University of Reading cookie policy

We use cookies on to improve your experience, monitor site performance and tailor content to you.

Read our cookie policy to find out how to manage your cookie settings.

Travel "on the Business of the University of Reading (UK)"

If you are travelling for University business, please ensure that you read the COVID-19 Insurance and Travel FAQs.


For information on booking travel, please see I want to buy > Travel including flights and train tickets.



When you travel on the business of the University of Reading, you are covered by RSA travel and emergency medical insurance.

RSA Policy Number: RTT306251

The following pages give a summary of the cover available and a link for making claims.


Before you travel "on the business of the University" you must:

  • Risk assessment is important and wherever you are travelling you should also review the

    Risk Assessment page.

  • Following reading Code of Practice 38, determine if you are travelling to a low risk location by using the Overseas Risk Profiling Tool and get approval from your line manager. Where the FCDO has advised restrictions on travel, or another factor significantly increases risk, use the Overseas Travel Risk Assessment - Medium and High Risk form - approval from Head of School or Function will normally be required. Your local Health & Safety Co-ordinator can provide further advice on risk assessment.

  • If you are a member of staff at University of Reading (UK) travelling "on business" you must complete the Overseas Staff Travel Form. Please connect to the VPN first, if off-campus.

  • If you are a student at University of Reading (UK) or RUMAL travelling, please complete the online risk management form for students on RISIS (under 'Actions' select 'Student Risk Management').

Please check the following for the latest update of FCDO Advice and sanctioned countries.


The University's policy on travelling to countries on the FCO's travel advisory list

The University's Executive Board have approved a policy with regard to travel by staff on University business or students in connection with their studies to countries for which the Foreign  Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) have issued travel advisory notices.

Where advice from the FCDO not to travel is in force it is not a matter of personal decision whether to travel to the affected country, since any untoward incident would risk exposing the University reputationally, legally or both. For this reason, any proposed journey to, or within, an affected country by staff on University business or students in connection with their studies can only be made with express permission of the Vice-Chancellor.


The Foreign Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) is a good place to start with checking information.

For a current view on political, social, and travel information in countries A to Z, please log on to the Foreign Commonwealth and Development Office website.

Assistance from both Healix and Drum Cussac can be accessed by telephoning:
+44 (0) 2086084100 (for your protection calls may be recorded or monitored) or emailing

You will need the UoR policy number RTT306251

Once registered and logged in, on the home page there is a "before you travel" option. Herein you may be directed to a new page which contains the country guides and you can run a full report the country of interest which will give information on security and self awareness etc"

If you have to travel to a country where the FCDO state "all but essential travel (or do not travel)" you will require Head of School approval.

If you are travelling to a SANCTIONED country, you must complete the Sanctioned territories travel questionnaire (Word, 23.2KB) and send to

Important reminder

To be recognized as "on business for the University of Reading" you must be a Director, Employee or Student of the Insured contracted to the UK Entity i.e. if a student you must be registered in the UK for insurance cover to be valid.

Help when travelling/making a claim

Emergency medical and travel assistance 24/7

Tel: +44 (0) 2086 084 100


Medical Insurance Template with Card

Travel Assistance App

RSA LUPC Group Personal Accident and Business Travel Policy

Purchase cards

If you experience a problem with your university purchase card and need the limit extended or if you have any issue with your purchase card, you can contact the team on:


Tel: +44 (0)118 378 6135

Open 9.00am - 5.00pm Mon-Thurs UK time) & Friday 9.00am till 4.30pm.

All other claims:

Telephone: +44 (0) 330 102 4093 (lines open 09:00-17:00, Mon-Fri)


Post: RSA Group, Accident and Health Claims, Alexander Bain House, 15 York Street, Glasgow, G2 8LA.

RSA Travel Claim Form

Incidental holiday

We appreciate that from time to time insured persons will request extension of the Travel Insurance to provide cover in respect of Holiday trips in conjunction with a formal trip for the member organisation. RSA take the view that it is reasonable to extend a business trip, before or after such trip for a number of days relative to the business duration.

Incidental holidays do not intend to accommodate what would normally be considered to be stand-alone holiday cover.

The following guide may be used, but to discuss any particular trip details you are unsure about please contact to discuss.

Business trip duration (days) Holiday duration (days)
Less than 5 0
5-12 2
13-21 5
22-35 8
36-50 12
51-65 16
66-80 20
81-100 23
101-365 25
Over 365 28

Cover includes stopping off in another country.


If you take regular medication (prescribed) please ensure you take an adequate stock when you travel overseas. This travel insurance policy will not pay for asthma inhalers (for example) if you forget to take them.

Further information

For other claims please contact the Insurance Office on 0118 378 8309 or by email:

International students who are required to travel abroad whilst at the University can obtain a Certificate of Insurance from the Insurance Office before applying for a visa from the appropriate embassy.

Up to date information about the use/benefits of the EHIC (European Health Insurance Card) can be found on the Department of Health website