Areas of interest
Geophysical survey, interpretation, data processing and analysis. GIS support.
Rob is responsible for a variety of field-based geophysics projects which support the research and teaching programme of the school. The range of activities is wide and includes:
- organising geophysical survey
- maintaining geophysical and surveying equipment and software
- processing data
- the creation of graphical output such as geophysical interpretations and published detailed reports.
Rob is also involved with the teaching and mentoring of students for related research.
Research centres and groups
Rob has worked in archaeological and shallow geophysics for 10 years in both commercial and research organisations, during which time he was a prominent member within the Management Committee for the International Society for Archaeological Prospection (ISAP).
Rob was the Project Officer for the Silchester Mapping Project, based at Reading University, and has surveyed many hundreds of hectares within and around the Roman Town of Calleva. He has also worked as a geophysicist for The British School at Rome, Wessex Archaeology, Archaeophysica, and Earthsound Archaeological Geophysics.
- Caval, S. , Fry, R. , Vrućinić, L. , Srdić, L. (2020) Geofizikalno Istraživanje Multiperiodne Nepokretne Baštine U Istočnoj Herzegovini. Naše starine
- Schmidt, A. , Fry, R. , Parkyn, A. , Bonsall, J. , Gaffney, C. (2019) Predicting the contrast in earth resistance data from weather observations.
- Schmidt, A. , Fry, R. , Parkyn, A. , Bonsall , J. , Gaffney, C. (2017) When the time is right: the impact of weather variations on the contrast in earth resistance data. In: Jennings, B. , Gaffney, C. , Sparrow, T. , Gaffney, S. , (eds.) AP2017 12th International Conference of Archaeological Prospection . Archaeopress Publishing Ltd , Oxford, UK. pp. 218-219. ISBN: 9781784916770
- Creighton, J. and Fry, R. (2016) Silchester: changing visions of a Roman town. Integrating geophysics and archaeology - the results of the Silchester Mapping Project 2005-10. Britannia Monograph Series , 28. Society for the Promotion of Roman Studies , London. pp 448. ISBN: 9780907764427
- Gaffney, C. , Harris, C. , Pope-Carter, F. , Bonsall, J. , Fry, R. , Parkyn, A. (2015) Still searching for graves: an analytical strategy for interpreting geophysical data used in the search for “unmarked” graves. Near Surface Geophysics , 13 (6). pp. 557-569. ISSN: 1569-4445 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.3997/1873-0604.2015029
- Harris, C. , Gaffney, C. , Pope-Carter, F. , Bonsall, J. , Fry, R. , Parkyn, A. (2015) High Royds: an integrated, analytical approach for mapping the unmarked burials of a pauper cemetery. Archaeologia Polona , 53 pp. 467-471. ISSN: 0066-5924
- Boddice , D. , Fry, R. , Beck, A. , Gaffney, C. , Metje, N. , Schmidt, A. (2013) The impact on environmental dynamics on multiple sensor responses over archaeological features, examples from the DART Project. In: Neubauer, W. , Trinks, I. , Salisbury, R. , Einwogerer, C. , (eds.) Archaeological Prospection Proceedings of the 10th International Conference . Commission of the Austrian Academy of Sciences , Vienna. pp. 415-418. ISBN: 9783700174592
- Bonsall , J. , Fry, R. , Pope-Carter, F. , Gaffney, C. , Armit, I. (2013) Mapping prehistoric wooden trackways using time domain induced polarisation. In: Neubauer, W. , Trinks, I. , Salisbury, R. , Einwogerer, C. , (eds.) Archaeological Prospection Proceedings of the 10th International Conference . Commission of the Austrian Academy of Sciences , Vienna. pp. 277-279. ISBN: 9783700174592
- Bonsall, J. , Fry, R. , Gaffney, C. , Armit, I. , Beck, A. , Gaffney, V. (2013) Assessment of the CMD Mini-Explorer, a new low-frequency multi-coil electromagnetic device, for archaeological investigations. Archaeological Prospection , 20 (3). pp. 219-231. ISSN: 1075-2196 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1002/arp.1458
- Fry, R. , Gaffney, C. , Sparrow, T. , Batt, C. (2011) FlashRes64 electrical resistivity imaging for archaeological applications. In: Drahor, M. and Berge, M. , (eds.) Archaeological Prospection. Archaeology and Art Publications: 9th international conference on archaelogical prospection, September 19-24, 2011, Izmir, Turkey : extended abstracts , Izmir, Turkey. pp. 108-111. ISBN: 9786053961550
- Fry, R. , Gaffney, C. , Beck, A. (2011) The DART Project: a major new investigation into what lies beneath our soils. In: Drahor, M. and Berge, M. , (eds.) Archaeological Prospection: 9th international conference on archaelogical prospection, September 19-24, 2011, Izmir, Turkey : extended abstracts. Archaeology and Art Publications , Izmir, Turkey. pp. 37-39. ISBN: 9786053961550
- Strutt, K. , Fry, R. , Prevosti, M. , Carreras Monfort, C. (2011) Memoria de les prospeccions geofisiques realitzades a l’ager Tarragonensis. Ager Tarraconensis Volume 2: El poblament, Tarragona. Institut Català D'Estudis Catalans pp. 223-248. ISBN: 9788493773458