Emeritus Professor David Robey
Areas of interest
I was educated at Winchester College and graduated from Oxford in Modern Languages in 1966. After brief spells as lecturer at Lake Forest College, Illinois, and the University of Reading, from 1968 I was appointed a University Lecturer in Italian at Oxford. I left in 1989, to be Professor of Italian at Manchester University, where I also became Dean of the Arts Faculty.
In 1998 I moved back to Reading as Professor of Italian, and was Head of the Department of Italian, then Head of the School of Modern Languages, then its Research Director. From 2003 to 2008 I was Director of the Arts and Humanities Research Council's ICT in Arts and Humanities Research Programme.
I retired from Reading in 2008, and am currently part-time Arts and Humanities Consultant at the Oxford e-Research Centre.
- Robey, D. (2006) Rhythm and metre from the Liberata to the Conquistata. The Italianist , 26 (2). pp. 247-273. ISSN: 1748-619X | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1179/026143406X151809
- Robey, D. (2005) Humanist views on the study of poetry in the early Italian Renaissance. In: Minnis, A. and Johnson, I. , (eds.) The Cambridge history of literary criticism. The Cambridge history of literary criticism , 2: the Mid. Cambridge University Press (2). , Cambridge. pp. 626-647. ISBN: 9780521300070
- Robey, D. (2005) Patterns of language in Dante: some computer-generated statistics. In: Ó Cuilleanáin, C. and Petrie, J. , (eds.) Patterns in Dante: nine literary essays. Four Courts Press , Dublin. pp. 85-105. ISBN: 9781851825424
- Hainsworth, P. and Robey, D. (2004) Enciclopedia della Letteratura Italiana Oxford-Zanichelli. Zanichelli , Bologna. pp 896. ISBN: 9788808324047 (Edizione italiana a cura di Pasquale Stoppelli)
- Robey, D. (2004) Introduction: interpretation and uncertainty. In: Sibley, R. and Ross, C. , (eds.) Illuminating Eco: on the boundaries of interpretation. Warwick studies in the humanities Ashgate , Aldershot. pp. 1-10. ISBN: 9780754636809