Dr Benjamin Bland
As a postdoctoral research fellow I am unable to supervise PGRs but I am happy to offer what support I can on any research connected to my own, or to offer advice to PGRs who are in the process of developing postdoctoral applications.
I am not teaching in 2021/22. My teaching specialisations focus on twentieth-century British history (especially decolonisation, race and immigration, popular culture, and national identity) and on the broader histories of capitalism and fascism. I tend to make heavy use of audio-visual resources (especially music) in my teaching. I am a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
Awards and honours
- Liburd, L. , Jackson, P. , James, L. , Carstocea, R. , Hedinger, D. , Bergin, C. , Bland, B. ORCID: 0000-0002-6620-8096 , Smith, E. , Hyslop, J. , Zachariah, B. , Campbell, C. (2021) Debate: decolonising fascist studies. Fascism , 10 (2). pp. 323-345. ISSN: 2211-6257 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1163/22116257-bja10039
- Bland, B. ORCID: 0000-0002-6620-8096 (2020) Global fascism? The British National Front and the Transnational Politics of the “Third Way” in the 1980s. Radical History Review , 2020 (138). pp. 108-130. ISSN: 1534-1453 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1215/01636545-8359443
- Bland, B. ORCID: 0000-0002-6620-8096 (2019) Holocaust inversion, anti-Zionism and British neo-fascism: the Israel-Palestine conflict and the extreme right in post-war Britain. Patterns of Prejudice , 53 (1). pp. 86-97. ISSN: 14617331 0031322X | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/0031322X.2018.1536347
- Bland, B. ORCID: 0000-0002-6620-8096 (2019) ‘Publish and be damned?’ Race, crisis, and the press in England during the long, hot summer of 1976. Immigrants & Minorities , 37 (3). pp. 163-183. ISSN: 1744-0521 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/02619288.2020.1781626
- Bland, B. ORCID: 0000-0002-6620-8096 (2018) 'Don't do as you're told, do as you think': the transgressive zine culture of industrial music in the 1970s and 1980s. In: Subcultures, N. , (eds.) Ripped, Torn and Cut: Pop, Politics and Punk Fanzines from 1976. Ripped, torn and cut pp. 150-169. ISBN: 9781526120595