Ms Christine Ellison
- Director of Taught Postgraduate Programmes, School of Arts and Communication Design
- Programme Director, MA Fine Art
- Art Pathway leader, MA Creative Enterprise
Areas of interest
POST-DIGITAL / LIVENESS / NOISE / FLUXUS EVENT SCORES / BAUHAUS TEXTILES.
My research positions performance as a tool for enquiry into post-digital culture, with an emphasis on the score, liveness, DiY electronics, technology and its limitations. I am particularly interested in noise as an agitational aesthetic and the body as a site of knowledge. My work encompasses performance, video, sound, costume, textiles, print and stop-motion animation. Under the monikers POLLYFIBRE and Agency of Noise, I have exhibited extensively across the UK, Ireland and internationally, in galleries, museums, theatres, and performance spaces, including:
- Museum Strauhof, Zürich (2021),
- Museo Reina Sofía, Madrid (2020),
- Five Years Gallery, London (2019),
- Reading Fringe (2019),
- Iklectik, London (2018),
- Art Lacuna, London (2016),
- Cell Project Space, London (2013),
- Embassy Gallery, Edinburgh (2013),
- Museum of Art, Haifa, Israel (2012),
- Grand Union, Birmingham (2012),
- Eastside Projects, Birmingham (2010),
- Kaunas Art Bienniel, Lithuania (2007/8).
My work has also been commissioned for international performance festivals:
- RAPID PULSE International Performance Festival, Chicago, Dublin Fringe Festival, DEAF Electronic Arts Festival, Dublin.
Curated events as Agency of Noise include:
- Micro Soft Words for Dummies and Enlightened Beings, South Street Arts Centre, Reading (2018),
- Squirmish at the Oasis, Kingsgate Trust, London, in association with Camden Arts Centre, (2013),
- The Prophetic Sound, Cavendish Ballroom, London, (2013).
As an educator, I am committed to engaging students through research-led teaching. This includes leading workshops in sound and performance as well as inviting students to collaborate and perform in public-facing events. In 2018, I developed a body of work through performance workshops with students and recent graduates from Reading School of Art in collaboration with artist and musician Graham Dunning and new media performance designer Erato Tzavara. The outcomes were performed live at South Street Arts Centre, Reading and Iklectik performance space, London.
My work can be viewed on on the Agency of Noise website and pollyfibre.com.
- Ellison, C., Agency of Noise: Activate, Disseminate, Reactivate, 2013 – ongoing. Web platform for performance-based research and discourse: www.agencyofnoise.org
- Ellison, C., Let’s Interface the Music and Dance, 2020, (Film). Funded by the Elephant Trust. Included in On Waiting ... (for the host to join), (Exhibition), Museum Strauhof, Zürich. Curated by Irene Müller. December 3, 2021 to January 9, 2022. https://agencyofnoise.org/category/workshop/
- Ellison, C., Let’s Interface the Music and Dance, 2018-2021, (series of movement scores). Included in On Waiting ... (for the host to join), (Exhibition), Museum Strauhof, Zürich. Curated by Irene Müller. December 3, 2021 to January 9, 2022. https://agencyofnoise.org/category/score/
- Ellison, C., Restart, 2020, (Sound work). Published for Audiosphere: Sound Experimentation 1980-2020, Museo Reina Sofía, Madrid, Curated by Francisco López, October 2020 -February 2021. https://agencyofnoise.org/2020/12/10/restart-audiosphere/
- Ellison, C., Five Movements, 2019, (scores). Exhibited at Archway Sound Symposium, Five Years Gallery, London, July 2019. https://agencyofnoise.org/2019/06/14/five-movements/
- Ellison, C., Drop Down, 2019, (score). Published as part of Small Projects for Coming Communities, Zürich, May 2019. https://www.comingcommunities.org/en/scores/scores-navigation/drop-down/
- Ellison, C., Let’s Interface the Music and Dance, (Participatory Workshop for all ages). Reading Fringe Festival, Reading, July 2019. https://agencyofnoise.org/2021/01/24/lets-interface-the-music-and-dance-performance-workshop/
- Ellison, C., Micro Soft Words for Dummies and Enlightened Beings, 2018. (Series of scores for sound works). Performed at South Street Theatre, Reading, July 2018, and Iklectik, London, September, 2018. Supported by The Reading Arts Committee and Reading International. https://vimeo.com/312480173
- Ellison, C., WORKSHOP: Making Beyond the Post-Medium Condition. Article published in Visual Culture in Britain, Taylor & Francis (Routledge). 2017. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/14714787.2017.1353438
- Ellison, C., WORKSHOP: Making Beyond the Post-Medium Condition, 2016, (Film). Exhibited at Art Lacuna, London. July 2016.
- Ellison, C., POLLYFIBRE: Girlband from a Post-Digital Dimension, 2005-2015. Performance project involving material investigation of post-digital digital concepts through scores and electronic performances. www.pollyfibre.com
- Ellison, C., Bitstreams: overture for a post-digital opera, 2014, (Sound work). Published as part of Exploit.zzxjoanw.Gen audio zine, Curated by Dane Sutherland for Collective Gallery, Edinburgh. Punctum Records, 2014. https://soundcloud.com/agencyofnoise/bitstreams-overture-for-a-post-digital-opera. Review in Wire magazine August 2014: http://www.plastiquefantastique.org/reviews/PF-Wire-sonic-fiction.pdf
- 2004 –2006 Goldsmiths College of Art, University of London (Masters in Textiles)
- 1994 –1998 Dun Laoghaire College of Art and Design, Dublin (Bachelor of Design in Interactive Media).
- Ellison, C. (2018) Micro soft words (for dummies and enlightened beings). Reading International [Performance]
- Ellison, C. (2017) Let's interface the music and dance. University of Reading (Collection)
- Ellison, C. (2017) Workshop: making beyond the post-medium condition. Visual Culture in Britain , 18 (2). pp. 133-162. ISSN: 1941-8361 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/14714787.2017.1353438
- Kollectiv, G. and Kollectiv, P. (2012) File Transfer Protocol.
- Ellison, C. (2012) Prêt-à-Médiatiser by House of POLLYFIBRE. Rapid Pulse [Video]
- Ellison, C. (2012) Slideshow by POLLYFIBRE. Cell Project Space [Performance]
- Ellison, C. (2012) Instructions for an Audio Performance/Scissors Music. Museum of Haifa , Israel.
- Ellison, C. (2009) Reconstructing The Incredible. RELAY
- Becklin, E. , Ellison, C. , Humphrey, M. , O’Daniel, A. , Sears, K. , Sussman, T. , Trondson, A. (2009) Conceptual telegraphy and the song of the wind through its wires.
- Beasely, M. , Rowlands, A. , Russell, J. (2009) Barefoot in the head.