Dr Simone Knox
- Director of Teaching & Learning (Film, Theatre & Television)
- Undergraduate Programme Director
Areas of interest
My main research interests lie in the analysis of television and film, especially aesthetics and medium specificity, acting and performance, adaptation and translation (including dubbing and subtitling), representations of the body and minority identity, and the lived experience of screen culture.
My recent publications include the co-authored monograph Friends: A Reading of the Sitcom, a book chapter interrogating the notion of British acting, and a journal article on the representations of British Chinese identity in British television drama.
I would welcome enquiries from prospective postgraduate students on my research interests, as well as those with an interest in my key research methodologies, which include close textual analysis, practitioner interview and archive research. I am currently supervising PhDs on representations of Chinese identity in contemporary Spanish film and television, Peter Shaffer and the adaptation process from stage to screen, screening the cultural heritage of the 1980s on contemporary US television, and filmmakers with disabilities and film expression in contemporary India (practice-as-research).
Completed doctoral projects
- Jamila Baluch, Representations of Race in Contemporary US Television Drama
- Tamara Courage, Contemporary Chinese Independent Cinema: Urban Spaces, Mobility, Memory
- Michael Fitzgerald, Representations of Native Americans in US Television Drama
- Tonia Kazakopoulou, Olga Malea's Films
- Trevor Rawlins, Actor Training for Television
- Timotheus Vermeulen, The Suburb in Contemporary Film and Television
- Identity, Agency, Advocacy
- Contemporary Documentary
- Advanced Practical Project: Film/TV
- Dissertation (BA)
- Popular Television Genres
- Creative Practice: Film/TV
- Member of the operational board for Critical Studies in Television
- Member of the European Communication Research and Education Association (ECREA), Television Studies Sub-Section
- Member of the European Network for Cinema and Media Studies (NECS)
- Member of the European Television History Network
- Member of the Gesellschaft für Medienwissenschaft, Germany
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Cassidy, G. and Knox, S. (2019) An actor diversifies: a diachronic examination of the work and career of Tony Curran. In: Fife Donaldson, L. and Walters, J. (eds.) Television Performance. Red Globe Press , London. pp. 168-187. ISBN: 9781137608192
- Knox, S. and Schwind, K. , eds. (2019) Friends: a reading of the sitcom. Palgrave Macmillan ISBN: 9783030254285 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-25429-2
- Knox, S. and Cassidy, G. (2019) Game of Thrones: investigating British acting. In: Hills, M. , Hilmes, M. , Pearson, R. (eds.) Transatlantic Television Drama: Industries, Programs and Fans. Oxford University Press , Oxford. pp. 181-202. ISBN: 9780190663124
- Knox, S. (2019) Representations of British Chinese identities and British television drama: mapping the field. Journal of British Cinema and Television , 16 (2). pp. 125-145. ISSN: 1755-1714 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.3366/jbctv.2019.0465
- Knox, S. (2019) The unwitting pioneer of transatlantic format adaptation: Beryl Vertue. Historical Journal of Film, Radio and Television , 39 (2). pp. 341-365. ISSN: 0143-9685 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/01439685.2018.1522790
- Cassidy, G. and Knox, S. (2018) Phil Davis: the process of acting. Critical Studies in Television: The International Journal of Television Studies , 13 (3). pp. 315-332. ISSN: 1749-6020 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/1749602018785833
- Knox, S. and Lacey, S. , eds. (2018) Acting on television: analytical methods and approaches. Critical Studies in Television , 13. SAGE (3).
- Knox, S. and Weissmann, E. , eds. (2018) European cultures of production. Critical Studies in Television , 13. SAGE (2).
- Lacey, S. and Knox, S. (2018) Acting on television: analytical methods and approaches. Critical Studies in Television , 13 (3). pp. 257-261. ISSN: 1749-6020 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/1749602018782046
- Knox, S. (2018) Crossing broadcasters: the transatlantic exchange between Sylvester ‘Pat’ Weaver and Sir Ian Jacob, 1955-1956. Historical Journal of Film, Radio and Television , 38 (4). pp. 843-862. ISSN: 1465-3451 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/01439685.2017.1412920
- Knox, S. and Weissmann, E. (2018) European cultures of production. Critical Studies in Television , 13 (2). pp. 133-136. ISSN: 1749-6020 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/1749602018763202
- Knox, S. (2018) Exploring the casting of British and Irish actors in contemporary US film and television. In: Cantrell, T. and Hogg, C. (eds.) Exploring television acting. Bloomsbury , London. pp. 154-170. ISBN: 9781474248594
- Knox, S. (2018) Shameless, the push-pull of transatlantic fiction format adaptation, and star casting. New Review of Film and Television Studies , 16 (3). pp. 295-323. ISSN: 1740-7923 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/17400309.2018.1487130
- Knox, S. and Derhy Kurtz, B. (2017) Texture, realism, performance: exploring the intersection of transtexts and the contemporary sitcom. In: Derhy Kurtz, B. and Bourdaa, M. (eds.) The Rise of Transtexts: Challenges and Opportunities. Routledge Research in Cultural and Media Studies Routledge pp. 49-67. ISBN: 9781138944671
- Knox, S. (2013) Eye candy for the blind: re-introducing Lyotard's Acinema into discourses on excess, motion and spectacle in contemporary Hollywood. New Review of Film and Television Studies , 11 (3). pp. 374-389. ISSN: 1740-7923 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/17400309.2013.803906
- Knox, S. (2013) Reflection iii: Transnationalisation, Television Formats and the Universal. Critical Studies in Television , 8 (2). pp. 104-106. ISSN: 1749-6020
- Knox, S. (2013) The transatlantic dimensions of the time lord: Doctor Who and the relationships between British and North American television. In: O'Day, A. (eds.) Doctor Who: the eleventh hour: a critical celebration of the Matt Smith and Steven Moffat era. I. B. Tauris , London. pp. 106-120. ISBN: 9781780760186
- Knox, S. (2012) Masterpiece Theatre and British drama imports on US television: discourses of tension. Critical Studies in Television , 7 (1). pp. 29-48. ISSN: 1749-6020 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.7227/CST.7.1.5
- Knox, S. and Adamou, C. (2011) Transforming television drama through dubbing and subtitling: sex and the cities. Critical Studies in Television , 6 (1). pp. 1-21. ISSN: 1749-6020
- Knox, S. and Adamou, C. (2010) Live and kicking: a meta-critical discourse on television and television studies. Science Fiction Film and Television , 3 (2). pp. 271-286. ISSN: 1754-3770 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.3828/sfftv.2010.18
- Knox, S. (2010) Reading 'The Truman Show' inside out. Film Criticism , XXXV (1). pp. 1-23. ISSN: 0163-5069
- Knox, S. (2008) "Muito boa qualidade, de facto": Shooting the Past e o caso das séries dramáticas de qualidade da televisão britânica na era da televisão de qualidade americana. ["Rather good quality, in fact": Shooting the Past and the case of British Quality Television Drama in the age of AQTV]. Discursos e Práticas de Qualidade Na Televisão. Livros Horizonte , Lisboa. pp. 271-286.
- Knox, S. (2007) Five's finest: the import of 'CSI' to British television. In: Allen, M. (eds.) Reading 'CSI': Crime TV Under the Microscope. I B Tauris , London. pp. 183-197.