- Teaching in the department and international partner
- Managing international links and recruiting international students
- Supervising PhD, MSc and BSc students.
Building locationHarry Nursten
Areas of interest
Current interests include:
- developing healthy meat products (salt substitution and fat replacement)
- meat processing technology
- sensory sensitivity and brain function.
- PhD Biosystems Engineering, University College Dublin, Ireland
- MSc Food Science, Nanjing Agricultural University, P.R. China
- BSc Food Science, Hebei Agricultural University, P.R.China.
Du, C.J, Cheng, Q.F. & D-W Sun (2012). Computer vision in the bakery industry (Chapter 16) in Computer Vision Technology in the Food and Beverage Industries, edited by Dawen Sun, Woodhead Publishing Limited, Cambridge, UK.
Cheng, Q.F. & Sun, D.-W. (2008). Important factors affecting the water holding capacity of red meat products: a review of recent research advances. Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition, 48(2),137-159.
Cheng, Q.F. & Sun, D.-W. (2007). Effects of combined water cooking-vacuum cooling with water on processing time, mass loss and quality of large pork ham. Journal of Food Process Engineering, 30(1), 51-73.
Cheng, Q.F.& Sun, D.-W. (2007). Effect of cooking bag and netting packaging on the quality of pork ham during water cooking. Meat Science, 75(2), 243-247.
Cheng, Q.F. & Sun, D.-W. (2006). Feasibility assessment of vacuum cooling of cooked pork ham with water as compared with that without water and with air blast cooling. International Journal of Food Science and Technology, 41 (8) 938-945.
Cheng, Q.F. & Sun, D.-W. (2005). Improving the quality of pork ham by pulsed vacuum cooling in water. Journal of Food Process Engineering, 29(2), 119-133.
Cheng, Q.F. & Sun, D.-W. (2005). Application of PLSR in correlating physical and chemical properties of pork ham with different cooling methods. Meat Science, 70(4), 691-698.
Cheng, Q.F., Sun, D.-W. & Scannell, A.G.M. (2005). Feasibility of water cooking for pork ham processing as compared with traditional dry and wet air cooking methods. Journal of Food Engineering, 67(4), 427-433.
- Liu, Y. , Huang, Y. , Zhang, L. , Li, S. , Cheng, Q. , Zhu, B. , Dong, X. ORCID: 0000-0002-5675-8932 (2023) Effects of pork fat and linseed oil as additives on gel quality of fish cake. Journal of Texture Studies pp 0. ISSN: 1745-4603 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1111/jtxs.12759
- Wang, S. , Dermiki, M. , Methven, L. , Kennedy, O. , Cheng, Q. (2022) Interactions of umami with the four other basic tastes in equi-intense aqueous solutions. Food Quality and Preference , 98 ISSN: 0950-3293 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.foodqual.2021.104503
- Wang, Y. , Cao, J. , Sun, Y. , Xing, Y. , Pang, X. , Chen, X. , Fei, P. , Li, Z. , Cheng, Q. , Kang, H. , Hu, X. (2021) Development and validation of a sensitive enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay for clonidine hydrochloride in pig urine and pork samples. Food and Agricultural Immunology , 32 (1). pp. 851-862. ISSN: 1465-3443 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/09540105.2021.2001439
- Huang, Y. , Liu, Y. , Jin, Z. , Cheng, Q. , Qian, M. , Zhu, B. , Dong, X. (2021) Sensory evaluation of fresh/frozen mackerel products: a review. Comprehensive Reviews in Food Science and Food Safety ISSN: 1541-4337 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1111/1541-4337.12776
- Fan, X. , Lin, X. , Wu, C. , Zhang, N. , Cheng, Q. , Qi, H. , Konno, K. , Dong, X. (2021) Estimating freshness of ice storage rainbow trout using bioelectrical impedance analysis. Food Science & Nutrition , 9 (1). pp. 154-163. ISSN: 2048-7177 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1002/fsn3.1974
- Akgün, B. , Genc, S. , Cheng, Q. , Isik, Ö. (2019) Impacts of sodium chloride reduction in tomato soup system using potassium chloride and amino acids. Czech Journal of Food Sciences , 37 (2). pp. 93-98. | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.17221/140/2018-CJFS
- Lu, F. , Kuhnle, G. , Cheng, Q. (2018) The effect of common spices and meat type on the formation of heterocyclic amines and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in deep-fried meatballs. Food Control , 92 pp. 399-411. ISSN: 0956-7135 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2018.05.018
- Lu, F. , Kuhnle, G. , Cheng, Q. (2017) Vegetable oil as fat replacer inhibits formation of heterocyclic amines and 2 polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in reduced fat pork patties. Food Control , 81 pp. 113-125. ISSN: 0956-7135 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2017.05.043
- Lu, F. , Kuhnle, G. , Cheng, Q. (2017) Heterocyclic amines and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in commercial ready-to-eat meat products on UK market. Food Control , 73 (B). pp. 306-315. ISSN: 0956-7135 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2016.08.021
- Zhang, Y. , Cheng, Q. , Yao, Y. , Guo, X. , Wang, R. , Peng, Z. (2014) A preliminary study: saltiness and sodium content of aqueous extracts from plants and marine animal shells. European Food Research and Technology , 238 (4). pp. 565-571. ISSN: 1438-2377 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00217-013-2136-1