Areas of interest
- Cultural geography
- Science and technology as leisure and work
- Natural environment and climate change through landscape and volunteering
- Architecture, heritage and museum collections
- Citizen science, civic geographies and public histories
Research centres and groupsHuman Geography Research Cluster
Hilary is a cultural geographer specialising in enthusiasm. Through her research, she seeks to understand more fully what motivates and sustains individual and collective participation in activities, hobbies, interests, projects and research.
Hilary is interested in relations between people and the material world, particularly as they change over space and time. To date her research has examined passions for technology, architecture, wetland birds, weather and trees.
Hilary has a PhD in Human Geography on the cultures of enthusiasm (with MA in Cultural Geography (Research) and BA (Hons) in Geography with European Study). Prior to joining the University of Reading, Hilary worked at UCL on her ESRC Future Research Leader award researching what motivates and sustains participation in citizen science projects relating to tree health.
She has also held an ESRC Postdoctoral Fellowship (2008-09), as well as worked at the University of Exeter on the ESF-funded project 'From Climate to Landscape: Imagining the Future' (2009-12), which connects her work on enthusiasm to understanding the local effects of climate change.
She has also secured research funds from the Royal Geographical Society (with IBG), for a study exploring the role, contribution and value of the volunteer wetland bird counters to knowledge of the effects of climate change and subsequent conservation policy. Hilary is also Co-I (with Dr Hannah Neate (UCLan)) on a British Academy small grant researching 'Cultures of Architectural Enthusiasm' in order to investigate how volunteer guides articulate, experience and interpret 20th century architecture.
From April to September 2012, she worked as an AHRC research fellow at the Science Museum on a project gathering the stories and memories of women who worked on the telephone switchboard in Enfield between 1925 and 1960. This also involved an exhibition and project blog.
- Mehring, P. , Geoghegan, H. , Cloke, H. , Clark, J. ORCID: 0000-0002-0412-8824 (2022) Going home for tea and medals: how members of the flood risk management authorities in England construct flooding and flood risk management. Journal of Flood Risk Management , 15 (1). ISSN: 1753-318X | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1111/jfr3.12768
- van Noordwijk, T. , Bishop, I. , Staunton-Lamb, S. , Oldfield, A. , Loiselle, S. , Geoghegan, H. , Ceccaroni, L. (2021) Creating positive environmental impact through citizen science. In: Vohland, K. , Land-Zandstra, A. , Ceccaroni, L. , Lemmens, R. , Perelló, J. , Ponti, M. , Samson, R. , Wagenknecht, K. , (eds.) The Science of Citizen Science. Springer , Cham. pp. 373-395. ISBN: 9783030582777 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-58278-4_19
- O'Flynn, T. , Geoghegan, H. , Dyke, A. , De Bruin, A. (2021) Attending to nature: understanding care and caring relations in forest management in the UK. Journal of Rural Studies , 86 pp. 226-235. ISSN: 0743-0167 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jrurstud.2021.05.022
- Ferrando Jorge, N. , Clark, J. ORCID: 0000-0002-0412-8824 , Cardenas, M. , Geoghegan, H. , Shannon, V. (2021) Measuring soil colour to estimate soil organic carbon using a large-scale citizen science-based approach. Sustainability , 13 (19). ISSN: 2071-1050 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.3390/su131911029
- Geoghegan, H. , Arnall, A. , Feola, G. (2019) Climate and culture: taking stock and moving forward. In: Feola, G. , Geoghegan, H. , Arnall, A. , (eds.) Climate and Culture: Multidisciplinary Perspectives on a Warming World. Cambridge University Press ISBN: 9781108422505
- Feola, G. , Geoghegan, H. , Arnall, A. , eds. (2019) Climate and Culture: Multidisciplinary Perspectives on a Warming World. Cambridge University Press ISBN: 9781108422505
- Dyke, A. , Geoghegan, H. , de Bruin, A. (2018) Towards a more-than-human approach to tree health. The Human Dimensions of Forest and Tree Health. Palgrave MacMillan , Cham. pp. 445-470. ISBN: 9783319769554 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-76956-1_17
- Mehring, P. , Geoghegan, H. , Cloke, H. , Clark, J. (2018) What is going wrong with community engagement? How flood communities and flood authorities construct engagement and partnership working. Environmental Science & Policy , 89 pp. 109-115. ISSN: 1462-9011 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.envsci.2018.07.009
- Geoghegan, H. , McIlvenna, K. , van der Vaart, M. (2017) Developing local narratives for objects in national collections: lessons learned from the “Number Please? Working with the Enfield Exchange” project. Curator: The Museum Journal , 60 (2). pp. 217-233. ISSN: 2151-6952 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1111/cura.12201
- Everett, G. and Geoghegan, H. (2016) Initiating and continuing participation in citizen science for natural history. BMC Ecology , 16 (S1). ISSN: 1472-6785 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1186/s12898-016-0062-3
- Geoghegan, H. (2016) On comfort and the culture of cultural geography. Area , 48 (3). pp. 378-383. ISSN: 1475-4762 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1111/area.12290
- Craggs, R. , Geoghegan, H. , Neate, H. (2016) Managing enthusiasm: between ‘extremist’ volunteers and ‘rational’ professional practices in architectural conservation. Geoforum , 74 pp. 1-8. ISSN: 0016-7185 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.geoforum.2016.05.004
- Craggs, R. , Geoghegan, H. , Neate, H. (2015) Civic geographies of architectural enthusiasm. ACME: An International E-Journal for Critical Geographies , 14 (2). pp. 367-376. ISSN: 1492-9732
- Geoghegan, H. and Hess, A. (2015) Object-love at the Science Museum: cultural geographies of museum storerooms. Cultural Geographies , 22 (3). pp. 445-465. ISSN: 1474-4740 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1177/1474474014539247
- Geoghegan, H. (2014) A new pattern for historical geography: working with enthusiast communities and public history. Journal of Historical Geography , 46 pp. 105-107. ISSN: 0305-7488 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jhg.2014.07.002
- Geoghegan, H. and Woodyer, T. (2014) Cultural geography and enchantment: the affirmative constitution of geographical research. Journal of Cultural Geography , 31 (2). pp. 218-229. ISSN: 1940-6320 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/08873631.2014.906850
- Craggs, R. , Geoghegan, H. , Keighren, I. , eds. (2013) Collaborative geographies: the politics, practicalities, and promise of working together. Historical Geography Research Group Research Series , 43. Royal Geographical Society ISBN: 9781870074254
- Geoghegan, H. (2013) Emotional geographies of enthusiasm: belonging to the Telecommunications Heritage Group. Area , 45 (1). pp. 40-46. ISSN: 1475-4762 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1475-4762.2012.01128.x
- Woodyer, T. and Geoghegan, H. (2013) (Re)enchanting geography? The nature of being critical and the character of critique in human geography. Progress in Human Geography , 37 (2). pp. 195-214. ISSN: 0309-1325 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0309132512460905
- Craggs, R. , Geoghegan, H. , Neate, H. (2013) Architectural enthusiasm: visiting buildings with The Twentieth Century Society. Environment and Planning D: Society and Space , 31 (5). pp. 879-896. ISSN: 0263-7758 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1068/d14512
- Leyshon, C. and Geoghegan, H. (2012) Anticipatory objects and uncertain imminence: cattle grids, landscape and the presencing of climate change on the Lizard Peninsula, UK. Area , 44 (2). pp. 237-244. ISSN: 1475-4762 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1475-4762.2012.01082.x
- Geoghegan, H. and Leyson, C. (2012) On climate change and cultural geography: farming on the Lizard Peninsula, Cornwall, UK. Climatic Change , 113 (1). pp. 55-66. ISSN: 0165-0009 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10584-012-0417-5
- Leyshon, C. and Geoghegan, H. (2012) Landscape and climate change. In: Howard, P. , Thompson, I. , Waterton, E. , (eds.) The Routledge Companion to Landscape Studies. Routledge International Handbooks Routledge , London. pp. 461-470. ISBN: 9780415684606
- Geoghegan, H. and Leyshon, C. (2012) Shifting Shores: managing landscape challenge and change on the Lizard Peninsula, Cornwall. Landscape Research , 39 (6). pp. 631-646. ISSN: 1469-9710 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/01426397.2012.697137
- Brace, C. and Geoghegan, H. (2011) Human geographies of climate change: landscape, temporality and lay knowledges.. Progress in Human Geography , 35 (3). pp. 284-302. ISSN: 0309-1325 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0309132510376259
- Geoghegan, H. (2010) Museum geography: exploring museums, collections and museum practice in the UK. Geography Compass , 4 (10). pp. 1462-1476. ISSN: 1749-8198 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1749-8198.2010.00391.x
- Geoghegan, H. (2009) "If you can walk down the street and recognise the difference between cast iron and wrought iron, the world is altogether a better place”: being enthusiastic about industrial archaeology. M/C Journal: a journal of media and culture , 12 (2).