- The University of Reading is ranked 6th in the UK for ‘Building’ in The Times & Sunday Times Good University Guide 2022 and 5th in the Complete University Guide 2022.
- In the latest Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014, 83% of the University of Reading's research in Architecture, Built Environment and Planning is rated world leading (4*) or internationally excellent (3*).
- Our talented and internationally diverse team in the School of the Built Environment are actively involved in research, contributing directly to your supervision.
- You will be part of a supportive and collaborative international community of students, staff, and alumni. You will have regular opportunities to engage with cutting-edge research.
- Our research activities within the School are grouped into three areas: Organisations, people and technology; Energy and environmental engineering; Urban living. These groups bring colleagues across the School together to participate in a number of activities, which are open to PhD students.
The international student experience
We’ll help you to thrive in our lively academic environment developed from cross-cultural collaboration and both our students and staff communities are made up of people from across the world. At Reading, we have students from around 180 countries studying with us.
Our team of advisers are available to offer support on issues such as money matters, visa queries, accommodation and even help with defining words which might be unfamiliar to you. You can also benefit from the Reading University International Mentoring Scheme, matching you with a current student mentor at the University.
Our School of the Built Environment is located across the University’s two campuses in Reading, and is made up of the School of Architecture and School of Construction Management and Engineering.
The School of Architecture is based on the historic London Road campus, in an iconic redesigned and refitted building.
The School of Construction Management and Engineering is based in the Chancellor's Building, on the award-winning Whiteknights campus, an £8.4m purpose-built facility that opened in 2017.
Our beautiful campuses provide a vibrant community with a wide range of facilities to help you study, have fun and relax. We have a newly refurbished library on campus in addition to a variety of venues to shop, eat, drink and socialise.
Our award-winning Students' Union runs over 150 clubs, societies and volunteering activities. You’ll also have access to the extensive sports facilities on offer, including Sportspark.