Dr Michael Daller
Convenor of the Vocabulary Special Interest Group (SIG) of the British Association for Applied Linguists (2013 - present).
Areas of interestHis main areas of interest are bilingualism, language testing, vocabulary and the prediction of study success of international students. He is currently involved in two projects at Flinders University, Australia, where he develops language tests that can be used to predict the study success of international trainees at a nursing school in Australia.
This is linked to a project that he is carrying out with Yixin Wang on the prediction of study success of Chinese student at universities in the UK. Together with Zehra Ongun he is carrying out a project on the development of bilingual children in the UK and the relation of their vocabulary sizes in both languages and their general cognitive abilities.
Postgraduate supervisionCurrently supervises five PhD students.
- Research Methods at master's level and PhD level.
- Vocabulary knowledge and assessment (M-level).
Research centres and groups
- Member of the Centre for Literacy and Multilingualism at the University of Reading.
- Member of the Languages and Linguistics Research Division.
- Daller, M. , Müller, A. , Wang-Taylor, Y. (2020) The C-test as predictor of the academic success of international students. International Journal of Bilingual Education and Bilingualism ISSN: 1747-7522 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/13670050.2020.1747975
- Daller, M. (2020) Turkish heritage speakers in Germany: vocabulary knowledge in German and Turkish. Studies in Turkish as a Heritage Language. John Benjamins , Amsterdam/Philadelphia. ISBN: 9789027207937
- Daller, M. (2019) The persistence of L1 patterns in SLA: incidental learning and the boundary crossing constraint. Vigo International Journal of Applied Linguistics , 16 pp. 81-106. ISSN: 1697-0381 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.35869/vial.v0i16.94
- Zhang, J. and Daller, M. (2019) Lexical richness of Chinese candidates in the graded oral English examinations. Applied Linguistics Review ISSN: 1868-6311 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1515/applirev-2018-0004
- Daller, M. (2019) Predicting international students' clinical and academic grades using two language tests (IELTS and C-test): a correlational research study. Nurse Education Today , 72 pp. 6-11. ISSN: 0260-6917 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2018.10.007
- Daller, M. and Ongun, Z. (2018) The threshold hypothesis revisited: bilingual lexical knowledge and non-verbal IQ development. International Journal of Bilingualism , 22 (6). pp. 675-694. ISSN: 1756-6878 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/1367006917690835
- Daller, M. and Wang, Y. (2017) Predicting study success of international students. Applied Linguistics Review , 8 (4). pp. 355-374. ISSN: 1868-6311 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1515/applirev-2016-2013
- Treffers-Daller, J. , Daller, M. , Furman, R. , Rothman, J. (2016) Ultimate attainment in the use of lexical collocations among heritage speakers of Turkish in Germany and Turkish-German returnees. Bilingualism: Language and Cognition , 19 (3). pp. 504-519. ISSN: 1469-1841 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/S1366728915000139