- Member of the Institute of Food Science and Technology's Sensory Science Group (SSG)
- Member of the BSI AW/012 Sensory Analysis Committee.
- Programme Director for MSc Food Science & MSc Food Technology: Quality Assurance
- Admissions Tutor (Postgraduate Taught)
- Sensory Science Centre
- Coordinator of Summer School for Year 12 students.
Building locationHarry Nursten
Areas of interest
Stella's research sits at the cross-section of flavour and sensory analysis. She uses a number of analytical techniques including state-of-the-art gas chromatography-mass spectrometry (GC-MS) and olfactometry (GC-O), capillary electrophoresis, and liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry (LC-MS) – facilities based at the Flavour Centre – to characterise the quality of the products and trained consumer panels in order to understand how the sensorial properties of the foods are perceived by humans (facilities based at the Sensory Science Centre).
Her main topics of focus are:
- flavour profile of fresh produce and other products
- sensory profile of various sources of alternative proteins
- consumers’ responses to sustainable packaging and innovative technologies such as 3D food printing
- development of products for targeted groups of people (i.e. older adults, cancer patients).
2021-2024: FoodBioSystems DTP Case PhD with Arla Foods and University of Surrey. Optimising the sensorial and nutritional value of plant based milk alternatives. Roisin McCarron.
2021-2022: PhD student funded by Commonwealth Split-site scholarship. Investigation of the effect of cultivar and pre-treatments on the behaviour of sweet potato puree under 3D printing conditions. Adedoyin Agubiande.
2021: European Institute of Innovation and Technology (EIT Food) – research grant in collaboration with Colruyt, Syntegon, Fraunhofer, Strauss "Paper packaging for SENSitivE foods – Pack4Sense", Dr Bola Oloyede.
2021: European Institute of Innovation and Technology (EIT Food) – Proof of Concept grant in collaboration with Aarhus University, Maspex, VTT and Bioazul on "An all you need to know online guide for sustainable disposal of food packaging – InFormPack", Dr Bola Oloyede.
2020-2021: RETF Fund (University of Reading) – "Impact of biodiverse pasture on the nutritional quality, eating quality and peroxidisability index of lamb meat", led by Dr Kirsty Kliem.
2020: European Institute of Innovation and Technology (EIT Food) – research grant in collaboration with AZTI, University of Warsaw, Maspex, Natural Machines on "New food solutions for cancer patients – Oncofood", Dr Bola Oloyede.
2020: European Institute of Innovation and Technology (EIT Food) – research grant in collaboration with DSM, Roquette, and Nestle and led by Prof Ian Givens – "Our Nutritious Protein", Dr Nur Liana Binti Sulaiman.
2020: European Institute of Innovation and Technology (EIT Food) – research grant in collaboration with Matis, University of Hohenheim, ABP Food Group and led by Prof Chris Reynolds on "Seaweed supplementation to mitigate methane emmissions by cattle – SeaCH4NGE".
2019: European Institute of Innovation and Technology (EIT Food) – research grant in collaboration with Bosch Packaging, Fraunhofer, Strauss, Colruyt on "Innovative paper-based packaging technology and pack styles for food products – InPAPER", Dr Bola Oloyede.
2018: SCFP Strategic Fund (University of Reading) with Dr James Hall, Dr Sarah Allman, Dr Livia Bartok-Partay, Dr Stephanie Bull, Dr Maria-Jose Oruna-Concha and Miss Charlotte Harman on "Using virtual reality to enhance recruitment across SCFP".
2017: Food Theme Pump Priming Award (University of Reading) with Dr Maria Jose Oruna-Concha, Prof Lisa Methven, Prof Margot Gosney and Mrs Carol Fairfield on "Impact of 3D Food Printing on Consumers – Organisation of Workshop".
- PhD in Flavour Chemistry, University of Reading, 2011
- MSc in Food Technology – Quality Assurance, University of Reading, 2008
- Diploma in Chemical Engineering, National Technical University of Athens, 2005.
- Fellow of the Instiute of Food Science and Technology (FIFST).
- Norton, V. , Lignou, S. ORCID: 0000-0001-6971-2258 , Faka, M. , Rodriguez-Garcia, J. ORCID: 0000-0002-4986-3144 , Methven, L. ORCID: 0000-0001-6940-7579 (2021) Investigating methods to mitigate whey protein derived mouthdrying. Foods , 10 (9). pp 0. ISSN: 2304-8158 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/foods10092066
- Turner, L. , Dawda, D. , Wagstaff, C. ORCID: 0000-0001-9400-8641 , Gawthrop, F. , Lignou, S. ORCID: 0000-0001-6971-2258 (2021) Influence of harvest maturity on the aroma quality of two celery (Apium graveolens) genotypes. Food Chemistry , 365 ISSN: 0308-8146 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2021.130515
- Turner, L. , Lignou, S. ORCID: 0000-0001-6971-2258 , Gawthrop, F. , Wagstaff, C. ORCID: 0000-0001-9400-8641 (2021) Investigating the relationship of genotype and climate conditions on the volatile composition and sensory profile of celery (apium graveolens). Foods , 10 (6). ISSN: 2304-8158 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/foods10061335
- Bell, L. ORCID: 0000-0003-2895-2030 , Kitsopanou, E. , Oloyede, O. , Lignou, S. ORCID: 0000-0001-6971-2258 (2021) Important odorants of four Brassicaceae species, and discrepancies between glucosinolate profiles and observed hydrolysis products. Foods , 10 (5). ISSN: 2304-8158 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/foods10051055
- Oloyede, O. ORCID: 0000-0001-6392-0937 and Lignou, S. ORCID: 0000-0001-6971-2258 (2021) Sustainable paper-based packaging: a consumer’s perspective. Foods , 10 (5). ISSN: 2304-8158 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/foods10051035
- Lignou, S. ORCID: 0000-0001-6971-2258 and Oloyede, O. (2021) Consumer acceptability and sensory profile of sustainable paper-based packaging. Foods , 10 (5). ISSN: 2304-8158 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/foods10050990
- Norton, V. , Lignou, S. , Methven, L. ORCID: 0000-0001-6940-7579 (2021) Influence of age and individual differences on mouthfeel perception of whey protein-fortified products: a review. Foods , 10 (2). ISSN: 2304-8158 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/foods10020433
- Norton, V. , Lignou, S. , Methven, L. ORCID: 0000-0001-6940-7579 (2021) Whey protein derived mouthdrying found to relate directly to retention post consumption but not to induced differences in salivary flow rate. Foods , 10 (3). ISSN: 2304-8158 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/foods10030587
- Turner, L. , Lignou, S. , Gawthrop, F. , Wagstaff, C. (2021) Investigating the factors that influence the aroma profile of Apium graveolens: a review. Food Chemistry , 345 ISSN: 0308-8146 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2020.128673
- Bell, L. ORCID: 0000-0003-2895-2030 , Lignou, S. , Wagstaff, C. (2020) High glucosinolate content in rocket leaves (Diplotaxis tenuifolia and Eruca sativa) after multiple harvests is associated with increased bitterness, pungency, and reduced consumer liking. Foods ISSN: 2304-8158 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/foods9121799
- Diana Mohd Nor, N. , Lignou, S. , Bell, L. ORCID: 0000-0003-2895-2030 , Houston-Price, C. ORCID: 0000-0001-6368-142X , Harvey, K. , Methven, L. (2020) The relationship between glucosinolates and the sensory characteristics of steamed-pureed turnip (Brassica rapa subsp. rapa). Foods , 9 (11). ISSN: 2304-8158 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/foods9111719
- Norton, V. , Lignou, S. , Bull, S. , Gosney, M. , Methven, L. (2020) Consistent effects of whey protein fortification on consumer perception and liking of solid food matrices (cakes and biscuits) regardless of age and saliva flow. Foods , 9 (9). ISSN: 2304-8158 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/foods9091328
- Norton, V. , Lignou, S. , Bull, S. , Gosney, M. , Methven, L. (2020) An investigation of the influence of age and saliva flow on the oral retention of whey protein and its potential effect on the perception and acceptance of whey protein beverages. Nutrients , 12 (9). ISSN: 2072-6643 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/nu12092506
- Hunter, P. , Pink, D. , Hand, P. , Heath, J. , Barker, G. , Hambidge, A. , Lignou, S. , Oruna-Concha, M. , Radha, B. , Wagstaff, C. , Monaghan, J. (2019) A genetic approach to improving postharvest quality in lettuce. Acta Horticulturae (1256). pp. 295-302. ISSN: 0567-7572 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.17660/ActaHortic.2019.1256.41
- Chua, X. , Uwiduhaye, E. , Petroula, T. , Lignou, S. , Griffiths, H. , Baines, D. , Parker, J. (2019) Changes in aroma and sensory profile of food ingredients smoked in the presence of a zeolite filter. In: Guthrie, B. , Beauchamp, J. , Buettner, A. , (eds.) Sex, Smoke and Spirits: The Role of Chemistry. , 1321. ACS Symposium Series pp. 67-79. | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/bk-2019-1321.ch006
- Yahya, H. , Lignou, S. , Wagstaff, C. , Bell, L. (2019) Changes in bacterial loads, gas composition, volatile organic compounds, and glucosinolates of fresh bagged Ready-To-Eat rocket under different shelf life treatment scenarios. Postharvest Biology and Technology , 148 pp. 107-119. ISSN: 9255214 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.postharvbio.2018.10.021
- Oruna-Concha, M. ORCID: 0000-0001-7916-1592 , Lignou, S. , Feeny, E. , Beegan, K. , Owen, K. , Harbourne, N. (2018) Investigating the phytochemical, flavour and sensory at-tributes of mature and microgreen coriander (Coriandrum sativum).. | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.3217/978-3-85125-593-5
- Bell, L. , Oloyede, O. , Lignou, S. , Wagstaff, C. , Methven, L. (2018) Taste and flavour perceptions of glucosinolates, isothiocyanates, and related compounds. Molecular Nutrition & Food Research , 62 (18). ISSN: 1613-4125 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/mnfr.201700990
- Parker, J. ORCID: 0000-0003-4121-5481 , Lignou, S. , Shankland, K. , Kurwie, P. , Griffiths, H. , Baines, D. (2018) Development of a technology for reducing polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in smoked food and smoked ingredients. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry , 66 (10). pp. 2449-2458. ISSN: 0021-8561 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acs.jafc.6b05399
- Hunter, P. , Atkinson, L. , Vickers, L. , Lignou, S. , Oruna-Concha, M. , Pink, D. , Hand, P. , Barker, G. , Wagstaff, C. , Monaghan, J. (2017) Oxidative discolouration in whole-head and cut lettuce: biochemical and environmental influences on a complex phenotype and potential breeding strategies to improve shelf-life. Euphytica , 213 (8). ISSN: 0014-2336 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10681-017-1964-7
- Tzia, C. , Giannou, V. , Lignou, S. , Lebesi, D. (2015) Sensory evaluation of foods. In: Varzakas, T. and Tzia, C. , (eds.) Handbook of Food Processing: Food Safety, Quality, and Manufacturing Processes. CRC Press pp. 41-71. ISBN: 9781498721776
- Lignou, S. and Parker, J. (2015) Flavor production. In: Varzakas, T. and Tzia, C. , (eds.) Handbook of Food Processing: Food Safety, Quality, and Manufacturing Processes . CRC Press pp. 615-643. ISBN: 9781498721776 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1201/b19398-20
- Lignou, S. , Parker, J. , Hurr, B. , Garcia, P. , Baxter, C. , Mottram, D. (2015) Quality characteristics of six Charentais cantaloupe genotypes during storage. Flavour Science. flav pp. 503-506.
- Lignou, S. , Parker, J. , Baxter, C. , Mottram, D. (2014) Sensory and instrumental analysis of medium and long shelf-life Charentais cantaloupe melons (Cucumis melo L.) harvested at different maturities. Food Chemistry , 148 pp. 218-229. ISSN: 0308-8146 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2013.10.045
- Lignou, S. , Parker, J. , Baxter, C. , Mottram, D. (2011) Effect of harvest maturity and variety on chemical and sensory characteristics of charentais cantaloupe melons. In: Hofmann, T. , Meyerhof, W. , Schieberle, P. , (eds.) Advances and Challenges in Flavor Chemistry & Biology. Deutsche Forschungsanstalt für Lebensmittelchemie , Freising, Germany. pp. 370-373. ISBN: 9783938896389