Dr Marjorie Gehrhardt
Departmental Director of Academic Tutoring
Building locationMiller building
Areas of interest
I am a cultural historian specialising in 20th-century France. My main research interests are in the history of the First World War, visual culture studies and the history of the voluntary sector in Europe.
After I completed my PhD on the destinies and representations of WWI facially disfigured soldiers, I worked on the EU INTERREG-funded project 1914FACES2014 (2013-2015), which looked at the legacies of First World War facially disfigured soldiers and plastic surgery. The study of visible facial differences, their representations and impact on the person and the onlooker, remains a central aspect in my research.
Postgraduate supervisionI welcome enquiries concerning research supervision in any of my areas of research interest.
At Part 1, I convene the module ‘The Making of Modern France’. I also teach French oral classes.
At Part 2, I convene the module 'The First World War: Then and Now'.
At Part 3, I convene the module ‘Philanthropy à la française’. I also teach translation into French.
- MRes in English Culture and History (University of Strasbourg, France)
- MA in European Languages and Cultures (University of Exeter, UK)
- PhD in French Studies (University of Exeter, UK)
- Gehrhardt, M. (2023) Surviving the Second World War: resilience strategies within the French facially disfigured veterans’ association. Modern and Contemporary France ISSN: 1469-9869 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/09639489.2023.2195157
- Gehrhardt, M. (2018) Mobilising the Red Cross Journal: a charity’s periodical in wartime. ANGLICA: An International journal of English Studies , 27 (3). pp. 13-32. ISSN: 0860-5734
- Gehrhardt, M. (2018) Losing face, finding love?: The fate of facially disfigured soldiers in narratives of the First World War. Litteraria Copernicana , 3 (27). pp. 75-89. ISSN: 1899-315X | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.12775/LC.2018.032
- Gehrhardt, M. (2018) La greffe générale: the voice of French facially injured soldiers. Modern and Contemporary France , 26 (4). pp. 353-368. ISSN: 1469-9869 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/09639489.2018.1458295
- Gehrhardt, M. and Steele, S. (2017) Frederick Coates: First World War 'facial architect'. Journal of War and Culture Studies , 10 (1). pp. 7-24. ISSN: 1752-6280 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/17526272.2016.1238564
- Gehrhardt, M. (2016) "Sourire quand même": la reconstruction des Gueules Cassées de la Grande Guerre en France et en Grande-Bretagne. RANAM (49). ISSN: 0557-6989
- Gehrhardt, M. (2015) The men with broken faces: 'Gueules Cassées' of the First World War. Cultural History and Literary Imagination , 25. Peter Lang Ltd , Oxford, Bern, Frankfurt am Main. pp 304. ISBN: 9783034318693
- Jones, D. and Gehrhardt, M. , eds. (2015) Paddy Hartley: of faces and facades. Black Dog Publishing , London. ISBN: 9781910433317
- Gehrhardt, M. (2013) Walking reminders of the war: the case of facially disfigured veterans. In: Niznik, J. , (eds.) Twentieth Century Wars in European Memory. Studies in Social Sciences, Philosophy and History of Ideas Peter Lang (1). , Frankfurt. pp. 103-115. ISBN: 9783631627853
- Gehrhardt, M. (2013) Gueules cassées and the ambiguity of violence. In: Zitzlsperger, U. , (eds.) Gender, Agency and Violence: European Perspectives from Early Modern Times to the Present Day. Cambridge Scholars Publishing , Cambridge. pp. 151-162. ISBN: 9781443850377
- Gehrhardt, M. (2013) Gueules cassées: the men behind the masks. Journal of War and Culture Studies , 6 (4). pp. 267-281. ISSN: 1752-6272 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1179/1752628013Y.0000000004