- University of Reading 2021, delivering a workshop titled “Changing perspectives – exploring our students’ views on disability and online learning” for the Innoconf 2021, Shaping Futures for Modern Languages in Higher Education.
- University of Exeter 2021, delivering a workshop titled “Combining Signed and Spoken Language Studies: Tools for Language Teachers” for the Conference: Intercultural Competence and Foreign Language Learning in HE: Present and future directions.
- University of Warsaw 2021, contributing to the Summer School for UG students of Italian with a cycle of workshops about Invisible Disabilities and Inclusive Teaching on the topic “Mediazione linguistica e culturale tra l’Italia e la Polonia”.
- University of Reading 2020, Co-leader of the Hackathon event – a cross-departmental project (SBE, Real Estate, Typography, Architecture and Modern Languages) to embed inclusive design into teaching and learning in build environment professional education and beyond.
- AULC London 2019, “Linguistic transitions: towards languages for life”, King’s College.
- UK LINGUA 2019, “Multilingual Language Learning and Teaching Colloquium”, University of Durham, U.K.
- Stockholm University 2019, presenting a paper titled “Diversity and Inclusion in Language Teaching” and delivering two workshops about “Deaf awareness and blind awareness in language teaching” and “Audio Description applied to language teaching. Working out the four skills” for the Department of Language education.
- AULC Belfast 2017, presenting "Encouraging Students to Learn Deeply and Broadly"
Mr Ugo Marsili
- Teacher and module convenor: Italian stage 1 and 3
- Language Lead for British Sign Language (BSL) and French
- Deputy Departmental Director of Academic Tutoring (DDAT)
- Departmental Disability Officer
Building locationMiller building
Areas of interest
I am a Fellow of the HEA and I have been teaching foreign language courses (Italian and Spanish) on the undergraduate programme of the Institution-Wide Language Programme (IWLP) and the Language Degree programmes in the Department of Languages and Cultures (DLC).
My main area of interest is in developing students’ speaking skills in a foreign language as well as analysing the strong connection between emotions, memory and language retention of vocabulary and grammar structures in students with different linguistic and cultural backgrounds.
As an audio-visual translator and D&I trainer, I work closely with the Blind and Deaf communities and students with disabilities. I run regular Deaf Awareness sessions for the CQSD and the Teaching and Learning Programme and I provide Deaf Awareness training for Fire Wardens and First Aiders in the DLC.
I recently co-designed and delivered a British Sign Language and Deaf Awareness summer course for members of the Disability Advisory Service (DAS) and Student Services to help them supporting students with hearing impairments.
I have also co-organised a “Hearing dogs for the Deaf” event to promote awareness about Deaf Awareness and Culture in the workplace.
I am working on different projects related to accessibility and perception of disability with the Institute of Education (IoE), the Typography Department, the School of Built Environment and the International Study and Language Institute as well as contributing to weblog to embedding inclusive design into teaching and learning in built environment, professional education and beyond.
Institution-Wide Language Programme (IWLP) and Degree programmes in the Department of Languages and Cultures
- Italian 1, 2 and 3 IWLP
- Spanish 1 and 2 IWLP
- IT3LMB Degree programme
- IT1L1, IT1L2 and IT1L3 Degree programme
In my role of D&I trainer I contribute as visiting lecturer for the following Programmes and Departments:
- CE3CIE – Inclusive Environments – School of Built Environment
- ED3FCD - Institute of Education – Child Development
- IL1GICC 1&2 – ISLI - Intercultural Competence and Communication
I hold a MA degree in Linguistics, Literary Studies and Translation (Spanish and Polish) from the University “La Sapienza”, Italy and an MSc degree in Teaching Italian as a Foreign Language from the University for Foreigners of Siena, Italy.
I have a postgraduate diploma in audio-visual translation for Cinema and Performing Arts in Poland and I completed an intensive Training Course for Teachers of Italian as a foreign language at the International House in Rome. I recently qualified as a Teacher of English as a Foreign Language (CELTA).
I am a trained musician, I studied oboe at the Conservatory in Rome, Italy. I am into music as I am into learning new languages. At the moment I am studying Modern Greek. I enjoy travelling, sports, cooking and Latin dance.
- University of Rome (Italy), MA in Linguistic and Literary Studies (Polish, Spanish and Brazilian Portuguese)
- University for Foreigners of Siena (Italy), MSc in Teaching Italian Language to Adults
- International House, Rome (Italy), Teacher Training Diploma to teach Italian to foreign students Institute Cervantes, London, Teacher Training Diploma to teach Spanish to Adults
- University of Poznan, PgDip in audio visual translation for the Cinema and Performing Arts International House London, Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults (CELTA)
I am an external examiner for the “University Wide Language Programme” at Imperial College London and the University of Bristol.
Co-worker and Trainer for the “Open Culture Open Art Foundation”, Poland..
- Translation from Polish to Italian of Leszek Bednarczuk's essay 'Władza nad mową' in Plit, Rome: Lithos, 2008.
- Translation from Spanish to Italian of Rosalba Campra's essay 'Le Rovine Circolari of Jorge Luis Borges' in Il Fantastico e l'allegoria edited by Francesco Muzzioli. Rome: Editori Riuniti.