Professor Clare Furneaux
Co-chair Sub-Committee on Student Experience and Support
Teaching and Learning Dean for the Institute of Education, the School of Law and of the School of Politics, Economics and International Relations (SPEIR).
Founding former Academic Director for the MA English Language Teaching by Distance Study (until 2015)
Areas of interest
Clare's EdD included an institution-focused study entitled "Undergraduates and Technology: Uses and Attitudes", and a thesis entitled "Masters Level Study in a British Context: Developing Writers". Her research interests are concerned with developing second language writing skills (especially in English for Academic Purposes contexts) and on-line/distance learning. She also supervises research in the areas of curriculum design and study skills.
Postgraduate supervisionClare supervises PhD students in the Department of English Language and Applied Linguistics in areas of second language writing.
Research centres and groupsApplied Linguistics Research Group.
- BA Joint Honours English and History (Bristol)
- Postgraduate Certificate in Typography: Web-based Design (Reading)
- Postgraduate Certificate 'Applications of IT in Open and Distance Learning' (Open University)
- Diploma in the Teaching of English Overseas (Manchester)
- MA in Applied Linguistics (Reading) EdD (Institute of Education, University of London).
Awards and honoursNational Award: Clare was made a National Teaching Fellow by the UK Higher Education Academy in 2009.
- Wette, R. and Furneaux, C. (2018) Academic discourse socialisation challenges and coping strategies of international graduate students entering English-medium universities. System , 78 pp. 186-200. ISSN: 0346-251X | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.system.2018.09.001
- Furneaux, C. (2017) Transitions into post-graduate study: developing writers at a British University. In: Spelman Miller, K. and Stevensen, M. , (eds.) Transitions in writing. Brill ISBN: 9789004330399 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/9789004348905
- Liu, X. and Furneaux, C. (2015) Argument structures in Chinese university students’ argumentative writing: a contrastive study. English Text Construction , 8 (1). pp. 65-87. ISSN: 1874-8775 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1075/etc.8.1.03liu
- Furneaux, C. (2015) Becoming a post/graduate writer in a social science discipline. In: Badenhorst, C. and Guerin, C. , (eds.) Research literacies and writing pedagogies for Masters and doctoral writers. Studies in Writing Series , 31. Brill , Leiden. Netherlands. pp. 166-183. ISBN: 9789004304338 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/9789004304338
- Furneaux, C. , Wright, C. , Wilding, E. (2015) From darkness to light: first experiences in developing and facilitating a MOOC. In: Corbeil, J. , Corbeil, M. , Khan, B. , (eds.) The MOOC Casebook: Case Studies in MOOC Design, Development and Implementation. Linus Books , Ronkonkoma, NY. pp. 337-348. ISBN: 9781607975618
- Liu, X. and Furneaux, C. (2013) A multidimensional comparison of discourse organization in English and Chinese university students' argumentative writing. International Journal of Applied Linguistics ISSN: 1473-4192 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/ijal.12013
- Furneaux, C. and Rignall, M. (2007) The effect of standardisation - training on rater judgements for the IELTS Writing Module. In: Taylor, L. and Falvey, P. , (eds.) IELTS Collected Papers: Research in Speaking and Writing Assessment SiLT 19. Cambridge University Presss , Cambridge. pp. 422-445.
- Furneaux, C. , Paran, A. , Fairfax, B. (2007) Teacher stance as reflected in feedback on student writing: An empirical study of secondary school teachers in five countries. International Review of Applied Linguistics in Language Teaching , 45 (1). pp. 69-94. ISSN: 1613-4141 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1515/IRAL.2007.003
- Paran, A. , Furneaux, C. , Sumner, N. (2004) Computer-mediated communication in distance MA programmes: the student's perspective. System , 32 (3). pp. 337-355. ISSN: 0346-251X | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.system.2004.02.007
- Furneaux, C. , Robinson, P. , Tonkyn, A. (1998) Making friends and influencing teachers: strategies for acculturation in the EAP classroom. In: Brookes, A. and Grundy, P. , (eds.) Individualization and Autonomy in Language Learning. MEP in association with the British Council pp. 88-99.
- Furneaux, C. (1998) 10 entries. In: Johnson, K. and Johnson, H. , (eds.) Encyclopedic Dictionary of Applied Linguistics. Oxford Blackwell
- Tonkyn, A. , Locke, C. , Robinson, P. , Furneaux, C. (1993) The EAP teacher: prophet of doom or eternal optimist? EAP teachers' predictions of students' success. In: Blue, G. , (eds.) Language, Learning and Success: Studying through English. MEP in association with the British Council pp. 37-48.
- Furneaux, C. , Locke, C. , Robinson, P. , Tonkyn, A. (1991) Talking heads and shifting bottoms: the ethnography of academic seminars. In: Adams, P. , Heaton, B. , Howarth, P. , (eds.) Socio-Cultural issues in English for Academic Purposes. MEP in association with the British Council pp. 74-85.