- Cogent Member, 2012-present
- Semta Member, 2012-present
- Biopharma Skills Consortium Chair, 2012-present
- Nutrition Bulletin Editorial Board, 2012-present
- Reading UTC steering group member, 2010-present
- Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) Fruit and Vegetable task force and consumption group member, 2010
- Scientific committee member for the EU funded VIVA project – vegetables and weaning, 2009-present
- UK Food Standards Agency Food Composition Expert User group member, 2009-present
- Monthly BBC Radio Berkshire Food and Nutrition slot, 2009-present
- Science and Technology (SET) Awards Nutrition and Health Panel Judge, 2009, 2010
- Institute of Food Science and TEchnology (IFST) membership committee, 2007-2010
- IFST Communication task force member, 2008
- Editorial board member, Complete Nutrition, 2006-2009
- Editorial board member, British Journal of Nutrition, 2006-2010
- Elected to the UK Nutrition Society Council, 2006-2009
- UK Nutrition Society academic liaison officer, 2005-2010.
- Faculty Director of Teaching and Learning for Science
- University of Reading Senate, 2010-present
- Joint Chair, Joint Faculty of Science & Life Sciences Board for Teaching & Learning, 2010-present
- Faculty of Science Management Board member, 2010-present
- Joint Faculty of Sciences Programme Directors committee, 2005-2010.
Representing Faculty of Science on the following committees
- University Board for Teaching and Learning (UBTL)
- Committee on Strategy for Student Recruitment and Academic Provision
- Sub-committee on Management Information and Monitoring
- Sub-committee on Development and Enhancement of Learning and Teaching
- Sub-committee on Student Recruitment and Marketing.
- Sub-committee on Student Support
- Faculty of Science Special Cases Sub-committee
- Faculty of Science Examinations meeting
- Alternate chair for Sub-committee on Student Development
- Periodic review Chair, International Capital Market Association (ICMA), 2010.
- Institute for Cardiovascular & Metabolic Research, 2009-present
- Periodic review panel member, Agriculture, Policy and Development, 2010.
Building locationHarry Nursten
Areas of interest
I have secured funds for educational projects focused on careers and employability and am leading the Universities Science Skills project. I am co-investigator BBSRC Advanced training partnership bid, which will allow Food and Nutritional Sciences to develop courses at all levels for the food industry.
My nutrition research focuses on food choice and public health nutrition. My research strategy is to use a multidisciplinary approach to understand the factors driving food choice in certain groups, with the aim of devising meaningful, practical and achievable interventions to address current nutritional problems in specific groups. This multi-disciplinary approach encompasses qualitative and quantitative psychological research methods, measures of cognitive function, genetic profiling, sensory science and econometrics. This has led to my involvement in £1.9m worth of research funding from external commercial contracts, research councils, charities and internal University of Reading (UoR) bids, of which £530,500 (PI) and £1.377m (Co-I).
- Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice (PGCAP), University of Reading, 2007
- PhD, University of Ulster, 2004
- MSc Food Science, Queen's University Belfast, 1995
- State Registration in Dietetics (SRD), Council of Professions Supplementary to Medicine, 1993
- BSc (Hons) Human Nutrition with Dietetics, University of Ulster, 1993.
Rajashekar, V., Cunliffe, A., Kennedy, O., and F. Hucklebridge (2007). Effect of Epigallocatechingallate on Energy Expenditure and Metabolic Indices of Blood Glucose Regulation. Malta Polyphenol Society Conference, Nov 2007, A.
Rabee, S., Collings, P., Copp., J. and O.B. Kennedy (2006). Evaluation of health campaigns in schools; Food Awareness Week, East Berkshire. Proceedings of the Nutrition Society, A.
Law, C., Gosney, M.A and O.B. Kennedy (2006). Age related changes in taste and effect on food supplement palatability. Proceedings of the Nutrition Society, A.
Wade, S. and O.B. Kennedy (2006) Do differences exist between gym/non-gym users nutritional knowledge and use of labels? Proceedings of the Nutrition Society, 61A.
Kennedy, O.B., Stewart-Knox, B.J., Mitchell P.C. and D.I. Thurnham (2006). Vitamin E supplementation and mechanical texture measurement of cooked poultry meat. Proceedings of the Nutrition Society, 85A.
- Collins, S. , Gibson, G. , Stainton, G. , Bertocco, A. , Kennedy, O. ORCID: 0000-0003-3885-4872 , Walton, G. ORCID: 0000-0001-5426-5635 , Commane, D. (2023) Chronic consumption of a blend of inulin and arabinoxylan reduces energy intake in an ad libitum meal but does not influence perceptions of appetite and satiety: a randomised control‑controlled crossover trial. European Journal of Nutrition , 62 pp. 2205-2215. ISSN: 1436-6215 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00394-023-03136-6
- Lamport, D. ORCID: 0000-0002-4592-0439 , Wu, S. , Drever-Heaps, J. , Hugueniot, O. , Jones, D. , Kennedy, O. , Williams, C. ORCID: 0000-0003-4452-671X , Butler, L. (2021) Can public health interventions change immediate and long-term dietary behaviours? Encouraging evidence from a pilot study of the U.K. Change4Life Sugar Swaps campaign. Nutrients , 14 (1). ISSN: 2072-6643 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.3390/nu14010068
- Hobden, M. , Commane, D. ORCID: 0000-0002-0154-8540 , Guérin-Deremaux, L. , Wils, D. , Thabuis, C. , Martin-Morales, A. , Wolfram, S. , Diaz Lopez, A. , Collins, S. , Morais, I. , Rowland, I. , Gibson, G. , Kennedy, O. (2021) Impact of dietary supplementation with resistant dextrin (NUTRIOSE®) on satiety, glycaemia, and related endpoints, in healthy adults. European Journal of Nutrition , 60 pp. 4635-4643. ISSN: 1436-6215 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00394-021-02618-9
- Collins, S. , Gibson, G. , Kennedy, O. , Walton, G. ORCID: 0000-0001-5426-5635 , Rowland, I. , Commane, D. (2021) Development of a prebiotic blend to influence in vitro fermentation effects, with a focus on propionate, in the gut. FEMS Microbiology Ecology , 97 (8). ISSN: 1574-6941 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1093/femsec/fiab101
- Houston-Price, C. , Owen, L. , Kennedy, O. , Hill, C. (2019) Parents’ experiences of introducing toddlers to fruits and vegetables through repeated exposure, with and without prior visual familiarization to foods: evidence from daily diaries. Food Quality and Preference , 71 pp. 291-300. ISSN: 0950-3293 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.foodqual.2018.08.003
- Albani, V. , Butler, L. , Traill, W. , Kennedy, O. (2018) Understanding fruit and vegetable consumption in children and adolescents: the contributions of affect, self-concept and habit strength. Appetite , 120 pp. 398-408. ISSN: 0195-6663 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.appet.2017.09.018
- Owen, L. , Kennedy, O. , Hill, C. , Houston-Price, C. (2018) Peas, please! Food familiarization though picture books helps parents introduce vegetables into preschoolers' diets. Appetite , 128 pp. 32-43. ISSN: 0195-6663 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.appet.2018.05.140
- Hobden, M. , Guérin-Deremaux, L. , Commane, D. , Rowland, I. , Gibson, G. , Kennedy, O. (2017) A pilot investigation to optimise methods for a future satiety preload study. Pilot and feasibility studies , 3 ISSN: 2055-5784 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1186/s40814-017-0208-x
- Albani Zambon, V. , Butler, L. , Traill, W. , Kennedy, O. (2017) Fruit and vegetable intake: change with age across childhood and adolescence. British Journal of Nutrition , 117 (5). pp. 759-765. ISSN: 0007-1145 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1017/S0007114517000599
- Shen, Y. , Kennedy, O. , Methven, L. (2017) The effect of genotypical and phenotypical variation in taste sensitivity on liking of ice cream and dietary fat intake. Food Quality and Preference , 55 pp. 79-90. ISSN: 0950-3293 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.foodqual.2016.08.010
- Zhou, X. , Shen, Y. , Parker, J. , Kennedy, O. , Methven, L. (2016) Relative effects of sensory modalities and importance of fatty acid sensitivity on fat perception in a real food model. Chemosensory Perception ISSN: 1936-5810 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s12078-016-9211-5
- Shen, Y. , Kennedy, O. , Methven, L. (2016) Exploring the effects of genotypical and phenotypical variations in bitter taste sensitivity on perception, liking and intake of brassica vegetables in the UK. Food Quality and Preference , 50 pp. 71-81. ISSN: 0950-3293 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.foodqual.2016.01.005
- Ampatzoglou, A. , Williams, C. , Atwal, K. , Maidens, C. , Ross, A. , Thielecke, F. , Jonnalagadda, S. , Kennedy, O. , Yaqoob, P. (2016) Effects of increased wholegrain consumption on immune and inflammatory markers in healthy low habitual wholegrain consumers. European Journal of Nutrition , 55 (1). pp. 183-195. ISSN: 1436-6215 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00394-015-0836-y
- Lovegrove, J. , Commane, D. , Jackson, K. , Karani, V. , Kennedy, O. , Kuhnle, G. , Spencer, J. , Wagstaff, C. , Yaqoob, P. (2015) The Hugh Sinclair Unit of Human Nutrition – 20 years of research 1995–2015. Nutrition Bulletin , 40 (4). pp. 303-314. ISSN: 1467-3010 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1111/nbu.12176
- Tsikritzi, R. , Wang, J. , Collins, V. , Allen, V. , Mavrommatis, Y. , Moynihan, P. , Gosney, M. , Kennedy, O. , Methven, L. (2015) The effect of nutrient fortification of sauces on product stability, sensory properties and subsequent liking by older adults. Journal of Food Science , 80 (5). pp. S1100-S1110. ISSN: 0022-1147 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1111/1750-3841.12850
- Hobden, M. , Guérin-Deremaux, L. , Rowland, I. , Gibson, G. , Kennedy, O. (2015) Potential anti-obesogenic properties of non-digestible carbohydrates: specific focus on resistant dextrin. Proceedings of the Nutrition Society , 74 (3). pp. 258-267. ISSN: 0029-6651 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1017/S0029665115000087
- Ampatzoglou, A. , Atwal, K. , Maidens, C. , Williams, C. , Ross, A. , Thielecke, F. , Jonnalagadda, S. , Kennedy, O. , Yaqoob, P. (2015) Increased whole grain consumption does not affect blood biochemistry, body composition or gut microbiology in healthy low habitual whole grain consumers. Journal of Nutrition , 145 (2). pp. 215-221. ISSN: 1541-6100 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.3945/jn.114.202176
- Jin, Y. , Gordon, M. , Alimbetov, D. , Chong, M. , George, T. , Spencer, J. , Kennedy, O. , Tuohy, K. , Minihane, A. , Lovegrove, J. (2014) A novel combined biomarker including plasma carotenoids, vitamin C, and ferric reducing antioxidant power is more strongly associated with fruit and vegetable intake than the individual components. Journal of Nutrition , 144 (11). pp. 1866-1872. ISSN: 1541-6100 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.3945/jn.114.192856
- Beard, N. , Frazier, R. , Jukes, D. , Kennedy, O. , Swinbank, A. , Tranter, R. (2014) Feeding the British public: a centenary review of food and drink manufacturing. Centre for Agricultural Strategy (20). , Reading. pp 91. ISSN: 0141 1330 ISBN: 9780704915220
- Heath, P. , Houston-Price, C. , Kennedy, O. (2014) Let’s look at leeks! Picture books increase toddlers’ willingness to look at, taste and consume unfamiliar vegetables. Frontiers in Psychology , 5 (191). pp. 1-11. ISSN: 1664-1078 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.3389/fpsyg.2014.00191
- Macready, A. ORCID: 0000-0003-0368-9336 , George, T. , Chong, M. , Alimbetov, D. , Jin, Y. , Vidal, A. , Spencer, J. , Kennedy, O. , Tuohy, K. , Minihane, A. , Gordon, M. , Lovegrove, J. (2014) Flavonoid-rich fruits and vegetables improve microvascular reactivity and inflammatory status in men at risk of cardiovascular disease – FLAVURS: a randomized controlled trial. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition , 99 (3). pp. 479-489. ISSN: 1938-3207 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.3945/ajcn.113.074237
- Dermiki, M. , Willway, J. , Sargent, L. , Kidman, J. , Anderson, C. , Kennedy, O. , Gosney, M. , Methven, L. (2013) Preference and consumption of a taste enhanced meat meal by older hospital patients: a pilot study. Nutrition and Aging , 2 (1). pp. 69-75. ISSN: 1879-7725 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.3233/NUA-130028
- Hobden, M. , Martin-Morales, A. , Guerin-Deremaux, L. , Wils, D. , Costabile, A. , Walton, G. , Rowland, I. , Kennedy, O. , Gibson, G. (2013) In Vitro Fermentation of NUTRIOSE® FB06, a wheat dextrin soluble fibre, in a continuous culture human colonic model system. PLoS ONE , 8 (10). | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0077128
- Dermiki, M. , Mounayar, R. , Suwankanit, C. , Scott, J. , Kennedy, O. , Mottram, D. , Gosney, M. , Blumenthal, H. , Methven, L. (2013) Maximising umami taste in meat using natural ingredients: effects on chemistry, sensory perception and hedonic liking in young and old consumers. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture , 93 (13). pp. 3312-3321. ISSN: 0022-5142 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.6177
- Chong, M. , George, T. , Alimbetov, D. , Jin, Y. , Weech, M. , Macready, A. , Spencer, J. , Kennedy, O. , Minihane, A. , Gordon, M. , Lovegrove, J. (2013) Impact of the quantity and flavonoid content of fruits and vegetables on markers of intake in adults with an increased risk of cardiovascular disease: the FLAVURS Trial. European Journal of Nutrition , 52 (1). pp. 361-378. ISSN: 1436-6215 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00394-012-0343-3
- Owen, L. , Houston-Price, C. , Kennedy, O. (2012) Picture books about food increase toddlers’ liking and consumption of disliked vegetables.
- Nocella, G. and Kennedy, O. (2012) Food health claims – What consumers understand. Food Policy , 37 (5). pp. 571-580. ISSN: 0306-9192 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.foodpol.2012.06.001
- Macready, A. , Butler, L. , Kennedy, O. , George, T. , Chong, M. , Lovegrove, J. (2011) Carotenoids but not flavonoids are associated with improvements in spatial working memory in younger adults in a flavonoid-rich v. -poor fruit and vegetable intervention study.
- Heath, P. , Houston-Price, C. , Kennedy, O. (2011) Increasing food familiarity without the tears. A role for visual exposure?. Appetite , 57 (3). pp. 832-838. ISSN: 0195-6663 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.appet.2011.05.315
- Eggers, T. and Kennedy, O. (2010) Nutritionists: is there a need for statutory registration in the UK?. Nutrition Bulletin , 35 (4). pp. 332-336. ISSN: 1471-9827 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-3010.2010.01865.x
- Macready, A. , Butler, L. , Kennedy, O. , Ellis, J. , Williams, C. , Spencer, J. (2010) Cognitive tests used in chronic adult human randomised controlled trial micronutrient and phytochemical intervention studies. Nutrition Research Reviews , 23 (2). pp. 200-229. ISSN: 0954-4224 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1017/S0954422410000119
- Methven, L. , Bushell, . , Gray, . , Gosney, M. , Kennedy, O. , Mottram, D. (2010) Improving the palatability of oral nutritional supplements for elderly people aiming to increase intake. In: Blank, I. , Wüst, M. , Yeretzian, C. , (eds.) Expression of multidisciplinary flavour science: proceedings of the 12th Weurman Symposium, Interlaken, Switzerland, 2008 . Zürcher Hochschule für Angewandte Wissenschaften , Wädenswil, Switzerland. pp. 84-87. ISBN: 9783905745191
- Vauzour, D. , Houseman, E. , George, T. , Corona, G. , Garnotel, R. , Jackson, K. , Sellier, C. , Gillery, P. , Kennedy, O. , Lovegrove, J. , Spencer, J. (2010) Moderate Champagne consumption promotes an acute improvement in acute endothelial-independent vascular function in healthy human volunteers. British Journal of Nutrition , 103 (8). pp. 1168-1178. ISSN: 0007-1145 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1017/S0007114509992959
- Wade, S. and Kennedy, O. (2010) Does gym use impact upon nutritional knowledge? . British Food Journal , 112 (1). pp. 44-54. ISSN: 0007-070X | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1108/00070701011011191
- Herbert, G. , Kennedy, O. , Lobb, A. , Butler, L. (2010) Young adults and the 5 a day campaign: perceived benefits and barriers of eating more fruits and vegetables. International Journal of Consumer Studies , 34 (6). pp. 657-664. ISSN: 1470-6423 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1470-6431.2010.00872.x
- Methven, L. , Rahelu, K. , Economoua, N. , Kinneavya, L. , Ladbrooke-Davis, L. , Kennedy, O. , Mottram, D. , Gosney, M. (2010) The effect of consumption volume on profile and liking of oral nutritional supplements of varied sweetness: sequential profiling and boredom tests. Food Quality and Preference , 21 (8). pp. 948-955. ISSN: 0950-3293 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.foodqual.2010.04.009
- Kennedy, O. , Law, C. , Methven, L. , Mottram, D. , Gosney, M. (2010) Investigating age related changes in taste and affects on sensory perceptions of oral nutritional supplements. Age and Ageing , 39 (6). pp. 733-738. ISSN: 0002-0729 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1093/ageing/afq104
- Macready, A. , Kennedy, O. , Ellis, J. , Williams, C. , Spencer, J. , Butler, L. (2009) Flavonoids and cognitive function: a review of human randomized controlled trial studies and recommendations for future studies. Genes and Nutrition , 4 (4). pp. 227-242. ISSN: 1555-8932 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s12263-009-0135-4
- Methven, L. , Kennedy, O. , Mottram, D. , Grimble, G. , Bushell, M. , Gray, L. , Gosney, M. (2009) The effect of saccharide type on sweet perception and preference of oral nutritional supplements by elderly individuals. Proceedings of the Nutrition Society , 68 (OCE1). pp. E55. ISSN: 0029-6651 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1017/S0029665109001967
- Methven, L. , Kennedy, O. , Mottram, D. , Grimble, G. , Bushell, M. , Gray, L. , Gosney, M. (2009) Can changing the serving temperature improve the palatability of oral nutritional supplements in older consumers?. Proceedings of the Nutrition Society , 68 (OCE1). pp. E37. ISSN: 0029-6651 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1017/S0029665109001785
- Wade, . and Kennedy, . (2009) Does gym use impact upon nutritional knowledge?. British Food Journal , 112 (1). pp. 44-54. ISSN: 0007-070X | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1108/00070701011011191
- Kennedy, . , Stewart-Knox, . , P.C., . , Thurnham, . (2005) Flesh colour dominates consumer preference for chicken. Appetite , 44 (2). pp. 181-186. ISSN: 0195-6663 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.appet.2004.11.002
- Kennedy, . , Stewart-Knox, . , Mitchell, . , Thurnham, . (2005) Vitamin E supplementation, cereal feed type and consumer sensory perceptions of poultry meat quality. British Journal of Nutrition , 93 (3). pp. 333-338. ISSN: 0007-1145 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1079/BJN20041336
- Kennedy, O. , Stewart-Knox, B. , Mitchell, P. , Thurnham, D. (2004) The influence of context upon consumer sensory evaluation of chicken-meat quality. British Food Journal , 106 (3). pp. 158-165. ISSN: 0007-070X | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1108/00070700410528754
- Kennedy, O. , Stewart-Knox, B. , Mitchell, P. , Thurnham, D. (2004) Consumer perceptions of poultry meat: a qualitative analysis. Nutrition and Food Science , 34 (3). pp. 122-129. ISSN: 0034-6659 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1108/00346650410536746
- Rugkasa, J. , Barton, M. , Kennedy, O. , Knox, B. (2001) Smoking and symbolism: children, communication and cigarettes. Health Education Research , 16 (2). pp. 131-142. ISSN: 1465-3648 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1093/her/16.2.131
- Rugkasa, J. , Knox, B. , Sittlington, J. , Kennedy, O. , Treacy, M. , Abunza, P. (2001) Anxious adults vs cool children: children's view on smoking and addiction. Social Science & Medicine , 53 (5). pp. 593-602. ISSN: 0277-9536 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0277-9536(00)00367-1
- Strain, J. , Elwood, P. , Davies, A. , Kennedy, O. , Coulter, J. , Fehily, A. , Mulholland, C. , Robson, P. , Thurnham, D. (2000) Frequency of fruit and vegetable consumption and blood antioxidants in the Caerphilly cohort of older men. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition , 54 (11). pp. 828-833. ISSN: 1476-5640
- Mulholland, C. , Elwood, P. , Davis, A. , Thurnham, D. , Kennedy, O. , Coulter, J. , Fehily, A. , Strain, J. (1999) Antioxidant enzymes, inflammatory indices and lifestyle factors in older men: a cohort analysis. QJM , 92 (10). pp. 579-594. ISSN: 1460-2393 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1093/qjmed/92.10.579