Dr Simone Knox
- Alumni Relations Coordinator
- Module convenor for Exploring the Studio and Comedy on Stage and Screen
Areas of interest
My main research interests lie in the analysis
of television and film, especially aesthetics and medium specificity, acting
and performance, adaptation and translation (including dubbing and subtitling),
the politics of representation, and the lived experience of screen
My recent publications include the co-authored monograph Friends: A Reading of the Sitcom, a book chapter interrogating the notion of British acting, and a journal article on the representations of British Chinese identity in British television drama.
Postgraduate supervisionI would welcome enquiries from prospective postgraduate students on my research interests, as well as those with an interest in my key research methodologies, which include close textual analysis, practitioner interview and archive research.
I am currently supervising PhDs on illness in contemporary film and television, Peter Shaffer and the adaptation process from stage to screen, and creative agency and women of size in contemporary film and television, as well as second supervising contemporary Chinese independent film in relation to the market and the self, performative documentary, and the Arabic subtitling of children’s films.
Completed doctoral projects
- Approaches to Television
- Exploring the Studio
- Comedy on Stage and Screen
- Identity, Agency, Advocacy
- Dissertation (BA)
- Critical Studies in Television
- Knox, S. (2020) Bringing the battle to Britain: Band of Brothers and television runaway production in the UK. Journal of British Cinema and Television , 17 (3). pp. 313-333. ISSN: 1755-1714 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.3366/jbctv.2020.0531
- Knox, S. and Schwind, K. (2019) Friends: a reading of the sitcom. Palgrave Macmillan ISBN: 9783030254285 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-25429-2
- Knox, S. (2019) Representations of British Chinese identities and British television drama: mapping the field. Journal of British Cinema and Television , 16 (2). pp. 125-145. ISSN: 1755-1714 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.3366/jbctv.2019.0465
- Knox, S. (2019) The unwitting pioneer of transatlantic format adaptation: Beryl Vertue. Historical Journal of Film, Radio and Television , 39 (2). pp. 341-365. ISSN: 0143-9685 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/01439685.2018.1522790
- Cassidy, G. and Knox, S. (2019) An actor diversifies: a diachronic examination of the work and career of Tony Curran. In: Fife Donaldson, L. and Walters, J. , (eds.) Television Performance. Red Globe Press , London. pp. 168-187. ISBN: 9781137608192
- Knox, S. and Cassidy, G. (2019) Game of Thrones: investigating British acting. In: Hills, M. , Hilmes, M. , Pearson, R. , (eds.) Transatlantic Television Drama: Industries, Programs and Fans. Oxford University Press , Oxford. pp. 181-202. ISBN: 9780190663124
- Knox, S. and Weissmann, E. (2018) European cultures of production. Critical Studies in Television , 13 (2). pp. 133-136. ISSN: 1749-6020 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1177/1749602018763202
- Lacey, S. and Knox, S. (2018) Acting on television: analytical methods and approaches. Critical Studies in Television , 13 (3). pp. 257-261. ISSN: 1749-6020 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1177/1749602018782046
- Knox, S. and Lacey, S. , eds. (2018) Acting on television: analytical methods and approaches. Critical Studies in Television , 13. SAGE (3).
- Cassidy, G. and Knox, S. (2018) Phil Davis: the process of acting. Critical Studies in Television: The International Journal of Television Studies , 13 (3). pp. 315-332. ISSN: 1749-6020 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1177/1749602018785833
- Knox, S. and Weissmann, E. , eds. (2018) European cultures of production. Critical Studies in Television , 13. SAGE (2).
- Knox, S. (2018) Crossing broadcasters: the transatlantic exchange between Sylvester ‘Pat’ Weaver and Sir Ian Jacob, 1955-1956. Historical Journal of Film, Radio and Television , 38 (4). pp. 843-862. ISSN: 1465-3451 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/01439685.2017.1412920
- Knox, S. (2018) Shameless, the push-pull of transatlantic fiction format adaptation, and star casting. New Review of Film and Television Studies , 16 (3). pp. 295-323. ISSN: 1740-7923 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/17400309.2018.1487130
- Knox, S. (2018) Exploring the casting of British and Irish actors in contemporary US film and television. In: Cantrell, T. and Hogg, C. , (eds.) Exploring television acting. Bloomsbury , London. pp. 154-170. ISBN: 9781474248594
- Knox, S. and Derhy Kurtz, B. (2017) Texture, realism, performance: exploring the intersection of transtexts and the contemporary sitcom. In: Derhy Kurtz, B. and Bourdaa, M. , (eds.) The Rise of Transtexts: Challenges and Opportunities. Routledge Research in Cultural and Media Studies Routledge pp. 49-67. ISBN: 9781138944671
- Knox, S. (2013) The transatlantic dimensions of the time lord: Doctor Who and the relationships between British and North American television. In: O'Day, A. , (eds.) Doctor Who: the eleventh hour: a critical celebration of the Matt Smith and Steven Moffat era. I. B. Tauris , London. pp. 106-120. ISBN: 9781780760186
- Knox, S. (2013) Reflection iii: Transnationalisation, Television Formats and the Universal. Critical Studies in Television , 8 (2). pp. 104-106. ISSN: 1749-6020
- Knox, S. (2013) Eye candy for the blind: re-introducing Lyotard's Acinema into discourses on excess, motion and spectacle in contemporary Hollywood. New Review of Film and Television Studies , 11 (3). pp. 374-389. ISSN: 1740-7923 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/17400309.2013.803906
- Knox, S. (2012) Masterpiece Theatre and British drama imports on US television: discourses of tension. Critical Studies in Television , 7 (1). pp. 29-48. ISSN: 1749-6020 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.7227/CST.7.1.5
- Knox, S. and Adamou, C. (2011) Transforming television drama through dubbing and subtitling: sex and the cities. Critical Studies in Television , 6 (1). pp. 1-21. ISSN: 1749-6020
- Knox, S. and Adamou, C. (2010) Live and kicking: a meta-critical discourse on television and television studies. Science Fiction Film and Television , 3 (2). pp. 271-286. ISSN: 1754-3770 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.3828/sfftv.2010.18
- Knox, S. (2010) Reading 'The Truman Show' inside out. Film Criticism , XXXV (1). pp. 1-23. ISSN: 0163-5069
- Knox, S. (2008) "Muito boa qualidade, de facto": Shooting the Past e o caso das séries dramáticas de qualidade da televisão britânica na era da televisão de qualidade americana. ["Rather good quality, in fact": Shooting the Past and the case of British Quality Television Drama in the age of AQTV]. Discursos e Práticas de Qualidade Na Televisão. Livros Horizonte , Lisboa. pp. 271-286.
- Knox, S. (2007) Five's finest: the import of 'CSI' to British television. In: Allen, M. , (eds.) Reading 'CSI': Crime TV Under the Microscope. I B Tauris , London. pp. 183-197.
- Knox, S. (2006) Reading the ungraspable double-codedness of: the Simpsons. Journal of Popular Film and Television , 34 (2). pp. 73-81. ISSN: 1930-6458 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.3200/JPFT.34.2.73-81