Dr Eugene Mohareb
Areas of interest
My work at the University of Reading focuses on research and teaching related to urban sustainability through resource efficiency and global greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions mitigation.
My research is centred on the investigation of the important role of cities in both the developed and developing world in reducing GHG emissions.
This includes the use of urban metabolism to examine topics such as scenario modelling of local GHG emissions, urban contributions to reductions in food system GHG emissions, and the adoption of low-carbon technologies, especially domestic retrofits.
Ultimately, my research uses quantitative sustainability assessments to contribute to the evidence base used in setting policy goals for low-carbon economies.
Research areas include topics related to:
urban GHG mitigation
energy efficiency retrofit adoption in housing
urban metabolism, urban immune systems
low-carbon food systems
life cycle assessment and other quantitative sustainability analysis
Research centres and groups
After completing my bachelor's and master's degrees in biological engineering from the University of Guelph, I worked for four years as a consultant in the food industry.
I completed my doctoral thesis, entitled Quantifying the Transition to Low-Carbon Cities, in Civil/Environmental Engineering at the University of Toronto.
My postdoctoral work included assisting with capacity building for rural infrastructure improvement in partnership with UN-HABITAT and the Lao Clean Water Agency (Nam Sa'at), consulting as a policy analyst for the Pembina Institute (an energy think tank) and conducting research as a visiting scholar within the Centre for Sustainable Development at the University of Cambridge.
BSc Eng (Biological Engineering), University of Guelph
MSc Biological Engineering, University of Guelph
PhD Environmental Engineering, University of Toronto.
Treasurer & Research Coordinator, Sustainable Urban Systems Section, International Society for Industrial Ecology
External Examiner (Civil Engineering), British University in Eqypt
International Society for Industrial Ecology
American Chemical Society
Fellow, Higher Education Academy.
- Otero Peña, D. , Perrotti, D. , Mohareb, E. ORCID: 0000-0003-0344-2253 (2022) Advancing urban metabolism studies through GIS data: resource flows, open space networks, and vulnerable communities in Mexico City. Journal of Industrial Ecology ISSN: 1088-1980 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1111/jiec.13261
- Morris, J. , Smith, D. , Mohareb, E. ORCID: 0000-0003-0344-2253 , Perrotti, D. (2020) Measuring Reading’s resource consumption – an application of urban metabolism. In: Dixon, T. and Farrelly, L. , (eds.) Reading 2050: a smart and sustainable city?. University of Reading
- Butt, T. , Mohareb, E. , Hashemi, A. (2020) Reducing GHGs from UK households ‐ an examination of local authority‐level data.
- Bristow, D. and Mohareb, E. (2020) From the urban metabolism to the urban immune system. Journal of Industrial Ecology , 24 (2). pp. 300-312. ISSN: 1530-9290 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1111/jiec.12919
- Gillich, A. , Saber, E. , Mohareb, E. (2019) Limits and uncertainty for energy efficiency in the UK housing stock. Energy Policy , 133 ISSN: 0301-4215 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.enpol.2019.110889
- Gillich, A. and Mohareb, E. (2018) Turning national retrofit policies into local action: examples from the US BBNP and the Canadian eco-energy programs. pp. 220-224. (ISBN 9781550586206)
- Mohareb, E. and Gillich, A. (2018) Exploring the factors affecting home energy retrofit adoption - a case study of the EcoENERGY retrofit program.
- Mohareb, E. , Heller, M. , Guthrie, P. (2018) Cities’ role in mitigating United States food system greenhouse gas emissions. Environmental Science and Technology , 52 (10). pp. 5545-5554. ISSN: 1520-5851 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acs.est.7b02600
- Mohareb, E. , Heller, M. , Novak, P. , Goldstein, B. , Fonoll, X. , Raskin, L. (2017) Considerations for reducing food system energy demand while scaling up urban agriculture. Environmental Research Letters , 12 (12). ISSN: 1748-9326 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1088/1748-9326/aa889b
- Mohareb, E. , Hashemi, A. , Shahrestani, M. , Sunikka-Blank, M. (2017) Retrofit planning for the performance gap: results of a workshop on addressing energy, health and comfort needs in a protected building. Energies , 10 (8). ISSN: 1996-1073 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.3390/en10081177
- Mohareb, E. and Hoornweg, D. (2017) Low-carbon waste management. In: Dhakal, S. and Ruth, M. , (eds.) Creating Low Carbon Cities. Springer pp. 113-127. ISBN: 9783319497303 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-49730-3
- Hashemi, A. , Sunikka-Blank, M. , Mohareb, E. , Vahkitova, T. , Dantsiou, D. , Ben, H. , Shamin, T. (2016) Performance gap? Energy, health and comfort needs in buildings. ISBN: 9789671123690
- Daigger, G. , Newell, J. , Love, N. , McClintock, N. , Gardiner, M. , Mohareb, E. , Horst, M. , Blesh, J. , Ramaswami, A. (2016) Scaling up agriculture in city-regions to mitigate FEW system impacts.
- Mohareb, E. , Derrible, S. , Peiravian, F. (2016) Intersections of Jane Jacobs’ conditions for diversity and low-carbon urban systems: a look at four global cities. Journal of Urban Planning and Development , 142 (2). ISSN: 1943-5444 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)UP.1943-5444.0000287
- Mohareb, E. , Bristow, D. , Derrible, S. (2015) Climate change mitigation in high-income cities. In: Seto, K. , Solecki, W. , Griffith, C. , (eds.) The Routledge Handbook of Urbanization and Global Environmental Change. Routledge International Handbooks Routledge , London. pp. 377-405. ISBN: 9780415732260 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.4324/9781315849256
- Row, J. and Mohareb, E. (2014) Improving energy efficiency in Alberta’s buildings: best practices, key actors and the role of sustainable energy organizations. Pembina Institute , Calgary.
- Mohareb, E. and Kennedy, C. (2014) Scenarios of technology adoption towards low-carbon cities. Energy Policy , 66 pp. 685-693. ISSN: 0301-4215 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.enpol.2013.10.070
- Mohareb, E. and Mohareb, A. (2014) A comparison of greenhouse gas emissions in the residential sector of major Canadian cities. Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering , 41 (4). pp. 285-293. ISSN: 0315-1468 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1139/cjce-2013-0465
- Kennedy, C. , Demoullin, S. , Mohareb, E. (2012) Cities reducing their greenhouse gas emissions. Energy Policy , 49 pp. 774-777. ISSN: 0301-4215 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.enpol.2012.07.030
- Mohareb, E. and Kennedy, C. (2012) Greenhouse gas emission scenario modeling for cities using the PURGE model. Journal of Industrial Ecology , 16 (6). pp. 875-888. ISSN: 1088-1980 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1530-9290.2012.00563.x
- Mohareb, E. and Kennedy, C. (2012) Gross direct and embodied carbon sinks for urban inventories. Journal of Industrial Ecology , 16 (3). pp. 302-316. ISSN: 1088-1980 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1530-9290.2011.00445.x
- Mohareb, E. , Kennedy, C. , Harvey, L. , Pressnail, K. (2011) Decoupling of building energy use and climate. Energy and Buildings , 43 (10). pp. 2961-2963. ISSN: 0378-7788 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.enbuild.2011.06.032
- Mohareb, E. , MacLean, H. , Kennedy, C. (2011) Greenhouse gas emissions from waste management—assessment of quantification methods. Journal of the Air & Waste Management Association , 61 (5). pp. 480-493. ISSN: 1096-2247 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.3155/1047-32220.127.116.110
- Kennedy, C. , Bristow, D. , Derrible, S. , Mohareb, E. , Saneinejad, S. , Stupka, R. , Sugar, L. , Zizzo, R. , McIntyre, B. (2010) Getting to carbon neutral: a review of best practices in infrastructure strategy. In: Bose, R. , (eds.) Energy Efficient Cities: Assessment Tools and Benchmarking Practices. The International Bank for Reconstruction and Development , Washington. pp. 165-184. ISBN: 9780821383094 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1596/978-0-8213-8104-5
- Mohareb, E. and Mittal, G. (2007) Formulation and process conditions for biodegradable/edible soy-based packaging trays. Packaging Technology and Science , 20 (1). pp. 1-15. ISSN: 8943214 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1002/pts.736
- Piyasena, P. , Mohareb, E. , McKellar, R. (2003) Inactivation of microbes using ultrasound: a review. International Journal of Food Microbiology , 87 (3). pp. 207-216. ISSN: 1681605 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0168-1605(03)00075-8