Dr Tabarak Ballal
- School Director of Teaching and Learning
- Programme Director, MSc Construction Management and International Development
Areas of interest
Dr Tabarak Ballal worked as a site engineer for two years before joining the academic elite in 1995. Her research experience includes investigating methods of employing the notion of "Design for Manufacturability" in construction. This has resulted in the use of state-of-the-art artificial intelligence techniques for promoting the concept of "Design for Constructibility".
Her current research activities include design process improvement in international multidisciplinary organisations through the use of "Process Mapping and Process Modelling".
Tabarak's teaching focuses on construction technology and the integration of construction knowledge experience and design.
- PhD in Construction Management, Loughborough University, 2000
- MBA, University of Dundee, 1992
- BSc (Hons) Civil Engineering, University of Khartoum, Sudan, 1989
- Senior Fellow of Higher Education Academy, UK, 2018
- Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Building, UK, 2016
- Member of the Sudan Engineering Council, Sudan, 1991
- Member of the Sudan Engineering Society, Sudan, 1991.
Reviewer of the following publications:
- European Journal of Innovation Management (2017–present)
- Journal of Construction Business and Management (2016 –present)
- Journal of Construction in Developing Countries (2013–present)
- Journal of Information and Knowledge Management (2009–present)
- Journal of Engineering, Construction and Architectural Management (1998–present)
- Journal of Construction Management and Economics (1998–present).
- Elhag, T. , Eapen, S. , Ballal, T. (2020) Moderating claims and disputes through collaborative procurement. Construction Innovation: Information, Process, Management , 167 pp. 220-231. ISSN: 1471-4175 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/CI-02-2019-0020
- Liyanage, C. , Elhag, T. , Ballal, T. (2012) Establishing a connection between knowledge transfer and innovation diffusion. Journal of Knowledge Management Practice , 13 (1). ISSN: 1705-9232
- Kwawu, W. , Elhag, T. , Ballal, T. (2010) Knowledge transfer processes in PFI/PPP: critical success factors. pp. 839-848.
- Kwawu, W. , Elhag, T. , Ballal, T. (2010) Knowledge transfer processes in PFI: identification of barriers and enablers.
- Liyanage, C. , Ballal, T. , Elhag, T. (2009) Assessing the process of knowledge transfer – An empirical study. Journal of Information and Knowledge Management , 8 (3). pp. 251-265. ISSN: 0219-6492 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1142/S0219649209002373
- Liyanage, . , Ballal, . , Elhag, . (2009) Critical success factors that make knowledge transfer successful in PFI environments.
- Liyanage, . , Ballal, . , Elhag, . (2009) Effective knowledge transfer in construction – The need for a ‘knowledge mediator’.
- Omar, . , Abu Hassan, . , Ballal, . (2009) Exploring context-awareness in the construction logistics services delivery. Taylor and Francis
- Omar, B. and Ballal, T. (2009) Intelligent wireless web services: context-aware computing in construction-logistics supply chain. ITcon , 14 (Specia). pp. 289-308. ISSN: 1874-4753
- Liyanage, C. , Ballal, T. , Elhag, T. , Li, Q. (2009) Knowledge communication and translation- A knowledge transfer model. Journal of Knowledge Management , 13 (3). pp. 118-131. ISSN: 1367-3270 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/13673270910962914
- Liyanage, . , Elhag, . , Ballal, . , Li, . (2008) The process of knowledge transfer and its significance in integrated environment.
- Li, . , Ballal, . , Elhag, . , Liyanage, . (2007) Procurement for innovation: a theoretical proposition for enabling innovation diffusion in PFI projects. ISBN: 9781920701834
- Ballal, . and Elhag, . (2006) Knowledge management systems: their benefits and obstacles from an industry's perspective. ASCE & CIB pp. 83-91. ISBN: 970786913
- Elhag, . , Boussabaine, . , Ballal, . (2005) Criticial determinants of construction tendering costs: Quantity surveyors' standpoint. International Journal of Project Management , 23 (7). pp. 538-545. ISSN: 0263-7863 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijproman.2005.04.002
- Larsen, . and Ballal, . (2005) The diffusion of innovations within a UKCI context: An explanatory framework. Construction Management and Economics , 23 (1). pp. 81-91. ISSN: 0144-6193 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/0144619042000287750
- Ballal, T. and Sher, W. (2003) Artificial neural network for the selection of buildable structural systems. Engineering, Construction and Architectural Management , 10 (4). pp. 263-271. ISSN: 0969-9988 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/09699980310489979