Postdoctoral research assistant for the FoodSEqual project
Areas of interest
- Climate and land use change
- Process-based and statistical modelling
- Biodiversity conservation and climate change mitigation
- Smallholder production systems
- Stakeholders and participatory science
Gabriel is a landscape ecologist. His research interest sits at the intersection of environmental science, natural and agricultural systems and aims to understand the processes that influences biodiversity conservation, climate and land use change. Gabriel uses modelling techniques to predict the impact of changes in land use and management practices on the environment.
He is currently a postdoctoral researcher on the FoodSEqual project funded by UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) Strategic Priorities Fund (SPF) and reports to Dr Tom Sizmur. The FoodSEqual project adopts an interdisciplinary approach to learning and sharing knowledge on how to co-produce healthy and sustainable food systems in disadvantaged communities.
He has previously worked as a senior research associate at Lancaster Environment Centre, Lancaster University, where he worked on the IFAD-funded project that aimed to incorporate incentive-based interventions in smallholder production systems; and the BBRSC-funded project that assessed ways of restoring African degraded grasslands through the exploitation of plant diversity.
He has also worked as a scientific officer at African Regional Institute for Geospatial Information Science and Technology (Ile-Ife, Nigeria) and was involved in teaching, several consultant jobs and served as a project manager for the UN International charter space and major disasters.
His PhD thesis assessed the impact of climate and land use change on the distribution of critically endangered plants on Madagascar using a spatially-explicit modelling approach.
Research centres and groupsEnvironmental Science Research Division
- Yesuf, G. ORCID: 0000-0003-0963-2998 , Brown, K. , Walford, N. , Rakotoarisoa, S. , Rufino, M. (2021) Predicting range shifts for critically endangered plants: is habitat connectivity irrelevant or necessary?. Biological Conservation , 256 ISSN: 0006-3207 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.biocon.2021.109033
- Yesuf, G. ORCID: 0000-0003-0963-2998 , Schoneveld, G. ORCID: 0000-0003-1157-8222 , Zijlstra, M. , Hawkins, J. ORCID: 0000-0001-5880-4771 , Kihoro, E. , Vernooij, V. , Rufino, M. ORCID: 0000-0003-4293-3290 (2021) Embedding stakeholders’ priorities into the low-emission development of the East African dairy sector. Environmental Research Letters , 16 (6). ISSN: 1748-9326 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1088/1748-9326/abfe2d
- Rufino, M. , Gachene, C. , Diogo, R. , Hawkins, J. , Onyango, A. , Sanogo, O. , Wanyama, I. , Yesuf, G. ORCID: 0000-0003-0963-2998 , Pelster, D. (2021) Sustainable development of crop-livestock farms in Africa. Frontiers of Agricultural Science and Engineering , 8 (1). pp. 175-181. ISSN: 2095-7505 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.15302/J-FASE-2020362
- Hawkins, J. , Yesuf, G. ORCID: 0000-0003-0963-2998 , Zijlstra, M. , Schoneveld, G. , Rufino, M. (2021) Feeding efficiency gains can increase the greenhouse gas mitigation potential of the Tanzanian dairy sector.. Scientific Reports , 11 ISSN: 2045-2322 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1038/s41598-021-83475-8
- Carvalho, F. ORCID: 0000-0002-6305-5602 , Brown, K. ORCID: 0000-0002-6342-8966 , Gordon, A. ORCID: 0000-0002-1807-4644 , Yesuf, G. ORCID: 0000-0003-0963-2998 , Raherilalao, M. , Raselimanana, A. , Soarimalala, V. ORCID: 0000-0002-2455-2956 , Goodman, S. ORCID: 0000-0001-9318-0570 (2020) Methods for prioritizing protected areas using individual and aggregate rankings. Environmental Conservation , 47 (2). pp. 113-122. ISSN: 1469-4387 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1017/S0376892920000090
- Brandt, P. ORCID: 0000-0003-4167-5437 , Yesuf, G. ORCID: 0000-0003-0963-2998 , Herold, M. ORCID: 0000-0003-0246-6886 , Rufino, M. ORCID: 0000-0003-4293-3290 (2020) Intensification of dairy production can increase the GHG mitigation potential of the land use sector in East Africa. Global Change Biology , 26 (2). pp. 568-585. ISSN: 1365-2486 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1111/gcb.14870
- Brown, K. , Gordon, A. , Carvalho, F. , Yesuf, G. ORCID: 0000-0003-0963-2998 (2019) Madagascar protected area prioritization: a road map for conservation. Les air es pr otégées terr estr es de Madagascar : leur histoir e, description et biote /The terrestrial protected areas of Madagascar: their history, description, and biota.. Association Vahatra pp. 567-584. ISBN: 9782957099702
- Yesuf, G. ORCID: 0000-0003-0963-2998 , Brown, K. , Walford, N. (2019) Assessing regional‐scale variability in deforestation and forest degradation rates in a tropical biodiversity hotspot. Remote Sensing in Ecology and Conservation , 5 (4). pp. 346-359. ISSN: 2056-3485 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1002/rse2.110
- Brown, K. , Farris, Z. , Yesuf, G. ORCID: 0000-0003-0963-2998 , Gerber, B. , Rasambainarivo, F. , Karpanty, S. , Kelly, M. , Razafimahaimodison, J. , Larney, E. , Wright, P. , Johnson, S. (2016) Modeling co-occurrence between toxic prey and naïve predators in an incipient invasion. Biodiversity and Conservation , 25 (13). pp. 2723-2741. ISSN: 0960-3115 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10531-016-1198-3