University of Reading cookie policy

We use cookies on to improve your experience, monitor site performance and tailor content to you.

Read our cookie policy to find out how to manage your cookie settings.

First Aid

Any member of staff or student who might encounter a student, staff member or member of the public who is physically unwell or has suffered an injury, either in a building or outside on our campus should do the following:

For serious injury:

Dial 999 (from an internal phone, add prefix 0 or 9 to obtain an external line) to arrange an ambulance, then call security on extension 6300 (0118 378 6300) to inform them.  Be prepared to give details of the nature of the accident/injury, the condition of the casualty and your exact location (including building name, floor, room number etc.  Be prepared to send other helpers to direct security/ambulance personnel to the location.

For less serious injuries:

Contact a first aider.  Every building on campus has designated first aiders during core business hours, so there is no need to direct anyone elsewhere on campus.

Contacting a first aider

Contact details of local first aiders, as well as locations of the nearest defibrillator and first aid kit, are listed on notices near building entrances.  Alternatively, call Security on extension 6300 (0118 378 6300) and ask for a first aider.  Stay with the casualty and give reassurance until assistance arrives.

You are advised to call NHS 111 if:

  • You are unsure and would like medical help, but it is not an emergency
  • You think you or someone else needs to go to A&E or another NHS urgent care service
  • You don't know who to call for medical help or you don't have a GP to call
  • You require health information or reassurance about what to do next

Additional Information:

CoP 08 First Aid

Defibrillator Map