- Gemzöe, L., Keinänen, M. and Maddrell A. (eds.), (2016) Contemporary Encounters in Gender and Religion. European perspectives, Palgrave Macmillan, London.
- Maddrell, A. Terry A. and Gale T. (eds.) (2015) Sacred Mobilities, Ashgate, Farnham
- Maddrell A., Della Dora V., Scafi A. and Walton H. (2015) Christian pilgrimage, landscape and heritage. Journeying to the sacred, Routledge, London
- Maddrell A. and J. Sidaway (eds.) (2010) Deathscapes. New spaces for death, dying and bereavement, Ashgate, Farnham.
- Anderson E., A. Maddrell, K. McLouglin and E. Vincent (eds.) (2010) Memory, Mourning, Landscape, Rodopi, Amsterdam
- Maddrell A. (2009) Complex Locations: women's geographical work in the UK 1850-1970, Royal Geographical Society - Institute of British Geographers/ Wiley-Blackwell, Chichester.
- Horne S. and A. Maddrell, (2002) Charity Shops. Retailing, consumption and society, Routledge, London.
- Undergraduate and postgraduate teaching and supervision
- SAGES Research Ethics Committee
- Member of SAGES Equality and Diversity committee
Areas of interest
Avril is a social and cultural geographer interested in historical and contemporary issues.
Research interests include:
- emotional-affective geographies
- sacred mobilities
- place, landscape and heritage
- charity shops as socio-cultural spaces.
- Robyn Woronka,‘All characters and events depicted in the film are fictitious; the places are real’. To what extent does Yesterday’s (2019) depiction of Lowestoft, East Suffolk reflect the local community’s perception of their sense of place?
- Dornelles (2020) Gendered geographies of online gaming: a UK/Brazil comparative case study of gendered spatial practices in the MOBA League of Legends.
- Kirkpatrick (2016) Landscape, mourning and remembrance: performance art and practice
- Wigley (2015) Everyday mobilities, place and spiritual practice
- Pardoel (2015) Landscape, place and dwelling: transhumance and processions in Spain
- Cope (2015) Visitor experience of sense of place at the National Trust
- Evans (2014) Terra Incognita: women in the RGS expedition archives (AHRC CDA)
- Ruston (2012) Discourses of authenticity and Travellers' rights to accommodation
Avril welcomes enquiries from prospective PhD students working in her field.
Research centres and groupsHuman Geography Research Cluster
2019-22 Humanities in European Research Area (HERA), Project Leader: Cemeteries and Crematoria as public spaces of belonging in Europe: a study of migrant and minority cultural inclusion, exclusion and integration (CeMi) with an interdisciplinary team of 11 colleagues from 6 EU countries
Recent research projects:
- 2017–18 Deathscapes and Diversity in multicultural England and Wales. Making space for established minorities' and migrants' bodily remains and associated ritual and remembrance, with Yasminah Beebeejaun (UCL), Katie McClymont (UWE) (PI, AHRC-ESRC)
- 2015–16 'Creating a virtual pilgrimage trail in the Isle of Man: faithscape, landscape and heritage' (PI, AHRC Follow on funding: AH/N00289X/1)
- 2015–16 Economic Migrants in Bristol, (PI, Research Consultancy Project, Bristol City Council)
- 2012 Higher Education Academy, Gender and Career Experience in Geography (with RGS-IBG WGSG)
- 2010–11, Landscape aesthetics, meaning and experience in Christian pilgrimage, (PI, with Veronica della Dora (Geography, Bristol); Alessandro Scafi, (Warburg Inst., London); Heather Walton (Theology, Glasgow) AHRC-ESRC : HOO9868/1)
- Gender, Place and Culture
- Social and Cultural Geography
- Beebeejaun, Y. ORCID: 0000-0003-4744-0751 , McClymont, K. , Maddrell, A. , Mathijssen, B. , McNally, D. (2021) Death in the peripheries: planning for minority ethnic groups beyond “the City”. Journal of Planning Education and Research pp 0. ISSN: 1552-6577 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0739456x211043275
- Maddrell, A. (2021) Gender and performance in the context of religious and spiritual tourism: pilgrimage and sacred mobilities. In: Olsen, D. and Timothy, D. , (eds.) The Routledge Handbook of Religious and Spiritual Tourism. Routledge ISBN: 9780367191955
- Nordh, H. ORCID: 0000-0003-3668-008X , House, D. , Westendorp, M. , Maddrell, A. , Wingren, C. , Kmec, S. ORCID: 0000-0002-3980-5063 , McClymont, K. , Jedan, C. , Priya Uteng, T. , Beebeejaun, Y. , Venbrux, E. ORCID: 0000-0002-8817-0092 (2021) Rules, norms and practices - a comparative study exploring disposal practices and facilities in Northern Europe.. Omega - Journal of Death and Dying pp 0. ISSN: 0030-2228 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1177/00302228211042138
- Mathijssen, B. , McNally, D. , Dogra, S. , Maddrell, A. , Beebeejaun, Y. , McClymont, K. (2021) Diverse teams researching diversity: negotiating identity, place and embodiment in qualitative research. Qualitative Research ISSN: 1468-7941 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1177/14687941211006004
- Maddrell, A. , McNally, D. , Beebeejaun, Y. , McClymont, K. , Mathijssen, B. (2021) Intersections of (infra)structural violence and cultural inclusion: the geopolitics of minority cemeteries and crematoria provision. Transactions of the Institute of British Geographers ISSN: 0020-2754 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1111/tran.12437
- Ho, E. and Maddrell, A. (2020) Intolerable intersectional burdens: a COVID-19 research agenda for social and cultural geographies. Social and Cultural Geography , 22 (1). ISSN: 1470-1197 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/14649365.2020.1837215
- Maddrell, A. (2020) Bereavement, grief and consolation: emotional-affective geographies of loss during COVID-19. Dialogues in Human Geography , 10 (2). pp. 110-117. ISSN: 2043-8214 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1177/2043820620934947
- Larsen, S. , Lobo, M. , Maddrell, A. (2020) Refreshing methods: reflections and provocations. Social & Cultural Geography , 21 (9). pp. 1328-1337. ISSN: 1470-1197 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/14649365.2019.1697461
- Maddrell, A. (2020) Deathscapes. International Encyclopedia of Human Geography. , 3. Elsevier pp. 167-172. | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-08-102295-5.10170-2
- Maddrell, A. (2020) Smart gendered mobilities and lessons for gendered smart mobilities: economic migrants in Bristol, UK. In: Uteng, T. , Christensen, H. , Levin, L. , (eds.) Gendering Smart Mobilities. Routledge ISBN: 9780429466601 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.4324/9780429466601
- Maddrell, A. and Wigley, E. (2019) Teaching challenging material: emotional geographies and geographies of death. In: Walkington, H. , Hill, J. , Dyer, S. , (eds.) Handbook for Teaching and Learning in Geography. Edward Elgar pp. 241-255. ISBN: 9781788116480 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.4337/9781788116497.00027
- Maddrell, A. (2019) Mapping the visible and invisible topgraphies of place and landscape through sacred mobilities. In: Counted, V. and Watts, F. , (eds.) The Psychology of Religion and Place: Emerging Perspectives. Palgrave Macmillan , London. pp. 131-144. ISBN: 9783030288488 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-28848-8_7
- Evans, S. and Maddrell, A. (2019) Feminist geography in the UK: the dialectics of women-gender-feminism-intersectionality and praxis. Gender, Place & Culture , 26 (7-9). pp. 1304-1313. ISSN: 1360-0524 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/0966369X.2019.1567475
- Maddrell, A. (2019) Reappraising David Livingstone's The Geographical Tradition from complex locations: more‐than‐contextual historiographies. Transactions of the Institute of British Geographers , 44 (3). pp. 450-453. ISSN: 1475-5661 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1111/tran.12297
- Maddrell, A. , Thomas, N. , Wyse, S. (2019) Glass ceilings and stone floors: an intersectional approach to challenges UK geographers face across the career lifecycle. Geografiska Annaler: Series B Human Geography , 101 (1). pp. 7-20. ISSN: 1468-0467 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/04353684.2018.1555670
- Maddrell, A. , Beebeejaun, Y. , McClymont, K. , McNally, D. , Mathijssen, B. , Dogra, S. (2018) Deathscapes and diversity in England and Wales: setting an agenda. Revista d'Etnologia de Catalunya , 43 pp. 38-53.
- Jedan, C. , Maddrell, A. , Venbrux, E. , eds. (2018) Consolationscapes in the face of loss: grief and consolation in space and time. Consolationscapes in the face of loss. Grief and consolation in space and time. Routledge pp 206. ISBN: 9780815358794
- Maddrell, A. (2018) Bittersweet: mapping grief and consolation through the lens of deceased organ donation. In: Jedan, C. , Maddrell, A. , Venbrux, E. , (eds.) Consolationscapes in the Face of Loss: Grief and Consolation in Space and Time. Routledge , London. ISBN: 9780815358794
- Bell, S. , Foley, R. , Houghton, F. , Maddrell, A. , Williams, A. (2018) From therapeutic landscapes to healthy spaces, places and practices: a scoping review. Social Science & Medicine , 196 pp. 123-130. ISSN: 0277-9536 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2017.11.035
- Moss, P. and Maddrell, A. (2017) Emergent and divergent spaces in the Women’s March: the challenges of intersectionality and inclusion. Gender, Place and Culture , 24 (5). pp. 613-620. ISSN: 1360-0524 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/0966369X.2017.1351509
- Gemzöe, L. , Keinänen, M. , Maddrell, A. (2016) Contemporary encounters in gender and religion: European perspectives. Palgrave , London. ISBN: 9783319425986 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-42598-6
- Maddrell, A. (2016) Carceral transitions experienced through Community Service placements in charity shops. In: Turner, J. and Peters, K. , (eds.) Carceral Mobilities: Interrogating Movement in Incarceration. Routledge Studies in Human Geography Routledge , London. pp. 221-235. ISBN: 9781138184046
- Maddrell, A. , Ricci, M. , Wigley, E. , Casado-Diaz, M. (2016) Review of recent Bristol economic migrants: needs and strategies. UWE , Bristol.
- Maddrell, A. (2016) Gendered spaces and practice,relationality, emotion and affect at the Marian shrine of Ta Pinu, Gozo, Malta. In: Gemzöe, L. , Keinänen, M. , Maddrell, A. , (eds.) Contemporary Encounters in Gender and Religion. Palgrave , London. pp. 219-240. ISBN: 9783319425979 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-42598-6_1
- Maddrell, A. , Strauss, K. , Thomas, N. , Wyse, S. (2016) Mind the gap: gender disparities still to be addressed in UK Higher Education geography. Area , 48 (1). pp. 48-56. ISSN: 1475-4762 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1111/area.12223
- Maddrell, A. and Scriven, R. (2016) Celtic pilgrimage, past and present: from historical geography to contemporary embodied practices. Social and Cultural Geography , 17 (2). pp. 300-321. ISSN: 1470-1197 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/14649365.2015.1066840
- Maddrell, A. (2016) Mapping grief: a conceptual framework for understanding the spatial dimensions of bereavement, mourning and remembrance. Social and Cultural Geography , 17 (2). pp. 166-188. ISSN: 1470-1197 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/14649365.2015.1075579
- Maddrell, A. , Terry, A. , Gale, T. (2015) Sacred mobilities: journeys of belief and belonging. Routledge/ Ashgate pp 242. ISBN: 9781472420077
- Maddrell, A. , della Dora, V. , Scafi, A. , Walton, H. (2015) Christian pilgrimage, landscape and heritage: journeying to the sacred. Routledge pp 204. ISBN: 9780415843980
- Terry, A. , Maddrell, A. , Gale, T. , Arlidge, S. (2015) Spectators’ negotiations of risk, masculinity and performative mobilities at the TT Races. Mobilities , 10 (4). pp. 628-648. ISSN: 17450101 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/17450101.2014.895175
- Maddrell, A. (2015) To read or not to read? The politics of overlooking gender in the geographical canon. Journal of Historical Geography , 49 pp. 31-38. ISSN: 0305-7488 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jhg.2015.04.013
- Maddrell, A. (2011) ‘Praying the Keeills’: rhythm, meaning and experience on pilgrimage journeys in the Isle of Man. Landabrefid , 25 pp. 15-29. ISSN: 1027–4049
- Anderson, E. , Maddrell, A. , McLoughlin, K. , Vincent, A. , eds. (2010) Memory, mourning, landscape. Rodopi , Amsterdam. pp 201. ISBN: 9789042030862
- Maddrell, A. and Sidaway, J. , eds. (2010) Deathscapes: spaces for death, dying, mourning and remembrance. Routledge pp 328. ISBN: 9780754679752
- Maddrell, A. (2009) Complex locations: women's geographical work in the UK 1850-1970. Wiley/RGS-IBG ISBN: 9781405145565 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1002/9781444310702