Ms Tina O'Connell
- Fine Art Associate Professor in Sculpture and Media
- Studio Tutor
- Admissions Officer
- PhD Advisory Group Member.
Areas of interest
I work primarily on sculpture as is reflective in my own professional practice. I pursue my own career externally to the University, as well as over-lapping my interests in areas of material-based research in the context of contemporary sculpture. I am interested in how the museum provides a context for the collection of sculpture, and ways in which monumental and permanent form can be challenged. I work extensively with grants from bodies such as the Irish Arts Council and have been involved in a range of international exhibitions, including: PS1 New York, Jerwood Platform and for off-site projects in Dublin with Project Arts Centre.
Learn more on Tina's website .
I have recently undertaken a new role in the Fine Art PhD Advisory Group for Graduate Supervision, and would therefore welcome and support practice-based applicants whose research is in the field of sculpture, material studies and fine art. I have received teaching awards, and can advise on pedagogic approaches to fine art education based on a long track record.
- Sculpture (all BA and MA Fine Art)
- Time-based media
- Professional practice in Fine Art (CMS)
- Production in sculpture.
- 1999 Irish Museum of Modern Art, Dublin, Ireland. 3 months
- 1998 18th St Arts Complex, Santa Monica, LA, USA. 2 months
- 1996 La Friche Belle De Mai, Marseilles, France. 2 months
- 1989/90 Henry Moore Fellowship, Winchester School of Art, England.
Awards and honours
- 2011 Washington DC Arts and Humanities Commission for 5x5 Public Art
- 2010 Werk 2010,Commission Bildhaursymposion Heidenheim, Germany
- 2009 Commission – Pearce Street centre Dublin 2007 Irish Arts Council Award (Major)
- 2006 Commission – Letterkenny Institute of Technology
- 2005 Lorne Award, Slade School of Art
- 2003 Irish Arts Council Award (Major)
- 2002 Commission – College des Irelandais, Paris, France
- 1999 Commission – The Peoples Park, Waterford
- 1999 Irish Museum of Modern Art. Residency programme
- 1995 Irish Arts Council Award (Major)
- 1995 British Arts Council Award
- 1994 Irish Arts Council Travel Award, (USA)
- 1993 Irish Arts Council Award
- 1992 Irish Arts Council Award (Major)
- 1990 Henry Moore Fellowship
- 1989 Ministry of Culture, France (Major).
- 2004 'Tina O'Connell at Artist?s Platform ? Jerwood Gallery, London*
- 2004 'Tina O'Connell ' Limerick City Art Gallery, Ireland
- 2002 'In-visible, 2, 3 and 4', College des Irelandais, Paris, France
- 1999 'In Dublin', The Barley Mow, Dublin, Ireland
- 1997 'Do Touch, Do Not Touch', Spacex Gallery, Exeter, England
- 1996 'In-visible,1,' Friche, Belle De Mai, Marseille, France
- 1995 'Untitled', Kunstbunka, Munich, Germany
- 1995 'Absolutly no Stiletoes', Project Arts Centre, Dublin, Ireland
- 1992 'Tina O'Connell', Belltable Gallery, Limerick, Ireland
- 1992 'Jelly', Templebar Gallery, Dublin, Ireland
- 1991 'Tina O'Connell', Winchester Gallery, Winchester, England*.
- 2011 1x1 DCAAH – Washington DC Arts and Humanities Commission for 5x5 Public Transformer Gallery, Washington
- 2010 Werk 2010,Heidenheim Museum, Germany
- "Super Farmers Market" Handel Street Projects, London
- "Curators Choice" – Cubitt Gallery, London
- 2009 The Wager – Office of Experiments. London
- 2006 'Failure' – Kilkenny Castle, Kilkenny, Ireland*
- 2006 'Sculpture at Kells', Kells, Co Kilkenny, Ireland*
- 2002 'Mappin Open,2002?,Mappin Art Gallery, Sheffield, England*
- 2001 'Inaugural Show', Proof Gallery, Bermondsey, London
- 2000 'A Different Kind of Show', Whitechapel Gallery, London
- 2000 'Two Cubes', Locws International, Swansea, Wales*
- 2000 'Multiples x 4', Temple Bar Gallery, Dublin, Ireland
- 1999 '00 44' P.S.1. New York, US*
- 1999 '00 44' Albright Knox Art Gallery, Buffalo, US
- 1999 '00 44' Ormeau Baths Gallery, Belfast, Northern Ireland
- 1999 '00 44' Cork Municipal Gallery, Cork, Ireland
- 1999 '17 + 1'Limerick Municipal Gallery, Limerick, Ireland
- 1999 '17 + 1' Temple Bar Gallery, Dublin, Ireland
- 1998 'Hidden Art' East London Show, London, England
- 1997 'Gaget' Gallerie De Marseille, Marseille, France
- 1996 National Collection of Contemporary Drawing, Limerick City, Gallery Limerick, Ireland*
- 1995 'E.V.A.', 95, Curator, Maria Corral, Limerick City Gallery, Limerick, Ireland*
- 1994 'Material Evidence', Cubitt St., London, England
- 1994 'Material Evidence', Norwich Gallery, England
- 1994 'Adshel', Gower Street bus shelter, London, England
- 1993 'Inside Out', Winchester Gallery, Winchester, England
- 1993 'Over the limit',Arnolfini Gallery, Bristol, England*
- 1992 'Whitechapel Open',Whitechapel Art Gallery, London, England*
- 1991 'Victor Tracy Awards',Butler Gallery, Killkenny, Ireland.
(* indicates that a catalogue accompanied this exhibition).
- O'Connell, T. (2016) The Shift, eight years of flat time house .
- O'Connell, T. (2016) Public discussion, art practice between 3 generations. Bealtaine Festival Ireland , Wexford Arts Cantre.
- O'Connell, T. and White , N. (2016) Deep freeze (commissioned art work, with Neal White).
- O'Connell, T. (2016) Valerie Connor, Tina O’Connell and Neal White in conversation. Objectif Exhibitions, Kleine Markt 7–9/26 2000 Antwerp. Saturday 6 February 2016, 5pm. Objectif Exhibitions , Antwerp, Belgium.
- O'Connell, T. and White, N. (2016) An incidental meeting with Tina O'Connell and Neal White, a discussion with Barbara Steveni.
- O'Connell, T. and White, N. (2016) 9 Events.
- O'Connell, T. and White, N. (2012) Public Art Commission, 1x1 project, Tina O'Connell and Neal White.
- O'Connell, T. , White, N. , Vermuri, V. (2010) Public Art Commission, Where is Heidenheim? Tina O'Connell and Neal White.