Professor Jane Setter
School Director of Academic Tutoring;
School TEF Lead
Departmental Examinations Officer
Areas of interest
National Teaching Fellow and Senior Fellow of the UK Higher Education Academy (now Advance HE), Jane is reviews editor of the Journal of the International Phonetic Association, on the editorial board of the Journal of Second Language Pronunciation, and on the advisory panel of Babel: The Language Magazine. As of August 2019, she takes up membership of the Council of the International Phonetic Association (IPA). She is a regular contributor to the University College London Summer Course in English Phonetics; she has taught on the IPA Certificate Strand of this course, and has acted as an examiner for the IPA Certificate of Proficiency in the Phonetics of English.
Jane is School Director of Academic Tutoring and Departmental Examinations Officer. Her outreach activities include visiting schools to give talks to students, and organising and teaching on our INSET course for teachers of A level English Language. She has also run refresher courses in Grammar and Phonetics for Speech and Language Therapists with colleagues in the School of Psychology and Clinical Language Sciences.
Jane is probably best known as co-editor of the eighteenth edition of the Cambridge English Pronouncing Dictionary (CUP, 2011). Her main research interests are English phonetics and phonology, English pronunciation and intelligibility (including in World and learner Englishes), phonology in atypical speech populations (specifically Williams syndrome), and phonetics and phonology in Hong Kong English; her particular interest is in prosodic aspects of speech such as rhythm and intonation. She has held UK and international research grants and published widely, and is a popular keynote speaker, both at home and abroad.
Jane also works on aspects of teaching and learning in Higher Education, both in phonetics/phonology and in other aspects of quality assurance and quality enhancement, including working with students as partners in the curriculum and on aspects of student employability. She acts as external examiner and on periodic review panels for universities in the UK and internationally and collaborates with colleagues worldwide on aspects of teaching and learning.
Postgraduate supervisionJane currently supervises five PhD students.
Jane teaches the following modules:
- LSMDPH: Pedagogic Phonetics and Phonology (Distance)
- LSMFLS: Foundations of Language Study - English Phonology content
- LS2ANS: Analysing Speech
- LS2EP: English Phonology
- LS3EIW/LSMEW: English in the World
- LS1SG: Sounds, Grammar and Meaning - Phonetics content.
Research centres and groups
- Member of Senate
- Associate Member of Centre for Literacy and Multilingualism (CeLM)
- BA (Hons) Language Studies & English (Leeds)
- MA Linguistics & English Language Teaching (Leeds)
- PhD (Reading).
- Yap, N. and Setter, J. , eds. (2020) Speech Research in a Malaysian Context. In: Yap, N. and Setter, J. (eds.) Universiti Putra Malaysia Press , Malaysia. ISBN: 9789672395256
- Mat Nayan, N. and Setter, J. (2020) Stress and prominence in the speech of Malay speakers of English. Speech Research in a Malaysian Context. Universiti Putra Malaysia Press , Malaysia. pp. 78-98. ISBN: 9789672395256
- Setter, J. , eds. (2019) Your voice speaks volumes: it's not what you say, but how you say it. Oxford University Press pp 240. ISBN: 9780198813842
- Hudson, T. , Setter, J. , Mok, P. (2019) Nuclear tones in Hong Kong and British English. Proceedings of the 19th International Congress of Phonetic Sciences, Melbourne, Australia 2019. Australasian Speech Science and Technology Association Inc. , Canberra, Australia. pp. 320-323. ISBN: 9780646800691
- Sebina, B. , Setter, J. , Wright, C. (2019) The penultimate syllable vowel length among Setswana-English bilingual children. Proceedings of the 19th International Congress of Phonetic Sciences, Melbourne, Australia 2019. Australasian Speech Science and Technology Association Inc. , Canberra, Australia. pp. 2881-2885. ISBN: 9780646800691
- Setter, J. , Yap, N. , Stojanovik, V. (2019) The perception of sentence stress in Malay and English. Proceedings of the 19th International Congress of Phonetic Sciences, Melbourne, Australia 2019. Australasian Speech Science and Technology Association Inc. , Canberra, Australia. pp. 2268-2271. ISBN: 9780646800691
- Setter, J. (2018) Future challenges of the impact agenda. Applying Linguistics: Language and the impact agenda. Routledge , London. pp. 179-184. ISBN: 9781138237513
- Stojanovik, V. , Zimmerer, V. , Setter, J. , Hudson, K. , Poyraz-Bilgin, I. , Saddy, D. (2018) Artificial grammar learning in Williams syndrome and in typical development: the role of rules, familiarity and prosodic cues. Applied Psycholinguistics , 39 (2). pp. 327-353. ISSN: 1469-1817 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/S0142716417000212
- Becker, L. , Collier, J. , Setter, J. (2018) Students as change partners in the School of Literature and Languages at the University of Reading. The Journal of Educational Innovation, Partnership and Change , 4 (1). ISSN: 2055-4990 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.21100/jeipc.v4i1.712
- Puga, K. , Fuchs, R. , Hudson, T. , Setter, J. , Mok, P. (2018) The perception-production link in intonation: evidence from German learners of English. pp. 685-689. | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.21437/SpeechProsody.2018-139
- Setter, J. and Sebina, B. (2017) English lexical stress, prominence and rhythm. The Routledge Handbook of Contemporary English Pronunciation. Routledge , Abingdon, UK. pp. 137-153.
- Binasfour, H. , Setter, J. , Aslan, E. (2017) Enhancing L2 learners’ perception and production of the Arabic emphatic sounds.
- Setter, J. (2017) Research-led teaching in phonetics: an exercise in research literacy. pp. 94-98.
- Puga, K. , Fuchs, R. , Setter, J. , Mok, P. (2017) The perception of English intonation patterns by German L2 speakers of English. pp. 3241-3245. | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.21437/Interspeech.2017-1279
- Stojanovik, V. , Setter, J. , Lacroix, A. (2016) Le développement de la prosodie dans le syndrome de Williams et le syndrome de Down chez des enfants de langue anglaise. Bulletin de psychologie , 69 (2). pp. 137-145. ISSN: 0007-4403 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.3917/bupsy.542.0137 (No. 542)
- Mat Nayan, N. and Setter, J. (2016) Malay English intonation: the cooperative rise. English World-Wide , 37 (3). pp. 293-322. ISSN: 0172-8865 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1075/eww.37.3.03mat
- Setter, J. , Mok, P. , Low, E. , Zuo, D. , Ao, R. (2014) Word juncture characteristics in world Englishes: a research report. World Englishes , 33 (2). pp. 278-291. ISSN: 1467-971X | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/weng.12085
- Martínez-Castilla, P. , Stojanovik, V. , Setter, J. , Sotillo, M. (2012) Prosodic abilities in Spanish and English children with Williams syndrome: a cross-linguistic study. Applied Psycholinguistics , 33 (1). pp. 1-22. ISSN: 1469-1817 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/S0142716411000385
- Stojanovik, V. and Setter, J. (2011) Prosody in two genetic disorders: Williams and Down's syndrome. Speech Prosody in Atypical Populations: Assessment and Remediation. J&R Press pp. 25-43. ISBN: 9781907826009
- Stojanovik, V. and Setter, J. , eds. (2011) Speech prosody in atypical populations: assessment and remediation. In: Stojanovik, V. and Setter, J. (eds.) J & R Press ISBN: 9781907826009
- Setter, J. , Stojanovik, V. , Martínez-Castilla, P. (2010) Evaluating the intonation of non-native speakers of English using a computerised test battery. International Journal of Applied Linguistics , 20 (3). pp. 368-385. ISSN: 1473-4192 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1473-4192.2010.00253.x
- Setter, J. , Wong, C. , Chan, B. , eds. (2010) Hong Kong English. Dialects of English Edinburgh University Press , UK. ISBN: 9780748635962
- Setter, J. (2010) The future of English. [Video]
- Setter, J. (2009) L2 prosody research: rhythm and intonation. Ta(l)king English phonetics across frontiers. Cambridge Scholars Publishing , Newcastle. pp. 91-102. ISBN: 9781443813037
- Stojanovik, V. and Setter, J. (2009) Conditions in which prosodic impairments occur. International Journal of Speech-Language Pathology , 11 (4). pp. 293-297. ISSN: 1754-9515 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/17549500902943647
- Stojanovik, V. and Setter, J. (2009) Conditions in which prosodic impairments occur. International Journal of Speech-Language Pathology , 11 (4). pp. 293-297. ISSN: 1754-9515 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/17549500902943647 (Scientific forum: Prosody in speech-language pathology)
- Stojanovik, . and Setter, J. (2008) Atypical prosody in children with Williams syndrome.
- Setter, J. (2008) Consonant clusters in Hong Kong English. World Englishes , 27 (3-4). pp. 502-515. ISSN: 1467-971X | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-971X.2008.00581.x
- Stojanovik, . , Setter, J. , Martinez-Castilla, . (2008) Prosodic abilities in English and Spanish children with Williams syndrome: a cross-linguistic study.
- Setter, J. , Stojanovik, . , Martinez-Castilla, . (2008) Using PEPS-C as a tool to evaluate the intonation of learners of English.
- Setter, J. , Stojanovik, . , van Ewijk, . , Moreland, . (2007) Affective prosody in children with Williams syndrome. Clinical Linguistics & Phonetics , 21 (9). pp. 659-672. ISSN: 0269-9206 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/02699200701539056
- Stojanovik, . , Setter, J. , van Ewijk, . (2007) Intonation abilities of children with Williams syndrome: a preliminary investigation. Journal of Speech Language and Hearing Research , 50 (6). pp. 1606-1617. ISSN: 1092-4388 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1044/1092-4388(2007/108)
- Setter, J. , Stojanovik, V. , Van Ewijk, L. , Moreland, M. (2007) Pitch range and vowel duration in the speech of children with Williams syndrome. pp. 1977-1980.
- Setter, J. (2006) Speech rhythm in world Englishes: the case of Hong Kong. TESOL Quarterly , 40 (4). pp. 763-782. ISSN: 1545-7249
- Roach, P. , Hartman, J. , Setter, J. , eds. (2006) Daniel Jones' English pronouncing dictionary. 17th edition.. Cambridge University Press , Cambridge. pp 622. ISBN: 9780521680875
- Setter, J. and Jenkins, J. (2005) State-of-the-art review article. Language Teaching , 38 (1). pp. 1-17. ISSN: 1475-3049 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/S026144480500251X
- Setter, J. (2005) Communicative patterns of intonation in L2 English teaching and learning. English pronunciation models: a changing scene. 2nd edition.. Linguistic Insights Peter Lang (21). , Bern. pp. 367-389. ISBN: 9783039116829
- Setter, J. (2005) Listening to other Englishes: British listeners on Singapore speakers. English in Singapore: phonetic research on a corpus. McGraw Hill Education (Asia) , Singapore. pp. 163-172. ISBN: 9780071247276
- Setter, J. and Deterding, D. (2003) Extra final consonants in the English of Hong Kong and Singapore. Proceedings of the 15th international congress of phonetic sciences. Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona , Barcelona. pp. 1875-1878. ISBN: 9781876346492
- Setter, J. (2003) A comparison of speech rhythm in British and Hong Kong English. Proceedings of the 15th international congress of phonetic sciences. Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona , Barcelona. pp. 467-470. ISBN: 9781876346492