9781405191401
- Lu, . and Sexton, . (2009) Entrepreneurship within high technology sectors: The case of a light emitting diode module start-up company.
- Lu, S. and Sexton, M. (2008) Senior female managers in small construction firms within the North West of England: an update. pp. 921-929. (Association of Researchers in Construction Management, Vol. 2. ISBN: 9780955239014)
- Lu, S. and Sexton, M. (2008) Key characteristics of small construction firms: a United Kingdom perspective.
- Sexton, M. , Abbot, C. , Lu, S. (2008) Challenging the illusion of the all powerful clients' role in driving innovation. In: Brandon, P. and Lu , S. , (eds.) Clients Driving Innovation. Wiley-Blackwell pp. 43-48. ISBN: 9781405175661
- Lu, S. (2008) The role of the client in the innovation processes of small construction professional service. In: Brandon, P. and Lu, S. , (eds.) Clients Driving Innovation. Wiley-Blackwell pp. 111-124. ISBN: 9781405175661
- Lu, S. and Sexton, M. (2008) The evolution of sustainable development. In: Murray, M. and Dainty, A. , (eds.) Corporate Social Responsibility in the Construction Industry. Taylor & Francis pp. 191-213. ISBN: 9780415362085
- Brandon, P. and Lu, S. , eds. (2008) Clients driving innovation. Wiley- Blackwell , Oxford, UK. pp 296. ISBN: 9781405175661
- Sexton, M. , Kähkönen, K. , Lu, S. (2007) CIB priority theme - Revaluing construction: a W065 'organisation and management of construction' perspective. CIB (313). , Rotterdam. ISBN: 9789063630539
- Lu, S. , Abbott, C. , Jones, V. , Sexton, M. (2007) The role of innovation circles in stimulating innovation in small construction firms. pp. 199-2010.
- Abbott, C. , Sexton, M. , Jones, V. , Lu, S. (2007) Action learning as an enabler for technology transfer . RICS Research Paper Series , 7 pp. 1-42.
- Lu, S. and Sexton, M. (2006) Women in NW construction SMEs. University of Salford , Manchester.
- Lu, S. and Sexton, M. (2006) ACTION: A checklist for the action researcher. pp. 589-597.
- Sexton, M. and Lu, S. (2006) (Fr)agile innovation in small professional service firms. pp. 357-365.
- Lu, S. and Sexton, M. (2006) Exploitative innovation in large professional service firms.
- Lu, S. and Sexton, M. (2006) Innovation in small construction knowledge-intensive professional service firms. RICS Research Paper Series , 6 (14). pp. 1-52. ISSN: 1464-648X | doi: ISBN: 1842192485
- Lu, S. and Sexton, M. (2006) Innovation in small construction knowledge-intensive professional service firms: a case study of an architectural practice. Construction Management and Economics , 24 (12). pp. 1269-1282. ISSN: 1466-433X | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/01446190600879109
- Lu, S. and Sexton, M. (2004) How do small knowledge-intensive professional service firms develop their sustainable competitive advantage through innovation.
- Lu, S. and Sexton, M. (2004) Knowledge-based innovation in small knowledge-intensive professional service firms: an under developed research area? .
- Sexton, M. and Lu, S. (2004) Appropriate research design for investigating innovation in small knowledge-intensive professional service firms.
- Yang, P. and Lu, S. (2000) The automatic layout model in the sequencing of construction activities of multi-objective diaphragm wall unit by using self-learning neural network. pp. 799-806.
- Yang, P. and Lu, S. (2000) The study of using self-learning neural network in automatic construction-site layout. pp. 839-845.
- Yang, P. and Lu, S. (2000) Combining self-learning neural network and neighbor search algorithms to solve the TSP problems. Transportation Planning Journal , 29 (2). pp. 281-294.
- Yang, P. and Lu, S. (2000) Study on the optimal model using self-learning neural network for the layout of construction engineering material. Journal of Cheng Shiu Junior College of Technology & Commerce. , 13 pp. 61-67.
- Yang, P. and Lu, S. (2000) An optimization for construction earthwork resource deployment by using artificial neural network. Journal of Cheng Shiu Junior College of Technology & Commerce , 13 pp. 69-77.