Mr Doug Pye
Since my retirement I have remained closely involved with the department. Much of my recent research, including both publications and audio-visual essays, has been developed in collaboration with Professor John Gibbs. I convene The Sewing Circle, the Department’s longstanding informal staff and postgraduate seminar devoted to the detailed analysis of film and television.
Areas of interest
My main research interests are in the textual analysis of narrative cinema, particularly Hollywood, and include questions of narration and point of view, authorship and popular genres. My recent work includes the forthcoming V. F. Perkins on Movies and, in collaboration with John Gibbs, The Long Take: Critical Approaches and audio-visual essays on the work of Victor Sjostrom and Alfred Hitchcock.
- Series Editor (with John Gibbs) of Close-Up, Wallflower Press.
Editorial Board of the online journal Movie: A Journal of Film Criticism.
Joint editor of the series Palgrave Close Readings in Film and Television.
- Gibbs, J. and Pye, D. , eds. (2017) The long take: critical approaches. Palgrave Close Readings in Film and Television Palgrave Macmillan , London, UK. ISBN: 9781137585721
- Gibbs, J. and Pye, D. (2017) Opening choices: Notorious (audiovisual essay). Movie: a journal of film criticism (7). ISSN: 2047-1661
- Gibbs, J. and Pye, D. (2017) The Phantom Carriage: a revaluation (audiovisual essay). Movie: a journal of film criticism (7). ISSN: 2047-1661
- Pye, D. (2010) Enter Lisa: Rear Window (1954). In: Walters, J. and Brown, T. (eds.) Film Moments: Criticism, Theory, History. British Film Institute ISBN: 9781844573356
- Pye, D. (2010) At the border: the limits of knowledge in The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada and No Country for Old Men. Movie: a journal of film criticism , 1 ISSN: 2047-1661
- Gibbs, J. and Pye, D. (2010) Preminger and Peckinpah: seeing and shaping widescreen worlds. In: Belton, J. , Hall, S. , Neale, S. (eds.) Widescreen Worldwide. John Libbey , London. pp. 71-90. ISBN: 9780861966943
- Gibbs, J. and Pye, D. , eds. (2009) Close-up 03 : the police series ; Weimar cinema ; Men's cinema. Close-up , 3. Wallflower Press , London. pp 224. ISBN: 9781905674770
- Gibbs, J. and Pye, D. , eds. (2007) Close-Up 02: movies and tone / reading Rohmer / voices in film. Wallflower Press , London. pp 256. ISBN: 9781905674060
- Gibbs, J. and Pye, D. , eds. (2006) Close-Up 01: Filmmakers’ choices / The pop song in narrative film / reading Buffy. Wallflower Press , London. pp 256. ISBN: 9781904764571
- Gibbs, J. and Pye, D. , eds. (2005) Style and meaning: studies in the detailed analysis of film. Manchester University Press , Manchester. ISBN: 9780719065248
- Gibbs, J. and Pye, D. (2005) Revisiting Preminger: 'Bonjour Tristesse' (1958) and close reading. In: Gibbs, J. and Pye, D. (eds.) Style and Meaning: Studies in the Detailed Analysis of Film. Manchester University Press , Manchester. pp. 108-126. ISBN: 9780719065248
- Pye, D. (2004) Double vision: miscegenation and point of view in 'The Searchers'. In: Exkstein, A. and Lehman, P. (eds.) The Searchers: Essays and Reflections on John Ford's Classic Western. Contemporary Approaches to Film and Television Series Wayne State University Press , Detroit. pp. 223-239. ISBN: 9780814330562
- Pye, D. (2004) In and around 'The Paradine Case'. Rouge , 4
- Pye, D. (2004) Being a clown: curious coupling in 'The Pirate' . CineAction , 63 pp. 4-13.