Dr Ben Potter
Areas of interestRenewable energy
TeachingDr Ben Potter teaches on several undergraduate and postgraduate modules, including Construction Science, Building Environmental Services, Renewable Energy in Power Systems and Sustainable Urban Systems.
Research centres and groupsUniversity of Reading Energy & Environmental Engineering Research Group
Dr Ben Potter completed his MEng degree in Engineering Science at the University of Oxford in 2001 and his PhD research in the modelling of induction machines at the University of Reading in 2005.
Dr Potter subsequently managed research and development activity for several years in industry, including development work on wireless power transfer systems, before joining the University of Reading in 2009.
Ben is currently an Associate Professor of Energy Systems within the School of the Built Environment at the University, and his academic research has been largely focused on energy systems of various flavours, for over eighteen years, with applications including energy storage, network planning and modelling, and the integration of electric vehicles in the grid.
Ben founded the Energy Research Lab in 2010, now part of the Technologies for the Sustainable Built Environment Centre, and this lab focuses on the development of control methods and business models for the new generation of energy networks – the smart grid – to ensure that the integration of active elements such as renewable energy resources, electric vehicles and energy storage devices will have positive impacts for both network operators and end users.
Dr Potter has been a member of the DECC/Ofgem Smart Grid Forum Workstream 7, a member of the steering group of the Future Power Systems Architect (FPSA) project run by the IET and commissioned by DECC, and a Science Board member for the EPSRC-funded "Energy Superstore", the UK's energy storage research hub, and is presently part of the Reading Climate Change Strategy group.
Ben has also been working on V1G and V2G electric vehicle charging projects in recent years, and was actively involved with the Electric Nation smart EV charging project through collaboration with Crowd Charge Ltd.
- Yunusov, T. , Zangs, M. , Holderbaum, W. , Fila, M. , Potter, B. (2018) Online control algorithm for sub-half-hourly operation of LV-connected energy storage device owned by DNO. pp. 1342-1346.
- Yunusov, T. , Haben, S. , Lee, T. , Ziel, F. , Holderbaum, W. , Potter, B. (2017) Evaluating the effectiveness of storage control in reducing peak demand on low voltage feeders. pp. 1745-1749.
- Ritzmann, D. , Rens, J. , Wright, P. , Holderbaum, W. , Potter, B. (2017) A novel approach to noninvasive measurement of overhead line impedance parameters. IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement , 66 (6). pp. 1155-1163. ISSN: 0018-9456 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/TIM.2017.2665958
- Daniels, L. , Coker, P. , Potter, B. (2016) Embodied carbon dioxide of network assets in a decarbonised electricity grid. Applied Energy , 180 pp. 142 - 154. ISSN: 0306-2619 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2016.07.044
- Ritzmann, D. , Wright, P. , Holderbaum, W. , Potter, B. (2016) A method for accurate transmission line impedance parameter estimation. IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement , 65 (10). pp. 2204-2213. ISSN: 0018-9456 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/TIM.2016.2556920
- Zangs, M. , Adams, P. , Yunusov, T. , Holderbaum, W. , Potter, B. (2016) Distributed energy storage control for dynamic load impact mitigation. Energies , 9 (8). ISSN: 1996-1073 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/en9080647
- Yunusov, T. , Frame, D. , Holderbaum, W. , Potter, B. (2016) The impact of location and type on the performance of Low-Voltage network connected Battery Energy Storage Systems. Applied Energy , 165 pp. 202-213. ISSN: 3062619 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2015.12.045
- Daniels, L. , Coker, P. , Gunn, A. , Potter, B. (2016) Using proxies to calculate the carbon impact of investment into electricity network assets. Applied Energy , 162 pp. 551-560. ISSN: 0306-2619 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2015.10.111
- Zangs, M. , Yunusov, T. , Holderbaum, W. , Potter, B. (2016) On-line adjustment of battery schedules for supporting LV distribution network operation.
- Rodriguez, A. , Smith, S. , Kiff, A. , Potter, B. (2016) Small power load disaggregation in office buildings based on electrical signature classification. pp. 1-6.
- Moorey, C. , Holderbaum, W. , Potter, B. (2015) Investigation of high-efficiency Wireless Power Transfer criteria of resonantly-coupled loops and dipoles through analysis of the figure of merit. Energies , 8 (10). pp. 11342-11362. ISSN: 1996-1073 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/en81011342
- Daniels, L. , Potter, B. , Coker, P. (2014) Exploring methods to evaluate the carbon impact of network investment deferral. pp. 1-6.
- Rowe, M. , Yunusov, T. , Haben, S. , Singleton, C. , Holderbaum, W. , Potter, B. (2014) A peak reduction scheduling algorithm for storage devices on the low voltage network. IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid , 5 (4). pp. 2115-2124. ISSN: 1949-3053 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/TSG.2014.2323115
- Rowe, M. , Yunusov, T. , Haben, S. , Holderbaum, W. , Potter, B. (2014) The real-time optimisation of DNO owned storage devices on the LV network for peak reduction. Energies , 7 (6). pp. 3537-3560. ISSN: 1996-1073 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/en7063537
- Markakis, A. , Holderbaum, W. , Potter, B. (2014) Bond graph models of DC-DC converters operating in both CCM and DCM. International Journal of Power Electronics , 6 (1). pp. 18-41. ISSN: 1756-6398 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1504/IJPELEC.2014.060706
- Daniels, L. , Walton, P. , Potter, B. , Coker, P. (2014) Using standby generators in support of an electricity network: logistics and experience.
- Cave-Ayland, K. , Becerra, V. , Potter, B. , Shirsavar, A. (2014) Systematic selection of analogue redesign method for forward-type digital power converters. International Journal of Electronics , 101 (5). pp. 667-680. ISSN: 0020-7217 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00207217.2013.794486
- Rowe, M. , Holderbaum, W. , Potter, B. (2013) Control methodologies: Peak reduction algorithms for DNO owned storage devices on the Low Voltage network. pp. 1-5. | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/ISGTEurope.2013.6695291
- Daniels, L. , Potter, B. , Coker, P. (2013) Financial implications for companies running standby generators in support of a smart grid. pp. 727-732.
- Haben, S. , Rowe, M. , Vukadinovic Greetham, D. , Grindrod, P. , Holderbaum, W. , Potter, B. , Singleton, C. (2013) Mathematical solutions for electricity networks in a low carbon future. pp. 0857-0857. | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1049/cp.2013.0972
- Hallworth, M. , Potter, B. , Shirsavar, A. (2013) Analytical calculation of resonant inductance for zero voltage switching in phase-shifted full-bridge converters. Power Electronics, IET , 6 (3). pp. 523-534. ISSN: 1755-4543 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1049/iet-pel.2012.0461
- Cave-Ayland, K. , Becerra, V. , Potter, B. , Shirsavar, A. (2012) Choosing the most suitable analogue redesign method for forward-type digital power converters. IEEE pp. 1-6. ISBN: 9781467345064 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/PEDES.2012.6484259
- Mitchell, R. , Harwin, W. , Cadenas Medina, O. , Guy, C. , Gong, A. , Potter, B. , Warwick, K. , eds. (2012) Cybernetics, Circuits and Computing. In: Mitchell, R. , Harwin, W. , Cadenas Medina, O. , Guy, C. , Gong, A. , Potter, B. , Warwick, K. (eds.) Pearson , Harlow. pp 499. ISBN: 9781780160672
- Yunusov, T. , Holderbaum, W. , Potter, B. (2011) Cost function for sub-agent elements in multi-agent energy management system. pp. 1-8. | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/ISGTEurope.2011.6162783
- Yunusov, T. , Holderbaum, W. , Potter, B. (2011) Sub-agent elements for control methods in multi-agent energy management system. IEEE pp. 1-7.
- Markakis, A. , Holderbaum, W. , Potter, B. (2011) A comparison between bond graphs switching modelling techniques implemented on a boost dc-dc converter. IEEE pp. 1-7.
- Potter, B. and Shirsavar, S. (2009) Contactless power transfer system for rotating applications. WindTech International pp. 32-35.
- Potter, B. , Shirsavar, S. , McCulloch, M. (2007) Study of the variation of the input impedance of induction machines with frequency. IET Electric Power Applications , 1 (1). pp. 36-42. ISSN: 1751-8660 | doi: DOI:10.1049/iet-epa:20050524
- Potter, B. and Shirsavar, S. (2006) Design, implementation and characterisation of a contactless power transfer system for rotating applications. IEEE pp. 2168-2173.
- Shirsavar, S. , Potter, B. , Ridge, I. (2006) Three-phase machines and drives - equipment for a laboratory-based course. IEEE Transactions on Education , 49 (3). pp. 383-388. ISSN: 0018-9359 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/TE.2006.879266
- Potter, B. , Shirsavar, S. , Ridge, I. (2004) Purpose built teaching equipment for a laboratory based course in three phase machines and drives. IEEE pp. 503-508. ISBN: 780385993