Dr Mehdi Shahrestani
- Director of Architectural Engineering Programmes (BEng/MEng)
- Chair of Health, Safety, and Wellbeing Committee
Building locationChancellor's Building
Areas of interest
- Net-zero carbon future.
- Decarbonisation of heating and cooling systems
- Energy systems modelling
- Renewable energy technologies
- Building mechanical services
- Interactions between energy and environmental systems
- Muhammad Imran Khan: A multidimensional assessment of natural gas as an alternative transportation fuel.
- Bashar Alfalah: Identifying occupancy patterns and profiles and their influence on the energy performance of buildings.
- Josephine Gwen Lloyd-Papworth: Managing effects of weather through advanced analytics.
- Ahmed Hany Elgamal: Energy management approaches of Virtual Power Plants.
- Nobert Matadi: Collaboration and alliance in the construction industry.
- Abdul Ahad Jhumka: Transient stability of a renewable energy grid for small island developing states.
- Raed Alshammari: A building assessment framework for the net-zero carbon future.
CE1CCS- Construction science (UG-Part1)
CE2BSF-Building services fundamentals (UG-Part2)
CE2ADE-Architectural design (UG-Part2)
CE3HVA-Heating, ventilation and air-conditioning design (UG-Part3)
CEM221-Energy in Buildings (MSc)
CE2BES1- Building Environment Systems (UG-Part2)
CE3CCD - Dissertation (UG-Part 3)
CE3BED- Research method, dissertation (UG-Part 3)
CEM107/17A/17B- Sustainable design and management principles and practice (MSc)
CEM10A - Research skills (MSc)
CEM10B - Dissertation supervision (MSc)
Research centres and groups
- Living Lab, data management, analysis and storage for developing data-driven research related to building energy and environmental systems, Institute of Physics (IoP), Co-I, 2019-2022.
- Indoor air quality, Ministry of Science & Technology P.R.China, PI, 2020-2021.
- School indoor environment and ventilation control strategies for children’s health and well-being, Halton Foundation, Co-I, 2014-2016.
- Research Cooperation in Renewable Energy Technologies for Electricity Generation (REELCOOP), study the performance of the double skin PV façade system, European funded project, Research Fellow,2013-2017.
My career in Engineering began after my BSc degree in Mechanical Engineering. I then joined an international consultants' engineering and construction firm where I was heavily involved in the management, design, construction, and commissioning of building mechanical services for industrial and non-industrial projects.
In parallel, I started studying towards an MSc and received my degree in Energy Systems Engineering. Having nine years of industrial experience in energy generation, distribution and use especially in building mechanical services, I started my PhD at the University of Reading.
After my PhD, I joined the Research Cooperation in Renewable Energy Technologies for Electricity Generation (REELCOOP) project as a Research Fellow to study the performance of the double skin PV façade system.
In 2015, I was appointed as lecturer in Sustainable Technologies at the University of Reading.
- PhD, 2013 (University of Reading, Fuzzy decision-making modelling for building environmental systems selection)
- MSc in Energy Systems Engineering, 2005 (KNT University, Numerical modelling of solar-assisted cooling systems)
- BSc in Mechanical Engineering, 2000 (Guilan University, Modelling, and design of prototypical parabolic trough solar collectors)
- Fellow of the Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers (FCIBSE)
- Fellow of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers (FIMechE)
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
- Chartered Engineer (CEng)
- Member of American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-conditioning Engineers (MASHRAE)
- Member of the International Building Performance Simulation Association (MIBPSA)
- Associate Editor, Journal of Intelligent Buildings International
- Yuan, X. , Zhu, M. , Liang, Y. , Shahrestani, M. ORCID: 0000-0002-8741-0912 , Kosonen, R. (2023) Comparison of short and long-term energy performance and decarbonization potentials between cogeneration and GSHP systems under MARKAL scenarios. Sustainability , 15 (2). ISSN: 2071-1050 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.3390/su15021604
- Alfalah, B. , Shahrestani, M. ORCID: 0000-0002-8741-0912 , Shao, L. (2022) Identifying occupancy patterns and profiles in higher education institution buildings with high occupancy density – a case study. Intelligent Buildings International Journal ISSN: 1750-8975 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/17508975.2022.2137451
- Alfalah, B. , Shahrestani, M. ORCID: 0000-0002-8741-0912 , Shao, L. (2022) Machine learning occupancy prediction models - a case study.
- Gunn, C. , Vahdati, M. , Shahrestani, M. ORCID: 0000-0002-8741-0912 (2022) Green walls in schools - the potential well-being benefits. Building and Environment , 224 ISSN: 0360-1323 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.buildenv.2022.109560
- Elgamal, A. , Vahdati, M. , Shahrestani, M. ORCID: 0000-0002-8741-0912 (2022) Assessing the economic and energy efficiency for multi-energy virtual power plants in regulated markets: a case study in Egypt. Sustainable Cities and Society , 83 ISSN: 2210-6707
- Haji Ismail, F. , Shahrestani, M. , Vahdati, M. , Boyd, P. , Donyavi, S. (2021) Climate change and the energy performance of buildings in the future – a case study for prefabricated buildings in the UK. Journal of Building Engineering , 39 ISSN: 2352-7102 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jobe.2021.102285
- Looby, K. , Smith, S. ORCID: 0000-0002-5053-4639 , Shahrestani, M. ORCID: 0000-0002-8741-0912 (2021) Attitudes towards offsite prefabrication: a fuzzy approach to examining uncertainty within U.K. industry perception. Intelligent Buildings International Journal ISSN: 1750-8975 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/17508975.2021.2004385
- Garraín, D. , Herrera, I. , Rodríguez-Serrano, I. , Lechón, Y. , Hepbasli, A. , Araz, M. , Biyik, E. , Yao, R. , Shahrestani, M. , Essah, E. , Shao, L. , Rico, E. , Lechón, J. , Oliveira, A. (2020) Sustainability indicators of a naturally ventilated photovoltaic façade system. Journal of Cleaner Production , 266 ISSN: 0959-6526 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2020.121946
- Liu, X. , Chen, X. , Shahrestani, M. (2020) Optimization of insulation thickness of external walls of residential buildings in hot summer and cold winter zone of China. Sustainability , 12 (4). ISSN: 2071-1050 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.3390/su12041574
- Li, B. , Zheng, M. , Shahrestani, M. , Zhang, S. (2020) Driving factors of the thermal efficiency of ground source heat pump systems with vertical boreholes in Chongqing by experiments. Journal of Building Engineering , 28 ISSN: 2352-7102 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jobe.2019.101049
- Prakobboon, N. , Vahdati, M. , Shahrestani, M. (2019) Social practices required for the recovery of cassava waste for heat generation in Thailand. International Journal of Biomass & Renewables , 8 (1). pp. 12-24. ISSN: 2289-1692
- Khan, M. , Shahrestani, M. , Hayat, T. , Shakoor, A. , Vahdati, M. (2019) Life cycle (well-to-wheel) energy and environmental assessment of natural gas as transportation fuel in Pakistan. Applied Energy , 242 pp. 1738-1752. ISSN: 0306-2619 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2019.03.196
- Jobli, M. , Yao, R. , Luo, Z. , Shahrestani, M. , Li, N. , Liu, H. (2019) Numerical and experimental studies of a capillary-tube embedded PCM component for improving indoor thermal environment. Applied Thermal Engineering , 148 pp. 466-477. ISSN: 1359-4311 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2018.10.041
- Li, B. , Cheng, Z. , Yao, R. , Wang, H. , Yu, W. , Bu, Z. , Xiong, J. , Zhang, T. , Essah, E. , Luo, Z. , Shahrestani, M. , Kipen, H. (2019) An investigation of formaldehyde concentration in residences and the development of a model for the prediction of its emission rates. Building and Environment , 147 pp. 540-550. ISSN: 0360-1323 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.buildenv.2018.10.045
- Moss, J. , Doick, K. , Smith, S. , Shahrestani, M. (2019) Influence of evaporative cooling by urban forests on cooling demand in cities. Urban Forestry and Urban Greening , 37 pp. 65-73. ISSN: 1618-8667 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ufug.2018.07.023
- Short, A. , Li, B. , Shahrestani, M. ORCID: 0000-0002-8741-0912 , eds. (2018) Special issue of the “Journal of Building Engineering: climate responsive solutions to heating and cooling of buildings”. Journal of Building Engineering , 15. Elsevier pp 289. | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jobe.2017.11.007
- Hepbasli, A. , Araz, M. , Biyik, E. , Yao, R. , Shahrestani, M. , Essah, E. ORCID: 0000-0002-1349-5167 , Shao, L. , Oliveira, A. , del Caño, T. , Rico, E. , Lechón, J. (2018) Thermoeconomic analysis and evaluation of a Building-Integrated Photovoltaic (BIPV) system based on actual operational data. In: Nižetić, S. and Papadopoulos, A. , (eds.) The Role of Exergy in Energy and the Environment. Springer Link , Green Energy and Technology book series. pp. 877-886. ISBN: 9783319898445 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-89845-2_63
- Prakobboon, N. , Vahdati, M. , Shahrestani, M. (2018) An environmental impact assessment of the management of cassava waste: a case study in Thailand. International Journal of Biomass & Renewables , 7 (2). pp. 18-29. ISSN: 2289-1692
- Costanzo, V. , Yao, R. , Essah, E. , Shao, L. , Shahrestani, M. , Oliveira, A. , Araz, M. , Hepbasli, A. , Biyik, E. (2018) A method of strategic evaluation of energy performance of Building Integrated Photovoltaic in the urban context. Journal of Cleaner Production , 184 pp. 82-91. ISSN: 0959-6526 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2018.02.139
- Shahrestani, M. , Yao, R. , Cook, G. (2018) A fuzzy multiple attribute decision making tool for HVAC&R systems selection with considering the future probabilistic climate changes and electricity decarbonisation plans in the UK. Energy and Buildings , 159 pp. 398-418. ISSN: 0378-7788 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.enbuild.2017.10.089
- Shahrestani, M. , Yao, R. , Cook, G. , Clements-Croome, D. (2018) Decision-making on HVAC&R systems selection: a critical review. Intelligent Buildings International Journal , 10 (3). pp. 133-153. ISSN: 1750-8975 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/17508975.2017.1333948
- Yuan, X. , Shahrestani, M. , Fernbank, D. , Burton, J. , Liu, J. , Yang, Y. (2017) Performance characteristics of ground source heat pump and combined heat and power systems under electricity decarbonisation plans.
- Zhao, K. , Shahrestani, M. , Zhao, L. (2017) Assessment of thermal comfort and indoor air quality in newly built offices.
- Araz, M. , Hepbasli, A. , Biyik, E. , Shahrestani, M. , Yao, R. , Essah, E. , Shao, L. , Oliveira, A. , Ekren, O. , Günerhan, H. (2017) Performance evaluation of a building integrated photovoltaic (BIPV) system combined with a wastewater source heat pump (WWSHP) system. Energy Procedia , 140 pp. 434-446. ISSN: 1876-6102 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.egypro.2017.11.155
- Mohareb, E. , Hashemi, A. , Shahrestani, M. , Sunikka-Blank, M. (2017) Retrofit planning for the performance gap: results of a workshop on addressing energy, health and comfort needs in a protected building. Energies , 10 (8). ISSN: 1996-1073 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.3390/en10081177
- Biyik, E. , Araz, M. , Hepbasli, A. , Shahrestani, M. , Yao, R. , Shao, L. , Essah, E. , Oliveira, A. , del Caño, T. , Rico, E. , Lechón, J. , Andrade, L. , Mendes, A. , Atlı, Y. (2017) A key review of building integrated photovoltaic (BIPV) systems. Engineering Science and Technology, an International Journal , 20 (3). pp. 833-858. ISSN: 2215-0986 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jestch.2017.01.009
- Shahrestani, M. , Yao, R. , Essah, E. , Shao, L. , Oliveira, A. , Hepbasli, A. , Biyik, E. , Caño, T. , Rico, E. , Lechón, J. (2017) Experimental and numerical studies to assess the energy performance of naturally ventilated PV façade systems. Solar Energy , 147 pp. 37-51. ISSN: 0038-092X | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.solener.2017.02.034
- Yao, R. , Han, S. , Li, X. , Shahrestani, M. , Li, B. (2016) Evaluation of building retrofit strategies in different climate zones. ASHRAE Conference Transactions 2016 , 122 pp. 289-299. ISSN: 2378-2129
- Banani, R. , Vahdati, M. , Shahrestani, M. , Clements-Croome, D. (2016) The development of building assessment criteria framework for sustainable non-residential buildings in Saudi Arabia. Sustainable Cities and Society , 26 pp. 289-305. ISSN: 2210-6707 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.scs.2016.07.007
- Shahrestani, M. , Yao, R. , Luo, Z. , Turkbeyler, E. , Davies, H. (2015) A field study of urban microclimates in London. Renewable Energy , 73 pp. 3-9. ISSN: 0960-1481 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2014.05.061
- Shahrestani, M. , Yao, R. , Cook, G. (2014) A review of existing building benchmarks and the development of a set of reference office buildings for England and Wales. Intelligent Buildings International Journal , 6 (1). pp. 41-64. ISSN: 1750-8975 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/17508975.2013.828586
- Shahrestani, M. , Yao, R. , Cook, G. (2013) Characterising the energy performance of centralised HVAC&R systems in the UK. Energy and Buildings , 62 pp. 239-247. ISSN: 0378-7788 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.enbuild.2013.03.016
- Shahrestani, M. , Yao, R. , Cook, G. (2013) Developing new components for variable flow distribution system modelling in TRNSYS. Building Simulation , 6 (3). pp. 309-322. ISSN: 1996-8744 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s12273-013-0123-x
- Shahrestani, M. and Yao, R. (2011) An integrated dynamic whole life costing analysis for air distribution systems. pp. 2907-2918.
- Ardehali, M. , Shahrestani, M. , Adams, C. (2007) Energy simulation of solar assisted absorption system and examination of clearness index effects on auxiliary heating. Energy Conversion and Management , 48 (3). pp. 864-870. ISSN: 0196-8904 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2006.08.012