Dr William Davies
Areas of interest
My work is concentrated on twentieth-century literature and war with a special interest in historicist and archive methodologies. I publish and present regularly on the work of Samuel Beckett, with articles, book chapters and a forthcoming monograph (Bloomsbury, forthcoming 2020) detailing various aspects of Beckett's work in relation to the Second World War.
I have also published on Beckett's late style and his relation to T.S. Eliot. I am co-editing books on Beckett and politics (with Helen Bailey, Palgrave Macmillan, forthcoming 2020) and on Beckett's poetry (with James Brophy). I have also published on Donald Davie as part of my work on post-1945 English poetry.
I have contributed postdoctoral research assistance to AHRC bid development for Professor Steven Matthews (University of Reading, 2018) and was a Samuel Beckett Research Centre Postdoctoral Research Fellow (2018–19). I am an Associate Fellow of the Higher Education Academy and have taught at undergraduate and postgraduate level in the University of Reading Department of English Literature (2015–present), and at undergraduate level at Oxford Brookes University (2018–present).
- Bignell, J. and Davies, W. (2020) Introduction: Harold Pinter’s transmedial histories. Historical Journal of Film, Radio & Television , 40 pp. 481-498. ISSN: 1465-3451 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/01439685.2020.1778314
- Davies, W. (2020) Samuel Beckett's trilogy and the revolution of the body in Vichy France. Twentieth-Century Literature , 66 (1). pp. 11-36. ISSN: 0041-462X | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1215/0041462X-8196685
- Davies, W. (2020) 'Crawling in the Flanders mud': Samuel Beckett, war writing and scatological pacifism. Journal of War and Culture Studies , 13 (2). pp. 145-162. ISSN: 1752-6280 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/17526272.2019.1644273
- Davies, W. (2019) “Occasional extinction or more likely occultation”: form and source in “Long Observation of the Ray”. Samuel Beckett Today/Aujourd'hui , 31 (1). pp. 82-97. ISSN: 0927-3131 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/18757405-03101007
- Davies, W. (2019) Donald Davie and Englishness. The Review of English Studies , 70 (294). pp. 332-353. ISSN: 0034-6551 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/res/hgy106
- Davies, W. (2018) ‘A new occasion, a new term of relation’: Samuel Beckett and T. S. Eliot. Beckett and Modernism. Springer pp. 111-127. | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-70374-9_8
- Davies, W. (2018) Samuel Beckett and the Second World War: historicising Beckett’s post-humanism.
- Davies, W. (2017) “Home and visiting temperaments”: Beckett’s diasporic encounters. In: Bariselli, M. , Bowe, N. , Davies, W. , (eds.) Samuel Beckett and Europe: History, Culture, Tradition. Cambridge Scholars Publishing , Cambridge. pp. 55-76. ISBN: 9781443896306
- Davies, W. (2017) Introduction: Samuel Beckett and the question of Europe. In: Bariselli, M. , Bowe, N. , Davies, W. , (eds.) Samuel Beckett and Europe: History, Culture, Tradition. Cambridge Scholars Publishing , Cambridge. pp. 1-14. ISBN: 9781443896306
- Davies, W. , Bariselli, M. , Bowe, N. , eds. (2017) Samuel Beckett and Europe: history, culture, tradition. Cambridge Scholars ISBN: 9781443896306
- Davies, W. (2017) A text become provisional: revisiting the capital of the ruins. Journal of Beckett Studies , 26 (2). pp. 169-187. ISSN: 1759-7811 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.3366/jobs.2017.0201