Dr Erhan Aslan
Director of BA Programme in English Language and Linguistics
Departmental Director of Teaching and Learning (undergraduate)
Areas of interest
Erhan's main research and teaching areas of expertise are second language learning, teaching, and use as well as computer-mediated communication in social and educational Web 2.0 environments.
Recently, Erhan has been studying the language of internet memes, particularly how these particular multimodal digital texts are derived from viral media events and the particular cultural, humorous, political or ideological meanings internet users construct and convey through them.
In addition, Erhan has published research on individual differences in second language learning, particularly beliefs about language learning and foreign language anxiety, language teacher cognition and identities as well as issues related to pragmatics and cultural issues in language learning and teaching. He is currently working on a British Academy funded project (Newton Fund) focusing on research and training in intercultural communication in foreign language teacher education.
Postgraduate supervisionErhan currently supervises five PhD students. He is happy to consider supervising research on language learning/teaching and technology, digital discourse and communication, L2 pragmatics, and intercultural communication.
Erhan teaches the following modules:
- LSMNT/R: New Technologies in Language Learning and Teaching
- LSMIC: Intercultural Communication (on-campus)
- LSMDSP: Spoken Language (distance)
- LSMDIN: Intercultural Communication (distance).
Research centres and groups
- Centre for Literacy and Multilingualism
BackgroundBefore joining the University of Reading, Erhan taught English as a second/foreign language for several years both in Turkey and the United States. He was the proud recipient of the widely recognized and prestigious Fulbright Grant as well as the TESOL International Organization's Research Mini-Grant.
- PhD in Second Language Acquisition and Instructional Technology (University of South Florida, USA)
- MA in Applied Linguistics and Second Language Studies (Texas Tech University, USA)
- BA in English Linguistics (Hacettepe University, Turkey)
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
- Aslan, E. (2021) When the internet Gets ‘Coronafied’: pandemic creativity and humour in internet memes. In: Jones, R. , (eds.) Viral Discourse. Elements in applied linguistics Cambridge University Press , Cambridge. ISBN: 9781108986465 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/9781108986465
- Vasquez, C. and Aslan, E. (2021) “Cats be outside, how about meow”: multimodal humor and creativity in an internet meme. Journal of Pragmatics , 171 pp. 101-117. ISSN: 0378-2166 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.pragma.2020.10.006
- Aslan, E. (2020) Perceptions of pragmatics in EIL: voices from scholars and teachers. In: Tajeddin, Z. and Alemi, M. , (eds.) Pragmatics Pedagogy in English as an International Language. Routledge ISBN: 9780367563288
- Jones, R. , Jaworska, S. , Aslan, E. (2020) Language and media: a resource book for students. Routledge English Language Introductions Routledge , Abington, Oxon.
- Aslan, E. (2020) ‘Oiling the social wheels’ in an undergraduate chemistry lab: an ITA’s participation in small talk. Classroom Discourse , 11 (3). pp. 252-271. ISSN: 1946-3022 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/19463014.2019.1585891
- Ciftci, H. and Aslan, E. (2019) Computer-mediated communication in the L2 writing process: a review of studies between 2000 and 2017. International Journal of Computer Assisted Language Learning and Teaching , 9 (2). ISSN: 2155-7098 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.4018/IJCALLT.2019040102
- Aslan, E. and Ciftci, H. (2019) Synthesizing research on learner perceptions of CMC use in EFL/ESL writing. The CALICO Journal , 36 (2). pp. 100-118. ISSN: 2056-9017 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1558/cj.34818
- Aslan, E. and Thompson, A. (2018) The interplay between learner beliefs and foreign language anxiety: insights from the Turkish EFL context. Language Learning Journal ISSN: 1753-2167 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/09571736.2018.1540649
- Aslan, E. and Vásquez, C. (2018) 'Cash me ousside': a citizen sociolinguistic analysis of online metalinguistic commentary. Journal of Sociolinguistics , 22 (4). pp. 406-431. ISSN: 1360-6441 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/josl.12303
- Binasfour, H. , Setter, J. , Aslan, E. (2017) Enhancing L2 learners’ perception and production of the Arabic emphatic sounds.
- Aslan, E. (2017) Doing away with the ‘native speaker’: a complex adaptive systems approach to L2 phonological attainment. Language Learning Journal , 45 (4). pp. 447-465. ISSN: 1753-2167 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/09571736.2014.934271
- Aslan, E. and Thompson, A. (2017) Are they really “two different species”? Implicitly elicited student perceptions About NESTs and NNESTs. TESOL Journal , 8 (2). pp. 277-294. ISSN: 1949-3533 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/tesj.268
- Aslan, E. (2017) The impact of face systems on the pragmalinguistic features of academic e-mail requests. Pragmatics and Society , 8 (1). pp. 61-84. ISSN: 1878-9714 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1075/ps.8.1.04asl
- Aslan, E. (2016) International teaching assistants in the US university classroom: a mixed-methods study of individual differences and L2 pragmatic competence.
- Aslan, E. and Thompson, A. (2016) Native and non-native speaker teachers: contextualizing perceived differences in the Turkish EFL setting. LIF – Language in Focus Journal , 2 (1). pp. 87-102. ISSN: 2300-9764 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1515/lifijsal-2016-0005
- Thompson, A. and Aslan, E. (2015) Multilingualism, perceived positive language interaction (PPLI), and learner beliefs: what do Turkish students believe?. International Journal of Multilingualism , 12 (3). pp. 259-275. ISSN: 1747-7530 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/14790718.2014.973413
- Aslan, E. (2015) When the native is also a non-native: “retrodicting” the complexity of language teacher cognition. Canadian Modern Language Review , 71 (3). pp. 244-269. ISSN: 1710-1131 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.3138/cmlr.2575
- Farley, A. and Aslan, E. (2012) The relative effects of processing instruction and meaning-based output instruction on L2 acquisition of the English subjunctive. ELT Research Journal , 1 (2). pp. 120-141. ISSN: 2146-9814