Fire Safety and Use of Extinguishers
The course aims to introduce nominated staff with fire safety responsibilities and other staff and students who should receive information and training in fire safety including the use of fire extinguishers.
AIMS & OBJECTIVES:
- Understand your responsibilities under current fire safety legislation
Understand how to extinguish a fire safely (P.A.S.S.)
- Understand when it is safe to use a fire extinguisher
- Recognise the limitations of fire extinguishers
- Be aware of fire prevention techniques and good practice
ON RETURNING TO THE WORKPLACE YOU WILL:
- Understand the causes of fire
- Be aware of how fire can develop and spread
- Be more fire safety conscious in the workplace
- Understand the need for good housekeeping and following fire safety procedures
- Be aware of the various types of fire extinguisher and what fires they are used for
- Feel confident to be able to tackle a small fire should this occur in the workplace
WHO SHOULD ATTEND:
All members of staff who have been identified through risk assessment as requiring training in the use of fire extinguishers, eg security, maintenance, kitchen/catering staff and those staff/students working in Laboratories.
In addition, staff who act as Fire Warden / Evacuation Officer for their building should attend the Fire Wardens and Evacuation Officers course.
You should make yourself familiar with the fire procedures for your building.
You are advised to wear warm/practical/waterproof clothing and footwear for the training.
COURSE DATES & TIMES
MAXIMUM NUMBER OF PARTICIPANTS: 20
COURSE TUTOR: David Sharp/Kevin McGovern