- Undergraduate teaching
- Collaboration with NUIST
Areas of interest
- Pleistocene and Holocene vegetation succession and climate change in Britain and Europe
- Geographic information systems and remote sensing applications in geography
- Landscape formation and development during the Holocene, with a particular focus on heathlands, and its relationship to modern management practices
- Wetland and mire conservation and management
- Understanding the impact of human activities on the natural environment throughout the Late Pleistocene and the Holocene
- Stakeholder derived student participation projects
- Techniques in Geography and Environmental Science
- Introduction to Quaternary Science
- Late Quaternary Environmental Change and Human Activities
- Research Training for Geography and Environmental Science
- Crete field class, Iceland field class
Mike has a BSc (Hons) in Physical Geography, and an MSc in Geoarchaeology both from the University of Reading. For his PhD, Mike examined the relationship between environmental change and human activities at the dryland-wetland interface across the Late Glacial – Holocene boundary in Southeast England. This resulted in a clearer picture of vegetation development in the region, and a range of recommendations on wetland and mire management from a palaeoenvironmental perspective.
He is a Fellow of the Royal Geographic Society, and a member of the British Cartographic Association.
- Woodbridge, J. , Fyfe, R. , Smith, D. , de Varielles, A. , Pelling, R. , Grant, M. , Batchelor, R. ORCID: 0000-0002-8923-0368 , Scaife, R. , Greig, J. , Dark, P. , Druce, D. , Garbett, G. , Parker, A. , Hill, T. , Schofield, J. , Simmonds, M. ORCID: 0000-0001-7845-0392 , Chambers, F. , Barnett, C. , Waller, M. (2023) Agricultural systems regulate plant and insect (beetle) diversity and induce ecosystem novelty. Anthropocene , 41 ISSN: 2213-3054 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ancene.2023.100369
- Simmonds, M. ORCID: 0000-0001-7845-0392 , Branch, N. , Cousins, D. , Williams, K. (2021) The past vegetation cover and human environment of Petersfield Heath. In: Needham, S. and Anelay, G. , (eds.) Barrows at the Core of Bronze Age Communities: Petersfield Heath Excavations 2014–18 in their Regional Context. Sidestone Press , Leiden. pp. 385-407. ISBN: 9789464260441
- Simmonds, M. ORCID: 0000-0001-7845-0392 , Branch, N. , Marshall, P. , Hosfield, R. ORCID: 0000-0001-6357-2805 , Black, S. ORCID: 0000-0003-1396-4821 (2021) New insights into late Devensian late glacial and early Holocene environmental change: two high-resolution case studies from SE England. Review of Palaeobotany and Palynology , 287 ISSN: 0034-6667 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.revpalbo.2020.104364
- Guido, M. , Molinari, C. , Moneta, V. , Branch, N. , Black, S. , Simmonds, M. , Stastney, P. , Montanari, C. (2020) Climate and vegetation dynamics of the northern Apennines (Italy) during the late Pleistocene and Holocene. Quaternary Science Reviews , 231 (1). ISSN: 0277-3791 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.quascirev.2020.106206
- Simmonds, M. , Hosfield, R. , Branch, N. , Black, S. (2019) From findspot to site: a spatial examination of the Mesolithic resource in Surrey. Surrey Archaeological Collections , 102 pp. 43-69. ISSN: 0309-7803
- Thoma, S. , Williams, K. , Branch, N. , Green, C. , Batchelor, R. , Simmonds, M. , Young, D. (2017) Environmental history. In: Poulton, R. , (eds.) The moated medieval manor and Tudor royal residence at Woking Palace. Excavations between 2009 and 2015. SpoilHeap Publications ISBN: 9781912331031
- Simmonds, M. (2017) Examining the relationship between environmental change and human activities at the dryland-wetland interface during the Late Upper Palaeolithic and Mesolithic in Southeast England.
- Graham, D. , Graham, A. , Branch, N. , Simmonds, M. (2014) Environmental sampling of a bell barrow on Horsell Common, Woking. Surrey Archaeological Collections , 98 ISSN: 0309-7803