Dr Catriona McAllister
Building locationMiller building
Areas of interest
My research focuses on Argentine literature and culture, with a particular emphasis on ideas of nationhood and relationships between history and literature. I am currently working on the representation of historical narratives in Argentine museums and the representation of history in cultural production for children.
I have published a monograph on rewritings of independence in contemporary Argentine literature, exploring the relationship between history, politics and literature in a corpus of six texts. I have also written on literary representations of the Falklands/Malvinas conflict within Argentina.
I welcome enquiries concerning research supervision in any of my areas of research interest.
- Begoña Garrido (Department of Languages and Cultures): Were all Basque women ‘La Pasionaria’? Negotiating gendered spaces in working-class Basque women’s testimonies of Bizkaia, under Franco (1937-1949)
- Emma Jackson (Department of Languages and Cultures): The Use of Objects in the Construction, Expression and Negotiation of Identities: A Case Study of Maya Dolls from Mexico and Guatemala (March 2020)
- Jeff Gonzalez (Department of Languages and Cultures): Globalization in the Lukumi Orisha Diaspora (2023)
I co-teach two first-year modules: SP1I1 (Icons of Spain and Latin America) and SP1SLAC (Introduction to Spanish and Latin American Culture).
I convene and teach a second-year module on Latin America’s history and culture in the 19th century, placed in global context (SP2TT, Transatlantic Exchanges).
I convene and teach a final-year module on dictatorship, memory and cultural production in Latin America’s Southern Cone (SP3MDR).
I also contribute to a departmental module on global fantastic literature (ML2GF) and to Spanish language teaching.
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- PhD in Latin American Studies (Cambridge)
- MA in Latin American Studies (Salamanca)
- BA (Hons) in Modern Languages (Oxford)
- McAllister, C. (2022) Literary Reimaginings of Argentina's Independence: History, Fiction, Politics. Liverpool Latin American Studies Liverpool University Press (23). pp 160. ISBN: 9781800348455
- McAllister, C. (2021) Flying the flag: Malvinas and questions of patriotism. In: Mira Delli-Zotti, G. and Pedrosa, F. , (eds.) Revisiting the Falklands/Malvinas Question: Transnational and Interdisciplinary Perspectives. ILAS (Institute of Latin American Studies) , London. pp. 161-172. ISBN: 9781908857569
- Mcallister, C. (2020) Borders inscribed on the body: geopolitics and the everyday in the work of Martín Kohan. Bulletin of Latin American Research , 39 (4). pp. 453-465. ISSN: 1470-9856 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1111/blar.13089
- Mcallister, C. (2016) History and the popular: rewriting national origins at the Argentine Bicentenary. Modern Languages Open , 2016 (April). ISSN: 2052-5397 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.3828/mlo.v0i0.35