- Sensory Science Centre Manager
- Admissions Tutor (Undergraduate programmes)
Building locationHarry Nursten
Areas of interest
With a background of Chemistry and Sensory Evaluation, I am an interdisciplinary researcher combining sensory science and chemical analysis.
My research to date has focussed on the interactions between proteins and oral mucosa and how this influences mouthdrying sensations. This research incorporates the study of protein interactions, physicochemical analysis, saliva and oral processing, and the perception of texture and mouthfeel using temporal sensory methods.
I am also developing research in the areas of virtual reality and contextual cues in sensory perception.
Research centres and groups
- Sensory Science Centre
- Food Research Group
- Needs, S. , Donmez, S. , Bull, S. , McQuaid, C. , Osborn, H. , Edwards, A. ORCID: 0000-0003-2369-989X (2020) Challenges in microfluidic and point-of-care phenotypic antimicrobial resistance tests. Frontiers in Mechanical Engineering , 6 ISSN: 2297-3079 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.3389/fmech.2020.00073
- Norton, V. , Lignou, S. , Bull, S. , Gosney, M. , Methven, L. (2020) Consistent effects of whey protein fortification on consumer perception and liking of solid food matrices (cakes and biscuits) regardless of age and saliva flow. Foods , 9 (9). ISSN: 2304-8158 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.3390/foods9091328
- Norton, V. , Lignou, S. , Bull, S. , Gosney, M. , Methven, L. (2020) An investigation of the influence of age and saliva flow on the oral retention of whey protein and its potential effect on the perception and acceptance of whey protein beverages. Nutrients , 12 (9). ISSN: 2072-6643 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.3390/nu12092506
- Needs, S. , Bull, S. , Bravo, J. , Walker, S. ORCID: 0000-0001-5942-1836 , Little, G. , Hart, J. , Edwards, A. ORCID: 0000-0003-2369-989X (2020) Remote videolink observation of model home sampling and home testing devices to simplify usability studies for point-of-care diagnostics. Wellcome Open Research , 5 (174). ISSN: 2398-502X | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.12688/wellcomeopenres.16105.1
- Bull, S. , Needs, S. , Edwards, A. (2020) Building open lab hardware to tackle antimicrobial resistance. University of Reading | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.17864/1926.89600
- Needs, S. , Diep, T. , Bull, S. , Lindley-Decaire, A. , Ray, P. , Edwards, A. , eds. (2019) Exploiting open source 3D printer architecture for laboratory robotics to automate high-throughput time-lapse imaging for analytical microbiology. In: Kusters, I. , (eds.) PLOS ONE , 14 (11). ISSN: 1932-6203 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0224878
- Bull, S. (2019) The effect of thermal denaturation on whey protein derived mouthdrying and investigations into mucoadhesion as a mechanism of action. | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.48683/1926.00085030