- Research Dean for Agriculture, Food and Health
- Research England Expanding Excellence in England assessment panel member
- UKRI Technology Missions Fund (TMF) Engineering Biology Mission Hubs panel member
- Programme reviewer for University Putra Malaysia (Horticulture)
- Director of the AgriFood Training Partnership
- REF2021 sub-panel member for UoA6 (Agriculture, Food and Veterinary Science)
- Editorial Board Membership:
- Associate Editor of Annual Plant Reviews Online
- Advisory Board Member for Journal of Experimental Botany
- Editorial Board Member of Journal of Molecular Horticulture
Building locationHarry Nursten
Areas of interest
Developing a food system that addresses food inequities, so that everyone can access a culturally appropriate, healthy, sustainable, affordable and enjoyable diet. To improve the quality of horticultural crops, including the nutritional value, appearance, flavour and shelf life, in order to support consumers to make healthy dietary choices.
Research centres and groups
- Member of the Hugh Sinclair Unit for Human Nutrition
- Institute of Food, Nutrition and Health
2023 – 2025. EPSRC Artificial intelligence innovation to accelerate health research call. Advancing machine learning to achieve real-world early detection and personalised disease outcome prediction of inflammatory arthritis. EP/Y019393/1 (PI Weizi Li)
2023 – 2025. UKRI Food Systems Strategic Priority Fund. Additional funding stream for health inequalities. BB/V004905/1
2022 – 2025. UKRI Food Systems Strategic Priority Fund. Increasing UK Dietary Fibre – the case for the great white British loaf. BB/W01792X/1 (PI Marcus Tindall)
2022 – 2026. UKRI Food Systems Strategic Priority Fund. Knowledge Exchange additional fund. BB/V004905/1
2022 – 2026. Hazwan Yahya. PhD funded by Malaysian Government. Reduction of postharvest loss and waste in lettuce.
2021 – 2026. UKRI Food Systems Strategic Priority Fund. Co-production of healthy, sustainable food systems for disadvantaged communities. BB/V004905/1
2020 – 2024. Hannah Case. PhD funded by FoodBioSystems BBSRC DTP. Removing unwanted macro, micro and nanoplastics from fresh produce production. In collaboration with Dr Maya Al Sid Cheikh and Prof Richard Murphy, University of Surrey
2020 – 2023. Manal Moalla Almoraie. PhD funded by King Abdul Aziz University, Saudi Arabia. Effect of pomegranate seed oil on oxidative stress and risk of cardiovascular diseases.
2020 – 2024. Huda Aldossori. PhD funded by King Faisal University, Saudi Arabia. Genetic and biochemical basis of E. coli proliferation on leafy salads.
2020 – 2024. BBSRC AgriFood Training Partnership
2020 – 2022. BBSRC Horticulture Quality and Food Loss Network. BB/T010800/1
2020 – 2021. PDRA Dr Onyinye Mason. GCRF (Co-I). Sweet Potato Catalyst Project: Filling critical knowledge gaps for improved food security analysis of under-researched food crops.
2018 – 2023. Nicholas Doddrell. BBSRC CTP PhD with Berry Gardens and NIAB-EMR. Realising increased photosynthetic efficiency to increase strawberry yields.
2018 – 2023. Klara Hajdu. PhD with NIAB-EMR and the UK Hop Association. Hop Breeding for the 21st Century.
2018. PDRA Dr Martin Chadwick. GCRF Rapid Response to support cocoa industry in post-hurricane Dominica
2017 – 2022. Jessica Fostvedt. BBSRC CTP PhD with GreenCell Ltd and University of East Anglia. Understanding the epidemiology of fungal pathogens and their impact on seasonal variation in avocado quality throughout the supply chain.
2017 – 2021. Ana Contente. AHDB PhD. Agronomic and environmental influences on flavour in culinary herbs.
2017 – 2021. Jake Jasper. KTN iCASE PhD with Waitrose. Defining, predicting and delivering ‘fresh’ in the context of leafy salads.
2017 – 2020. BBSRC AgriFood Training Partnership. BB/P023967/1
2017 – 2021. Lucy Turner. BBSRC iCASE PhD with Tozer Seeds. Linking biochemistry and genetics in celery to taste and flavour perceived by consumers: developing a more acceptable product. BB/M016579/1
2017 – 2022. Manik Puranik. Professional Doctorate with AFTP. Towards the development of an Eruca sativa crop with improved nutritional and flavour qualities by investigating the relationship between phytochemical and sensory attributes of breeding lines cultivated in different environments and identification of molecular markers for sugars.
2016 – 2021. Kala Radha. Professional Doctorate with AFTP. Effect of storage temperature, duration and drying technique on the major volatile organic compounds in mango ginger (Curcuma amada Roxb.)
2014 – 2020. Lina Zabaliunaite. Professional Doctorate with AFTP (funded by AB World Foods). Development of fat-free pappadum using high- protein gluten-free pulses through extrusion processing.
2014 – 2020. Andrew Hollingsworth. Professional Doctorate with AFTP (Funded by Leeds Metropolitan University). Future policy options to ensure food security: Developing a sustainability narrative for United Kingdom health professionals.
2017. PDRA Dr Martin Chadwick. AHDB. Agronomic and environmental influences on flavour in culinary herbs.
2016 – 2019. PDRA (Dr Luke Bell and then Dr Martin Chadwick) and research technician (Manik Puranik). BBSRC LINK with Elsoms Seeds and Bakkavor. Smart breeding for salad rocket. BB/N01894X/1
2016 – 2017. Contract research for Science and Advice for Scottish Agriculture. Analysis of glucosinolates in root exudates.
2015 – 2018. PDRA (Dr Martin Chadwick) and research technician (Kala Radha). BBSRC HAPI with Harper Adams University, University of Warwick, Rijk Zwaan, G’s Fresh, Bakkavor. A genetic approach to improving postharvest quality. BB/M017761/1
2015 – 2018. Research Technician (Kala Radha). BBSRC HAPI with University of York, University of Warwick, Harper Adams University, Tozer Seeds. A systems approach to disease resistance against necrotrophic fungal pathogens. BB/M017753/1
2015 – 2018. BBSRC Food Advanced Training Partnership. (Initial award made in 2012 with Richard Frazier as PI)
2015 – 2016. British Council funding to build links with fresh produce industry in Mexico.
2015. CGIAR. Grain Legumes Review for ICRISAT
2015. Business Innovation Voucher FoodWasteNet with Stanswick Farm. Investigating the potential of rapeseed meal for producing high value food ingredients and additives
2014 – 2015. Dr Stella Lignou and Suzanne Bird. Commercial research project with Bakkavor. Developing a blueprint for rocket quality
2014. Dr Emma Bennett. BBSRC Sparking Impact Award. Engagement with industries to model the food supply chain.
2014 – 2018. Bola Oloyede. PhD student funded by the Commonwealth. Effect of diversity of plant varieties and controlled processing on the flavour chemistry of cabbage and their impact on sensory profile and consumer acceptance.
2014 – 2018. Deepa Paliwal. PhD student funded by RETF and Bayer. Aphid killing bacteria: how do they work and how can we utilize them?
2014 – 2015. Dr Rebecca Smith. KTP award with Valley Produce. New product development from fresh herb waste.
2014 – 2015. Contract research for Berryworld. Technologies to improve strawberry fruit quality.
2013 – 2016. Nadia Yahya. PhD student funded by Malaysian Government. Improving microbial quality of fresh rocket leaves.
2013 – 2016. Rashed Alarfaj. PhD student funded by Saudi Arabian Food Agency. Mapping quality traits in strawberry.
2013 – 2016. Antonio Llorente. PhD student funded by East Malling Research/University of Reading. Mapping quality traits in strawberry in relation to water stress.
2013 – 2016. Rajeev Taggar. MPhil student funded by University of Reading/Crops for the Future. Developing genetic resources for underutilised brassica crops.
2013 – 2016. Muhamad Faiz Bin Abdul Rahman. PhD student funded by University of Nottingham/Crops for the Future in Malaysia. Understanding crop domestication.
2013. EFSA Review. (with ADAS and Rothamsted Research) . Review of the strategies for the comprehensive food and feed safety and nutritional assessment of GM plants per se. EFSA supporting publication 2013:EN-480, 115 pp.
2012 – 2016. Chelsea Snell. DTP PhD student (joint between Reading and Nottingham DTPs). The role of ARR22 in Brassica.
2012 – 2016. Luke Bell. PhD student funded by BBSRC CASE/Bakkavor/Elsoms Seeds. BB/J012629/1
2011 – 2013. Dr Laura Atkinson. Leverhulme Trust. Identifying targets for improving the nutritional content of cruciferous crops.
2011 – 2015. Kala Radha. Technician funded by VHB Herbs. Laboratory technician and trials manager.
2011 – 2014. Louise Birse. PhD student funded by RETF/SCRI. Transcriptome analysis of enterohaemorrhagic Escherichia coli in planta.
2011 – 2014. Halala Abdulfattah. PhD student funded by Kurdistani studentship. The impact of MAP on apple quality.
2011. Contract research for MacTavish Consulting Ltd and VHB Herbs
2010 – 2012. Dr Ascension Martinez Sanchez. Postdoctoral fellow funded by Spanish Government. Quantitative genetic analysis of nutritional traits in lettuce.
2010 – 2015. Dr Laura Graham. Postdoctoral visiting scientist funded by R&G Herbs. New product development for herbs.
2010 – 2014. Iffah Hazirah Bt. Mohd Nawi. PhD student funded by Malaysian Government. The role of ARR22 in seed resource accumulation and wound response.
2010. Access to EU Life Science Trace Gas Facility, Nijmegen.
2009 – 2013. Emma Bennett. PhD student funded by RETF/Tozer Seeds/University of Nottingham. Resource allocation in Arabidopsis and Brassica crops.
2009 – 2014. Martin Chadwick. PhD student funded by BBSRC/Tozer Seeds. Quantitative and qualitative assessment of bitterness in lettuce. BB/G017670/1
2009 – 2013. Ditte Hobbs. PhD student funded by RETF/Eccentricities. The impact of beetroot consumption on cardiovascular health.
2008 – 2012. Benjamin Cruickshank. PhD student funded by RETF/R&G Herbs. Improving the quality of cut fresh herbs using optimised pre-harvest cultivation conditions.
2008 – 2010. KTP award with R&G Fresh Herb Solutions.
- DPhil, University of York, Department of Biology, Gravitropic perception, signal transduction and response in Tradescantia fluminensis and Arabidopsis thaliana,1995-1998
- BSc Biology, Royal Holloway & Bedford New College, University of London, 1992-1995.
- Pettinger, C. , Hunt, L. , Gardiner, H. , Garg, P. , Howard, L. , Wagstaff, C. ORCID: 0000-0001-9400-8641 (2023) Engaging with ‘less affluent’ communities for food system transformation: a community food researcher model (FoodSEqual project). Proceedings of the Nutrition Society ISSN: 0029-6651
- Bell, L. ORCID: 0000-0003-2895-2030 , Chadwick, M. , Puranik, M. ORCID: 0009-0007-6427-8414 , Jasper, J. , Tudor, R. , Methven, L. , Wagstaff, C. ORCID: 0000-0001-9400-8641 (2023) Genotypes Of Eruca vesicaria subsp. sativa grown in contrasting field environments differ on transcriptomic and metabolomic levels, significantly impacting nutritional quality. Frontiers in Plant Science , 14 ISSN: 1664-462X | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.3389/fpls.2023.1218984
- Fostvedt, J. , Dicks, L. , Wagstaff, C. ORCID: 0000-0001-9400-8641 (2023) Stem end rot infection of avocado (Persea americana). Annual Plant Reviews online ISSN: 2639-3832
- Sawyyer, E. , Bourlakis, M. , Conrad, D. , Wagstaff, C. ORCID: 0000-0001-9400-8641 (2023) Impact pathways: unravelling the hybrid food supply chain – identifying the relationships and processes to drive change. International Journal of Operations and Production Management ISSN: 0144-3577 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1108/IJOPM-05-2023-0362
- Hunt, L. , Pettinger, C. , Wagstaff, C. ORCID: 0000-0001-9400-8641 (2023) A critical exploration of the diets of UK disadvantaged communities to inform food systems transformation: a scoping review of qualitative literature using a social practice theory lens. BMC Public Health , 23 (1). ISSN: 1471-2458 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1186/s12889-023-16804-3
- Doherty, B. , Jackson, P. , Wagstaff, C. ORCID: 0000-0001-9400-8641 , White, M. , Duncombe, T. ORCID: 0000-0003-4746-4470 (2023) The UK Government’s 2022 food strategy a year later. Nature Food , 4 pp. 824-825. ISSN: 2662-1355 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1038/s43016-023-00859-x
- Doddrell, N. , Lawson, T. , Raines, C. , Wagstaff, C. ORCID: 0000-0001-9400-8641 , Simkin, A. (2023) Feeding the world: impacts of elevated [CO2] on nutrient content of greenhouse grown fruit crops and options for future yield gains. Horticulture Research ISSN: 2052-7276 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1093/hr/uhad026
- Bell, L. ORCID: 0000-0003-2895-2030 , Chadwick, M. , Puranik, M. , Tudor, R. , Methven, L. , Wagstaff, C. ORCID: 0000-0001-9400-8641 (2022) Quantitative trait loci analysis of glucosinolate, sugar, and organic acid concentrations in Eruca vesicaria subsp. sativa. Molecular Horticulture , 2 (1). ISSN: 2730-9401 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1186/s43897-022-00044-x
- Doherty, B. , Jackson, P. , Poppy, G. , Wagstaff, C. ORCID: 0000-0001-9400-8641 , White, M. (2022) UK government food strategy lacks ambition to achieve transformative food system change. Nature Food , 3 pp. 481-482. ISSN: 2662-1355 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1038/s43016-022-00558-z
- Hunter, P. , Chadwick, M. , Graceson, A. , Hambidge, A. , Hand, P. , Heath, J. , Lignou, S. ORCID: 0000-0001-6971-2258 , Oruna-Concha, M. ORCID: 0000-0001-7916-1592 , Pink, D. , Bindukala, R. , Wagstaff, C. ORCID: 0000-0001-9400-8641 , Burker, G. , Monaghan, J. (2022) Elucidation of the biochemical pathways involved in two distinct cut-surface discolouration phenotypes of lettuce. Postharvest Biology and Technology , 183 ISSN: 0925-5214 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.postharvbio.2021.111753
- Paliwal, D. ORCID: 0000-0002-6891-0778 , Hamilton, A. , Barrett, G. ORCID: 0000-0003-1509-0179 , Alberti, F. , Van Emden, H. , Monteil, C. , Machuline, T. , Nauen, R. , Wagstaff, C. ORCID: 0000-0001-9400-8641 , Bass, C. , Jackson, R. (2022) Identification of novel aphid-killing bacteria to protect plants. Microbial Biotechnology , 15 (4). pp. 1203-1220. ISSN: 1751-7915 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1111/1751-7915.13902
- Oloyede, O. ORCID: 0000-0001-6392-0937 , Wagstaff, C. ORCID: 0000-0001-9400-8641 , Methven, L. (2021) The impact of domestic cooking methods on myrosinase stability, glucosinolates and their hydrolysis products in different cabbage (Brassica oleracea) accessions. Foods , 10 (12). ISSN: 2304-8158 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.3390/foods10122908
- Oloyede, O. ORCID: 0000-0001-6392-0937 , Wagstaff, C. ORCID: 0000-0001-9400-8641 , Methven, L. (2021) Influence of cabbage (Brassica oleracea) accession and growing conditions on myrosinase activity, glucosinolates and their hydrolysis products. Foods , 10 (12). ISSN: 2304-8158 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.3390/foods10122903
- Turner, L. , Wagstaff, C. ORCID: 0000-0001-9400-8641 , Gawthrop, F. , Lignou, S. ORCID: 0000-0001-6971-2258 (2021) Consumer acceptability and sensory profile of three new celery (Apium graveolens) hybrids and their parental genotypes. International Journal of Molecular Sciences , 22 (24). ISSN: 1422-0067 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.3390/ijms222413561
- Turner, L. , Lignou, S. ORCID: 0000-0001-6971-2258 , Gawthrop, F. , Wagstaff, C. ORCID: 0000-0001-9400-8641 (2021) Investigating the relationship of genotype and geographical location on volatile composition and sensory profile of celery (Apium graveolens). International Journal of Molecular Sciences , 22 (21). ISSN: 1422-0067 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.3390/ijms222112016
- Turner, L. , Dawda, D. , Wagstaff, C. ORCID: 0000-0001-9400-8641 , Gawthrop, F. , Lignou, S. ORCID: 0000-0001-6971-2258 (2021) Influence of harvest maturity on the aroma quality of two celery (Apium graveolens) genotypes. Food Chemistry , 365 ISSN: 0308-8146 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2021.130515
- Jasper, J. , Elmore, J. ORCID: 0000-0002-2685-1773 , Wagstaff, C. ORCID: 0000-0001-9400-8641 (2021) Determining the quality of leafy salads: past, present and future. Postharvest Biology and Technology , 180 ISSN: 0925-5214 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.postharvbio.2021.111630
- Turner, L. , Lignou, S. ORCID: 0000-0001-6971-2258 , Gawthrop, F. , Wagstaff, C. ORCID: 0000-0001-9400-8641 (2021) Investigating the relationship of genotype and climate conditions on the volatile composition and sensory profile of celery (apium graveolens). Foods , 10 (6). ISSN: 2304-8158 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.3390/foods10061335
- Alarfaj, R. , El-Soda, M. , Antanaviciute, L. , Vickerstaff, R. , Hand, P. , Harrison, R. , Wagstaff, C. ORCID: 0000-0001-9400-8641 (2021) Mapping QTL underlying fruit quality traits in an F1 strawberry population. Journal of Horticultural Science & Biotechnology , 96 (5). pp. 634-645. ISSN: 1462-0316 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/14620316.2021.1912647
- Chen, C. , Jiang, A. , Liu, C. , Wagstaff, C. ORCID: 0000-0001-9400-8641 , Zhao, Q. , Zhang, Y. , Hu, W. (2021) Hydrogen sulfide inhibits the browning of fresh-cut apple by regulating the antioxidant, energy and lipid metabolism. Postharvest Biology and Technology , 175 ISSN: 0925-5214 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.postharvbio.2021.111487
- Turner, L. , Lignou, S. , Gawthrop, F. , Wagstaff, C. (2021) Investigating the factors that influence the aroma profile of Apium graveolens: a review. Food Chemistry , 345 ISSN: 0308-8146 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2020.128673
- Bell, L. ORCID: 0000-0003-2895-2030 , Lignou, S. , Wagstaff, C. (2020) High glucosinolate content in rocket leaves (Diplotaxis tenuifolia and Eruca sativa) after multiple harvests is associated with increased bitterness, pungency, and reduced consumer liking. Foods ISSN: 2304-8158 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.3390/foods9121799
- Bell, L. ORCID: 0000-0003-2895-2030 , Chadwick, M. , Puranik, M. , Tudor, R. , Methven, L. , Kennedy, S. , Wagstaff, C. ORCID: 0000-0001-9400-8641 (2020) The Eruca sativa genome and transcriptome: a targeted analysis of sulfur metabolism and glucosinolate biosynthesis pre and postharvest. Frontiers in Plant Science , 11 ISSN: 1664-462X | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.3389/fpls.2020.525102
- Young, H. , Plumpton, H. , Miret Barrio, J. , Cornforth, R. , Petty, C. , Todman, L. , O'Sullivan, D. , Wagstaff, C. , Mason, O. , Shepherd, T. , Saabwe, C. , Talwisa, M. (2020) Sweet potato production in Uganda in a changing climate: what is the role for fertilisers. Walker Institute pp 8. | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.3955098
- Young, H. , Cornforth, R. , Todman, L. , Miret Barrio, J. , Shepherd, T. , Petty, C. , O'Sullivan, D. , Wagstaff, C. , Mason, O. , Talwisa, M. (2020) Assessing the impact of climate change on sweet potato in Uganda. Walker Institute pp 4. | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.3836642
- Chamani, E. , Wagstaff, C. , Kanani, M. (2020) Phenolics pattern of cut H3O rose flowers during floral development. Scientia Horticulturae , 271 ISSN: 0304-4238 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.scienta.2020.109460
- Signore, A. , Bell, L. , Santamaria, P. , Wagstaff, C. , Van Labeke, M. (2020) Red light is effective in reducing nitrate concentration in rocket by increasing nitrate reductase activity, and contributes to increased total glucosinolates content. Frontiers in Plant Science , 11 ISSN: 1664-462X | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.3389/fpls.2020.00604
- Jasper, J. , Wagstaff, C. , Bell, L. (2020) Growth temperature influences postharvest glucosinolate concentrations and hydrolysis product formation in first and second cuts of rocket salad. Postharvest Biology and Technology , 163 pp. 111157. ISSN: 0925-5214 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.postharvbio.2020.111157
- Hunter, P. , Pink, D. , Hand, P. , Heath, J. , Barker, G. , Hambidge, A. , Lignou, S. , Oruna-Concha, M. , Radha, B. , Wagstaff, C. , Monaghan, J. (2019) A genetic approach to improving postharvest quality in lettuce. Acta Horticulturae (1256). pp. 295-302. ISSN: 0567-7572 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.17660/ActaHortic.2019.1256.41
- Bell, L. , Methven, L. , Wagstaff, C. (2019) Smart breeding for salad rocket: a strategy for improving taste, flavor and nutrition. Acta Horticulturae (1256). pp. 647-652. ISSN: 0567-7572 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.17660/ActaHortic.2019.1256.92
- Chamani, E. and Wagstaff, C. (2019) Effects of postharvest relative humidity and various re-cutting on vase life of cut rose flowers. International Journal of Postharvest Technology and Innovation , 6 (1). pp. 70-82. ISSN: 1744-7569 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1504/IJPTI.2019.104207
- Zuluaga, D. , Graham, N. , Klinder, A. , van Ommen Kloeke, A. , Marcotrigiano, A. , Wagstaff, C. ORCID: 0000-0001-9400-8641 , Verkerk, R. , Sonnante, G. , Aarts, M. (2019) Overexpression of the MYB29 transcription factor affects aliphatic glucosinolate synthesis in Brassica oleracea. Plant Molecular Biology , 101 (1-2). pp. 65-79. ISSN: 1573-5028 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11103-019-00890-2
- Bell, L. and Wagstaff, C. (2019) Rocket science: a review of phytochemical & health-related research in Eruca & Diplotaxis species. Food Chemistry: X , 1 ISSN: 2590-1575 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.fochx.2018.100002
- Yahya, H. , Lignou, S. , Wagstaff, C. , Bell, L. (2019) Changes in bacterial loads, gas composition, volatile organic compounds, and glucosinolates of fresh bagged Ready-To-Eat rocket under different shelf life treatment scenarios. Postharvest Biology and Technology , 148 pp. 107-119. ISSN: 9255214 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.postharvbio.2018.10.021
- Wagstaff, C. , Kendrick, F. , Dennis, C. , Hollington, P. , Hess, T. , Brameld, J. , Crook, M. , Wilkinson, M. , Roberts, J. , Farrell, C. , Mason, B. (2018) Productivity framework. Food Science and Technology (IFST quarterly magazine) , 32 (4). pp. 52-57.
- Bell, L. , Oloyede, O. , Lignou, S. , Wagstaff, C. , Methven, L. (2018) Taste and flavour perceptions of glucosinolates, isothiocyanates, and related compounds. Molecular Nutrition & Food Research , 62 (18). ISSN: 1613-4125 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1002/mnfr.201700990
- Abdullah, S. , Chai-Ling, H. , Wagstaff, C. , eds. (2017) Crop improvement: sustainability through leading-edge technology. Springer pp 388. ISBN: 9783319650784 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-65079-1
- Bell, L. and Wagstaff, C. (2017) Enhancement of glucosinolate and isothiocyanate profiles in brassicaceae crops: addressing challenges in breeding for cultivation, storage, and consumer-related traits. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry , 65 (43). pp. 9379-9403. ISSN: 1520-5118 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acs.jafc.7b03628
- Hunter, P. , Atkinson, L. , Vickers, L. , Lignou, S. , Oruna-Concha, M. , Pink, D. , Hand, P. , Barker, G. , Wagstaff, C. , Monaghan, J. (2017) Oxidative discolouration in whole-head and cut lettuce: biochemical and environmental influences on a complex phenotype and potential breeding strategies to improve shelf-life. Euphytica , 213 (8). ISSN: 0014-2336 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10681-017-1964-7
- Bennett, E. , Brignell, C. , Carion, P. , Cook, S. , Eastmond, P. , Teakle, G. , Hammond, J. , Love, C. , King, G. , Roberts, J. , Wagstaff, C. (2017) Development of a statistical crop model to explain the relationship between seed yield and phenotypic diversity within the Brassica napus genepool. Agronomy , 7 (2). ISSN: 2073-4395 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.3390/agronomy7020031
- Bell, L. , Yahya, H. , Oloyede, O. , Methven, L. , Wagstaff, C. (2017) Changes in rocket salad phytochemicals within the commercial supply chain: glucosinolates, isothiocyanates, amino acids and bacterial load increase significantly after processing. Food Chemistry , 221 pp. 521-534. ISSN: 0308-8146 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2016.11.154
- Bell, L. ORCID: 0000-0003-2895-2030 , Methven, L. , Wagstaff, C. ORCID: 0000-0001-9400-8641 (2017) The influence of phytochemical composition and resulting sensory attributes on preference for salad rocket (Eruca sativa) accessions by consumers of varying TAS2R38 diplotype. Food Chemistry , 222 pp. 6-17. ISSN: 0308-8146 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2016.11.153
- Bell, L. , Methven, L. , Signore, A. , Oruna-Concha, M. , Wagstaff, C. (2017) Analysis of seven salad rocket (Eruca sativa) accessions: the relationships between sensory attributes and volatile and non-volatile compounds. Food Chemistry , 218 pp. 181-191. ISSN: 0308-8146 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2016.09.076
- Crozier, L. , Hedley, P. , Morris, J. , Wagstaff, C. , Andrews, S. , Toth, I. , Jackson, R. , Holden, N. (2016) Corrigendum: whole-transcriptome analysis of Verocytotoxigenic Escherichia coli O157:H7 (Sakai) Suggests Plant-Species-Specific Metabolic Responses on Exposure to Spinach and Lettuce Extracts.. Frontiers in Microbiology ISSN: 1664-302X | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.3389/fmicb.2016.01506
- Crozier, L. , Hedley, P. , Morris, J. , Wagstaff, C. , Andrews, S. , Toth, I. , Jackson, R. , Holden, N. (2016) Whole-transcriptome analysis of verocytotoxigenic Escherichia coli O157:H7 (Sakai) suggests plant-species- specific metabolic responses on exposure to spinach and lettuce extracts. Frontiers in Microbiology , 7 ISSN: 1664-302X | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.3389/fmicb.2016.01088
- Midmore, D. , Dunwell, J. , Wagstaff, C. , Smith, S. (2016) CGIAR research program on grain legumes. CGIAR pp 218.
- Salleh, F. , Mariotti, L. , Spadafora, N. , Price, A. , Picciarelli, P. , Wagstaff, C. , Lombardi, L. , Rogers, H. (2016) Interaction of plant growth regulators and reactive oxygen species to regulate petal senescence in wallflowers (Erysimum linifolium). BMC Plant Biology , 16 (1). ISSN: 1471-2229 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1186/s12870-016-0766-8
- Chadwick, M. , Gawthrop, F. , Michelmore, R. , Wagstaff, C. , Methven, L. (2016) Perception of bitterness, sweetness and liking of different genotypes of lettuce. Food Chemistry , 197 pp. 66-74. ISSN: 0308-8146 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2015.10.105
- Bell, L. , Spadafora, N. , Mueller, C. , Wagstaff, C. , Rogers, H. (2016) Use of TD-GC-TOF-MS to assess volatile composition during post harvest storage in seven accessions of rocket salad (Eruca sativa). Food Chemistry , 194 pp. 626-636. ISSN: 0308-8146 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2015.08.043
- Dunwell, J. , Midmore, D. , Smith, S. , Wagstaff, C. (2015) CRP commissioned external evaluation of CGIAR Research Program on Grain Legumes. CGIAR pp 98.
- Lovegrove, J. , Commane, D. , Jackson, K. , Karani, V. , Kennedy, O. , Kuhnle, G. , Spencer, J. , Wagstaff, C. , Yaqoob, P. (2015) The Hugh Sinclair Unit of Human Nutrition – 20 years of research 1995–2015. Nutrition Bulletin , 40 (4). pp. 303-314. ISSN: 1467-3010 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1111/nbu.12176
- Schippers, J. , Schmidt, R. , Wagstaff, C. , Jing, H. (2015) Living to die and dying to live: the survival strategy behind leaf senescence. Plant Physiology , 169 (2). pp. 914-930. ISSN: 0032-0889 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1104/pp.15.00498
- Bell, L. , Oruna-Concha, M. , Wagstaff, C. (2015) Identification and quantification of glucosinolate and flavonol compounds in rocket salad (Eruca sativa, Eruca vesicaria and Diplotaxis tenuifolia) by LC–MS: highlighting the potential for improving nutritional value of rocket crops. Food Chemistry , 172 pp. 852-861. ISSN: 0308-8146 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2014.09.116
- Bell, L. and Wagstaff, C. (2014) Glucosinolates, myrosinase hydrolysis products, and flavonols found in rocket (Eruca sativa and Diplotaxis tenuifolia). Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry , 62 (20). pp. 4481-4492. ISSN: 0021-8561 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1021/jf501096x
- Bennett, E. , Roberts, J. , Wagstaff, C. (2014) Use of mutants to dissect the role of ethylene signalling in organ senescence and the regulation of yield in Arabidopsis thaliana. Journal of Plant Growth Regulation , 33 (1). pp. 56-65. ISSN: 0721-7595 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00344-013-9382-0
- Wagstaff, C. (2014) Analysis of growth physiology and phytochemical content of Eruca and Diplotaxis Cultivars under different light and temperature regimes. Acta Horticulturae , 1040 pp. 361-374. ISSN: 0567-7572 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.17660/ActaHortic.2014.1040.49
- Bennett, E. , Gawthrop, F. , Yao, C. , Boniface, C. , Ishihara, H. , Roberts, J. , Wagstaff, C. (2013) Effects of planting density and nitrogen application on seed yield and other morphological traits of the leafy vegetable kale (Brassica oleracea).. Aspects of Applied Biology , 119 pp. 201-216. ISSN: 0265-1491 ISBN: ISSN 0265-1491 (special issue 'Fruits & Roots: a celebration and forward look')
- Chadwick, M. , Trewin, H. , Gawthrop, F. , Wagstaff, C. (2013) Sesquiterpenoids lactones: benefits to plants and people. International Journal of Molecular Sciences , 14 (6). pp. 12780-12805. ISSN: 1422-0067 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.3390/ijms140612780
- Graham, L. , Schippers, J. , Dijkwel, P. , Wagstaff, C. (2012) Ethylene and senescence processes. In: McManus, M. , (eds.) The plant hormone ethylene. Annual plant reviews Wiley-Blackwell (44). , Oxford. pp. 305-341. ISBN: 9781444330038 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1002/9781118223086.ch12
- Bennett, E. , Roberts, J. , Wagstaff, C. (2012) Manipulating resource allocation in plants. Journal of Experimental Botany , 63 (9). pp. 3391-3400. ISSN: 0022-0957 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1093/jxb/err442
- Mottram, D. , Mills, C. , Wagstaff, C. , Dodson, A. (2011) Investigation of the characteristic earthy flavor of baby corn (Zea Mays). In: Hofmann, . , Meyerhof, . , Schieberle, . , (eds.) Advances and Challenges in Flavor Chemistry & Biology. Deutsche Forschungsanstalt für Lebensmittelchemie , Freising, Germany. pp. 146-151. ISBN: 9783938896389
- Bennett, E. , Roberts, J. , Wagstaff, C. (2011) The role of the pod in seed development: strategies for manipulating yield. New Phytologist , 190 (4). pp. 838-853. ISSN: 0028-646X | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1469-8137.2011.03714.x
- Yin-Chih, L. , Imsabai, W. , Reid, M. , Cai-Zhong, J. , Wagstaff, C. (2010) A universal primer for isolation of fragments of a gene encoding phytoene desaturase for use in virus-induced gene silencing (VIGS) studies. Acta Horticulturae , 877 pp. 1697-1704. ISSN: 0567-7572
- Wagstaff, C. , Clarkson, G. , Zhang, F. , Rothwell, S. , Fry, S. , Taylor, G. , Dixon, M. (2010) Modification of cell wall properties in lettuce improves shelf life. Journal of Experimental Botany , 61 (4). pp. 1239-1248. ISSN: 0022-0957 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1093/jxb/erq038
- Wagstaff, C. , Bramke, I. , Breeze, E. , Thornber, S. , Harrison, E. , Thomas, B. , Buchanan-Wollaston, V. , Stead, T. , Rogers, H. (2010) A specific group of genes respond to cold dehydration stress in cut Alstroemeria flowers whereas ambient dehydration stress accelerates developmental senescence expression patterns. Journal of Experimental Botany , 61 (11). pp. 2905-2921. ISSN: 0022-0957 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1093/jxb/erq113
- Wagstaff, . , Yang, . , Stead, . , Buchanan-Wollaston, . , Roberts, . (2009) A molecular and structural characterization of senescing Arabidopsis siliques and comparison of transcriptional profiles with senescing petals and leaves. Plant Journal , 57 (4). pp. 690-705. ISSN: 0960-7412 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-313X.2008.03722.x
- Jin, J. , Koroleva, O. , Gibson, T. , Swanston, J. , Magan, J. , Zhang, Y. , Rowland, I. , Wagstaff, C. (2009) Analysis of Phytochemical Composition and Chemoprotective Capacity of Rocket (Eruca sativa and Diplotaxis tenuifolia) Leafy Salad Following Cultivation in Different Environments. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry , 57 (12). pp. 5227-5234. ISSN: 0021-8561 | doi: DOI:10.1021/jf9002973
- Gonzalez-Carranza, . , Rompa, . , Peters, . , Bhatt, . , Wagstaff, . , Stead, . , Roberts, . (2007) HAWAIIAN SKIRT: an F-box gene that regulates organ fusion and growth in arabidopsis. Plant Physiology , 144 (3). pp. 1370-1382. ISSN: 0032-0889 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1104/pp.106.092288
- Wagstaff, . , Dixon, . , Clarkson, . , Rothwell, . , Page, . , Taylor, . (2007) Characterisation of cell death in bagged baby salad leaves. Postharvest Biology and Technology , 46 (2). pp. 150-159. ISSN: 0925-5214 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.postharvbio.2007.04.013
- Zhang, . , Wagstaff, . , Rae, . , Sihota, . , Keevil, . , Rothwell, . , Clarkson, . , Michelmore, . , Truco, . , Dixon, . , Taylor, . (2007) QTLs for shelf life in lettuce co-locate with those for leaf biophysical properties but not with those for leaf developmental traits. Journal of Experimental Botany , 58 (6). pp. 1433-1449. ISSN: 0022-0957 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1093/jxb/erm006