Dr Sophie Payne
- IWLP German Language Lead
- IWLP Marketing Lead
- IWLP Student Engagement Lead
- Course tutor for LA1PG1 and LA1PG2
Building locationMiller building
Areas of interest
German language and culture, linguistics and feminism.
I have taught German language with the IWLP since 2018 and teach mainly on the lower levels (A1-A2).
In the past I taught on DLC degree-side modules on the West German post-war history, the history of German post-war migration, German lexicology and German textual linguistics. I have also previously taught on the module Discourse Analysis for the Applied Linguistics Department.
I was born in Reading and grew up nearby. After a gap year teaching English, I returned to Reading to study BA German and Italian, followed by an M(Res) and a PhD in German Studies.
- Mackenzie, J. , Coffey-Glover, L. , Payne, S. ORCID: 0000-0003-3341-4245 , McGlashan, M. (2020) Disco divas and heroic knights: a critical multimodal analysis of gender roles in “create the world” LEGO cards. In: Caldas-Coulthard, C. , (eds.) Innovations and Challenges: Women, Language and Sexism. Routledge pp. 60-76. ISBN: 9780367133726
- Payne, S. (2013) Compliment responses of female German and Italian university students: a contrastive study. Language Studies Working Papers , 5 pp. 22-31. ISSN: 2040-3461