Dr Mehdi Shahrestani
- Director of Architectural Engineering Programme(BEng/MEng)
- Chair of Health & Safety Committee for the School of the Built Environment
- Module Convenor: Energy in Buildings (CEM 221), Construction Science (CE1CCS), Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning Design (CE3HVA), Building Services 2: Fundamentals (CE2BSF)
Areas of interest
My research is within the area of energy systems, renewable energy technologies and building mechanical services.
The focus of my research is on modelling of energy and environmental systems, developing new numerical models for performance evaluation and control of energy and environmental systems. In addition, developing knowledge-based and formal decision-making process, benchmarking and investigation of the influence of climate changes on engineering design decisions.
Research centres and groups
Innovative and Sustainable Technologies
My career in engineering began after my BSc degree in Mechanical Engineering. I then joined a consultants' engineering and construction company where I was heavily involved in management, design, construction and commissioning of building mechanical services for industrial and non-industrial projects.
In parallel, I started studying towards an MSc and received my degree in Energy Systems Engineering. Having nine years of industrial experience in energy generation, distribution and use especially in building mechanical services, I started my PhD research in the School of Construction Management and Engineering, University of Reading.
During my PhD research, I developed a fuzzy multiple attribute decision making model for heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration (HVAC&R) systems selection, considering climate changes and future weather projects.
In addition, I have developed a benchmark for office buildings in England and Wales. Developing a pressure governing simulation approach for hydronic systems was another contribution of my PhD research. After my PhD, I joined the Research Cooperation in Renewable Energy Technologies for Electricity Generation (REELCOOP) project as a Research Fellow to study the performance of the double skin PV façade system.
In 2015, I took up a lectureship in Sustainable Technologies at the University of Reading.
- PhD in Energy and Environmental Systems Selection, University of Reading
- MSc in Energy Systems Engineering, K.N.Toosi University of Technology
- BSc in Mechanical Engineering, University of Guilan.
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
- Member of International Building Performance Simulation Associate (IBPSA) - England
- Member of American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-conditioning Engineers (MASHRAE)
- Associate Member of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers (AMIMechE)
- Graduate Member of Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers (CIBSE)
- Research Associate of the Walker Institute for Climate System Research
Member of editorial board for Intelligent Buildings International
Member of editorial board for the Journal of Architectural Environment & Structural Engineering
Corresponding Member of ASHRAE technical committee 6.1: Hydronic and steam equipment and systems
Reviewer of the following journals: International Journal of Refrigeration; Building and Environment; Energy and Buildings; Journal of Cleaner Production; Renewable Energy; Energy for Sustainable Development; The Egyptian Journal of Remote Sensing and Space Sciences; Urban Forestry & Urban Greening; Journal of Taibah University for Science; Urban Climate; Sustainable Cities and Society; Engineering Science and Technology, an International Journal; Sustainable Production and Consumption; Journal of Building Engineering and the Journal of Low-Carbon Technologies.
- Haji Ismail, F. , Shahrestani, M. , Vahdati, M. , Boyd, P. , Donyavi, S. (2021) Climate change and the energy performance of buildings in the future – a case study for prefabricated buildings in the UK. Journal of Building Engineering , 39 ISSN: 2352-7102 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jobe.2021.102285
- Garraín, D. , Herrera, I. , Rodríguez-Serrano, I. , Lechón, Y. , Hepbasli, A. , Araz, M. , Biyik, E. , Yao, R. , Shahrestani, M. , Essah, E. , Shao, L. , Rico, E. , Lechón, J. , Oliveira, A. (2020) Sustainability indicators of a naturally ventilated photovoltaic façade system. Journal of Cleaner Production , 266 ISSN: 0959-6526 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2020.121946
- Liu, X. , Chen, X. , Shahrestani, M. (2020) Optimization of insulation thickness of external walls of residential buildings in hot summer and cold winter zone of China. Sustainability , 12 (4). ISSN: 2071-1050 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/su12041574
- Li, B. , Zheng, M. , Shahrestani, M. , Zhang, S. (2020) Driving factors of the thermal efficiency of ground source heat pump systems with vertical boreholes in Chongqing by experiments. Journal of Building Engineering , 28 ISSN: 2352-7102 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jobe.2019.101049
- Prakobboon, N. , Vahdati, M. , Shahrestani, M. (2019) Social practices required for the recovery of cassava waste for heat generation in Thailand. International Journal of Biomass & Renewables , 8 (1). pp. 12-24. ISSN: 2289-1692
- Khan, M. , Shahrestani, M. , Hayat, T. , Shakoor, A. , Vahdati, M. (2019) Life cycle (well-to-wheel) energy and environmental assessment of natural gas as transportation fuel in Pakistan. Applied Energy , 242 pp. 1738-1752. ISSN: 0306-2619 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2019.03.196
- Jobli, M. , Yao, R. , Luo, Z. , Shahrestani, M. , Li, N. , Liu, H. (2019) Numerical and experimental studies of a capillary-tube embedded PCM component for improving indoor thermal environment. Applied Thermal Engineering , 148 pp. 466-477. ISSN: 1359-4311 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2018.10.041
- Li, B. , Cheng, Z. , Yao, R. , Wang, H. , Yu, W. , Bu, Z. , Xiong, J. , Zhang, T. , Essah, E. , Luo, Z. , Shahrestani, M. , Kipen, H. (2019) An investigation of formaldehyde concentration in residences and the development of a model for the prediction of its emission rates. Building and Environment , 147 pp. 540-550. ISSN: 0360-1323 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.buildenv.2018.10.045
- Moss, J. , Doick, K. , Smith, S. , Shahrestani, M. (2019) Influence of evaporative cooling by urban forests on cooling demand in cities. Urban Forestry and Urban Greening , 37 pp. 65-73. ISSN: 1618-8667 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ufug.2018.07.023
- Hepbasli, A. , Araz, M. , Biyik, E. , Yao, R. , Shahrestani, M. , Essah, E. ORCID: 0000-0002-1349-5167 , Shao, L. , Oliveira, A. , del Caño, T. , Rico, E. , Lechón, J. (2018) Thermoeconomic analysis and evaluation of a Building-Integrated Photovoltaic (BIPV) system based on actual operational data. In: Nižetić, S. and Papadopoulos, A. , (eds.) The Role of Exergy in Energy and the Environment. Springer Link , Green Energy and Technology book series. pp. 877-886. ISBN: 9783319898445 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-89845-2_63
- Prakobboon, N. , Vahdati, M. , Shahrestani, M. (2018) An environmental impact assessment of the management of cassava waste: a case study in Thailand. International Journal of Biomass & Renewables , 7 (2). pp. 18-29. ISSN: 2289-1692
- Costanzo, V. , Yao, R. , Essah, E. , Shao, L. , Shahrestani, M. , Oliveira, A. , Araz, M. , Hepbasli, A. , Biyik, E. (2018) A method of strategic evaluation of energy performance of Building Integrated Photovoltaic in the urban context. Journal of Cleaner Production , 184 pp. 82-91. ISSN: 0959-6526 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2018.02.139
- Shahrestani, M. , Yao, R. , Cook, G. (2018) A fuzzy multiple attribute decision making tool for HVAC&R systems selection with considering the future probabilistic climate changes and electricity decarbonisation plans in the UK. Energy and Buildings , 159 pp. 398-418. ISSN: 0378-7788 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.enbuild.2017.10.089
- Shahrestani, M. , Yao, R. , Cook, G. , Clements-Croome, D. (2018) Decision-making on HVAC&R systems selection: a critical review. Intelligent Buildings International Journal , 10 (3). pp. 133-153. ISSN: 1750-8975 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/17508975.2017.1333948
- Yuan, X. , Shahrestani, M. , Fernbank, D. , Burton, J. , Liu, J. , Yang, Y. (2017) Performance characteristics of ground source heat pump and combined heat and power systems under electricity decarbonisation plans.
- Zhao, K. , Shahrestani, M. , Zhao, L. (2017) Assessment of thermal comfort and indoor air quality in newly built offices.
- Araz, M. , Hepbasli, A. , Biyik, E. , Shahrestani, M. , Yao, R. , Essah, E. , Shao, L. , Oliveira, A. , Ekren, O. , Günerhan, H. (2017) Performance evaluation of a building integrated photovoltaic (BIPV) system combined with a wastewater source heat pump (WWSHP) system. Energy Procedia , 140 pp. 434-446. ISSN: 1876-6102 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.egypro.2017.11.155
- Mohareb, E. , Hashemi, A. , Shahrestani, M. , Sunikka-Blank, M. (2017) Retrofit planning for the performance gap: results of a workshop on addressing energy, health and comfort needs in a protected building. Energies , 10 (8). ISSN: 1996-1073 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/en10081177
- Biyik, E. , Araz, M. , Hepbasli, A. , Shahrestani, M. , Yao, R. , Shao, L. , Essah, E. , Oliveira, A. , del Caño, T. , Rico, E. , Lechón, J. , Andrade, L. , Mendes, A. , Atlı, Y. (2017) A key review of building integrated photovoltaic (BIPV) systems. Engineering Science and Technology, an International Journal , 20 (3). pp. 833-858. ISSN: 2215-0986 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jestch.2017.01.009
- Shahrestani, M. , Yao, R. , Essah, E. , Shao, L. , Oliveira, A. , Hepbasli, A. , Biyik, E. , Caño, T. , Rico, E. , Lechón, J. (2017) Experimental and numerical studies to assess the energy performance of naturally ventilated PV façade systems. Solar Energy , 147 pp. 37-51. ISSN: 0038-092X | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.solener.2017.02.034
- Yao, R. , Han, S. , Li, X. , Shahrestani, M. , Li, B. (2016) Evaluation of building retrofit strategies in different climate zones. ASHRAE Conference Transactions 2016 , 122 pp. 289-299. ISSN: 2378-2129
- Banani, R. , Vahdati, M. , Shahrestani, M. , Clements-Croome, D. (2016) The development of building assessment criteria framework for sustainable non-residential buildings in Saudi Arabia. Sustainable Cities and Society , 26 pp. 289-305. ISSN: 2210-6707 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.scs.2016.07.007
- Shahrestani, M. , Yao, R. , Cook, G. (2014) A review of existing building benchmarks and the development of a set of reference office buildings for England and Wales. Intelligent Buildings International Journal , 6 (1). pp. 41-64. ISSN: 1750-8975 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/17508975.2013.828586
- Shahrestani, M. , Yao, R. , Cook, G. (2013) Characterising the energy performance of centralised HVAC&R systems in the UK. Energy and Buildings , 62 pp. 239-247. ISSN: 0378-7788 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.enbuild.2013.03.016
- Shahrestani, M. , Yao, R. , Cook, G. (2013) Developing new components for variable flow distribution system modelling in TRNSYS. Building Simulation , 6 (3). pp. 309-322. ISSN: 1996-8744 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s12273-013-0123-x
- Shahrestani, M. and Yao, R. (2011) An integrated dynamic whole life costing analysis for air distribution systems. pp. 2907-2918.
- Ardehali, M. , Shahrestani, M. , Adams, C. (2007) Energy simulation of solar assisted absorption system and examination of clearness index effects on auxiliary heating. Energy Conversion and Management , 48 (3). pp. 864-870. ISSN: 0196-8904 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2006.08.012