University of Reading cookie policy

We use cookies on to improve your experience, monitor site performance and tailor content to you.

Read our cookie policy to find out how to manage your cookie settings.

Travel "on the Business of the University of Reading (UK)"


The new Travel Policy comes into effect from 1 August 2023 and is based on the set of Sustainable Travel Principles published in 2022 and developed with input from a range of colleagues and the Students’ Union. The policy includes measures to reduce business flights and encourage colleagues to consider the carbon footprint of all their travel decisions.

Travel Policy 

  Travel Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Additional changes to improve and simplify travel booking and approval processes are being worked on, led by Procurement and a number of colleagues, with the aim of saving colleagues time and improving their working lives. Areas to be covered are:

  1. Develop training and guidance material for staff/students in all roles and responsibilities
  2. Improve website portal and information
  3. Review third party supplier relationships related to travel
  4. Review systems associated with risk assessments and booking travel
  5. Update the Expenses Policy



For information on BOOKING TRAVEL, please see I want to buy > Travel including flights and train tickets.

To be recognized as "on business for the University of Reading" you must be a Director, Employee or Student of the Insured contracted to the UK Entity i.e. if a student you must be registered in the UK for insurance cover to be valid.  

Before you travel "on the business of the University" you must:

  1. Read The University's Safety Code of Practice 38 on Overseas Travel and where it is fieldwork then Safety Code of Practice 32 also applies
  2. Risk assessment is important and wherever you are travelling you should also review the Risk Assessment page.
  3. After reading COP38, you will need to complete the international travel risk assessment TRA1.  This will need to be authorised by your Head of School or Function.  Where the FCDO advises against all travel, or you are travelling to a sanctioned country, you will need to seek further authorisation from the Vice Chancellor before booking travel.  Your local Health and Safety Coordinator can provide further advice on risk assessment.
  4. If you are a member of staff at University of Reading (UK) travelling "on business" you must complete the Overseas Staff Travel Form. Please connect to the VPN first, if off-campus.
  5. If you are a student at University of Reading (UK) or RUMAL travelling, please complete the online risk management form for students on RISIS (under 'Actions' select 'Student Risk Management').
  6. Although not mandatory it is recommended that ideally, UK (non-fieldwork) travel should be risk assessed.  For guidance please refer to UK travel risk assessment TRA2  - This relates to off-campus activities for staff and post-graduate students conducting UK travel for business purposes.  This is likely to be for conferences and any non-fieldwork type activities such as meetings at other Universities/Institutes. It does not include personal travel or day to day commuting to one’s place of work.
  7. Any overseas fieldwork trips planned to Sanctioned or High-risk Territories, as listed on this page,  must be declared to our insurers as there may be an additional premium due to ensure cover is in place.  Please complete the Security Questionnaire as soon as possible and submit this to the  at least 21 days prior to departure to the Sanctioned or High-risk territory.


The University’s Travel Insurance is provided by AIG ( American International Group UK Limited) 

Details of the Lifeline Plus Policy, a summary of its features and confirmation of cover for your trip are available here:

AIG Lifeline Travel Policy Wording

AIG Cover Confirmation Letter and Travel Pack

Lifeline Plus virtual certificate Download Guide


Lifeline Plus policy number 0010016165

Travellers are advised to review information on the country or countries they plan to visit by logging on to the AIG Travel Guard webpage. This is an online travel assistance service provided by our insurers to help you prepare for a trip and support you while you’re travelling.  Here you can sign up to country specific risk alerts and access travel guidance & advice.

In addition to this Travellers can also access full travel, security and assistance services directly on their mobile phones, via the Lifeline Plus Travel Assistance AppThe App features a quick-call help button, together with a geo-fenced check-in tool  that enables you to notify selected contacts that you have arrived safely and also offers the benefit of a quick claim notification service.  There is access to a  GPS enabled medical provider finder, medical translation and drug brand equivalency tools, country and city reports, security alerts and online training modules. To download the app onto an iPhone or Android device please refer to the App Download Guide

You will need to register for this both these services using your staff email address and Policy Number 0010016165


If you are intending to travel to Qatar on University business there have recently been some significant changes to the entry requirements.  As a result of these changes the University Travel insurance will not be accepted by Qatar facilities and will no longer respond in the event of a medical emergency and provide cover for any associated costs.

All visitors to Qatar must now obtain health insurance covering their intended stay in the country from accredited insurance companies listed by the Ministry of Public Health in the State of Qatar and failure to evidence Qatar Healthcare cover will result in denial of entry.

Full details are available on the FCDO website  Entry requirements - Qatar travel advice - GOV.UK (  however, if you require any further information please contact the insurance office

The cost of buying this additional insurance can be claimed back via expenses.


As recommended the Travel Assistance App provides a wealth of features and information for your trip and it has a QUICK CALL HELP BUTTON  which will connect you immediately to emergency travel, medical and security assistance.   There is also a FILE A CLAIM option for all non-emergency claims.

Otherwise, you can contact the dedicated claims teams by phone, email or post.

For Emergency Medical Treatment or Emergency Assistance contact AIG Lifeline Plus Assistance Emergency Number immediately : +44 (0) 1273 456 463 (24 hours a day, 365 days a year). You will need to quote policy number 0010016165

Money and personal property claims - contact the Concierge Claims Service: 

Tel : 0344 892 0319 (UK Only)  +44 (0) 207 359 3433 (Worldwide)  (Open 8am-6pm Monday to Friday UK time, excluding public holidays) please state part of LUPC scheme   E-Mail:

All Other Claims including Personal Accident, Travel Cancellation or Curtailment:

Tel : +44 (0)345 602 9429 Tel +44 (0)208 253 7401  (Open 9.15am – 5pm Mon-Fri UK time)


Or By Post : The Accident & Health Claims Department, American International Group UK Limited, The AIG Building, 2 – 8 Altyre Road, Croydon CR9 2LG

Any other travel enquiries (Open 8am-6pm Mon-Fri UK time) Tel: +44 (0)1273 456 463





The Foreign Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO)

The Foreign Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) is a good place to start with checking information.

For a current view on political, social, and travel information in countries A to Z, please log on to the Foreign Commonwealth and Development Office website.

For general advice about travelling abroad including the latest information on coronavirus, safety and security, entry requirements and travel warnings . Please check the latest update by destination here FCDO Advice.

The University's Executive Board have approved a policy with regard to travel by staff on University business or students in connection with their studies to countries for which the Foreign  Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) have issued travel advisory notices.

Where advice from the FCDO not to travel is in force it is not a matter of personal decision whether to travel to the affected country, since any untoward incident would risk exposing the University reputationally, legally or both. For this reason, any proposed journey to, or within, an affected country by staff on University business or students in connection with their studies can only be made with express permission of the Vice-Chancellor.

If you have to travel to a country where the FCDO state "all but essential travel (or do not travel)" you will require Head of School approval.


Sanctions consist of a wide range of political and/or economic measures which are put in place by international, regional and state bodies with the aim of influencing the behaviour of a particular country’s regimes, individuals or groups. The types of sanctions measures put in place can vary widely including (inter alia): financial restrictions, import/export restrictions and travel bans.

Please check the latest FCDO update of ALL financial sanctions imposed in the UK here sanctioned countries

If you are travelling to one of the sanctioned countries listed below, you must complete the Sanctioned territories referral questionnaire before you travel as approval by insurers is required before cover can be provided.  Travelling to such countries can increase the risk of travel, so our insurers need to consider carefully the full details of your planned activities before travel commences. The questionnaire should be completed as soon as possible, at least 21 days prior to departure and sent to

  • Belarus
  • Crimea Region of Ukraine
  • Cuba
  • Iran
  • North Korea
  • Russia
  • Sudan
  • South Sudan
  • Syria

University of Reading Financial Sanctions Policy

In addition to Sanctioned countries, our insurers also require the university to declare trips to high risk territories.  Due to these increased risks our insurers need to consider carefully the full details of your planned activities before travel commences. If you are travelling to any of the following destinations please complete the Security Questionnaire as soon as possible and submit this to the insurance office at least 21 days prior to departure

  • Afghanistan
  • Chechnya
  • Iraq
  • Somalia



Dangerous Sports and Activities

During your free time whilst on your trip overseas you may wish to participate in sports and other activities such as cycling, scuba diving, skiing.  There are generally no activity exclusions under the policy however it is recommended that the traveller use a reputable company who hold sufficient insurance.

There is one stipulation in relation to any diving undertaken in excess of 25m depth, primarily whereby diving is for research purposes.   Please contact the insurance office  A copy of the risk assessment is required by insurers before cover can be confirmed.

It should also be noted that the Personal Liability section of the policy excludes claims arising whilst in operation of mechanically propelled vehicles and/or watercraft

if you have any particular details you are unsure about please contact to discuss.

Incidental holiday cover

Insurers accept that from time to time insured persons will request extension of the Travel Insurance to provide cover in respect of Holiday trips in conjunction with a formal business trip. It is considered  reasonable to extend a business trip, before or after such trip for a number of days relative to the business duration.  Incidental holidays do not intend to accommodate what would normally be considered to be stand-alone holiday cover.

If you have any particular trip details you are unsure about please contact to discuss.

Business trip duration (days) Holiday duration (days)
Less than 5 0
5-12 2
13-21 5
22-35 8
36-50 12
51-65 16
66-80 20
81-100 23
101-365 25
Over 365 28

Cover includes stopping off in another country.



If you take regular medication (prescribed) please ensure you take an adequate stock when you travel overseas. This travel insurance policy will not pay for asthma inhalers (for example) if you forget to take them.

Purchase cards

If you experience a problem with your university purchase card and need the limit extended or if you have any issue with your purchase card, you can contact the team on:


Tel: +44 (0)118 378 6135

Open 9.00am - 5.00pm Mon-Thurs UK time) & Friday 9.00am till 4.30pm.

Further information

For any other assistance please contact the Insurance Office on 0118 378 8309 or by email:

International students who are required to travel abroad whilst at the University can obtain a Certificate of Insurance from the Insurance Office before applying for a visa from the appropriate embassy.

Up to date information about the use/benefits of the EHIC (European Health Insurance Card) can be found on the Department of Health website