Professor Libby Schweber
Building locationChancellor's Building
Areas of interest
Net Zero Carbon
Standards and Assessment tools
Jedidiah Oru-Bo: Decarbonisation of the UK food system
Kirk Maritshane: The design and construction of social houses in Botswana: the role of state-owned firms
CEM10A Research Skills (PGT)
CEM10B Dissertation (PGT)
Research centres and groups
Carbon Artifacts: a socio-material approach to low and net zero carbon building design from concept to handover. October 2022-October 2024. Principal Investigator.
As a sociologist, my research focuses on the implementation of sustainable technologies, management tools, standards and assessment tools at the project level (with some reflection on broader implications). As a sociologist, I draw on theories from Management Studies, Organization Studies and Science and Technology Studies. My teaching expertise is in the area of research methods and social theory, as well as in the delivery and assessment of sustainable buildings. I supervise PhD’s in these areas and convene the MSc Research Skills and Dissertation modules.
2018 Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice (University of Reading)
1996 PhD in Sociology (Princeton University)
1981 BA in Sociology (Harvard University)
- Schweber, L. and Chow, V. (2023) Theory and the contribution of qualitative research to construction management research. In: Leiringer, R. and Dainty, A. , (eds.) A Research Agenda for Construction Management. Elgar Research Agendas Elgar ISBN: 9781800375444
- Jefferies, D. and Schweber, L. (2022) Professional judgement: an institutional logic approach to contractor tender pricing. Buildings and Cities , 3 (1). pp. 518-533. ISSN: 2362-6655 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.5334/bc.204
- Schweber, L. (2017) Jack-in-the-black-box: using Foucault to explore the embeddedness and reach of building level assessment method. Energy Research & Social Science , 34 pp. 294-304. ISSN: 2214-6296 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.erss.2017.08.005
- Boyd, P. and Schweber, L. (2017) Unintended Consequences: institutional artifacts, closure mechanisms and the performance gap. Building Research and Information , 46 (1). pp. 10-22. ISSN: 1466-4321 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/09613218.2017.1331096
- Kurokawa, M. , Schweber, L. , Hughes, W. (2017) Client engagement and building design: the view from actor network theory. Building Research and Information , 45 (8). pp. 910-925. ISSN: 1466-4321 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/09613218.2016.1230692
- Boyd, P. and Schweber, L. (2016) How did we get opaque windows? - Mutual constitution of technology and the built environment. In: Nenonen, S. and Junnonen, J. , (eds.) Proceedings of the CIB World Building Congress 2016: Understanding impacts and functioning of different solutions. , IV. Tampere University of Technology pp. 693-705. ISSN: 1797-8904 ISBN: 9789521537448 (ISSN: 1797-8904)
- Kurokawa, M. , Schweber, L. , Hughes, W. (2015) Tracing client interests in the course of a project: why are some client interests incorporated whereas others are not?. pp. 743-752.
- Schweber, L. (2015) Putting theory to work: the use of theory in construction research. Construction Management and Economics , 33 (10). pp. 840-860. ISSN: 1466-433X | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/01446193.2015.1133918
- Boyd, P. , Larsen, G. , Schweber, L. (2015) The co-development of technology and new buildings: incorporating building integrated photovoltaics. Construction Management and Economics , 33 (5-6). pp. 349-360. ISSN: 0144-6193 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/01446193.2015.1074262
- Schweber, L. , Lees, T. , Torriti, J. (2015) Framing evidence: policy design for the zero carbon home. Building Research and Information , 43 (4). pp. 420-434. ISSN: 1466-4321 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/09613218.2015.1004658
- Kabiri, S. , Hughes, W. , Schweber, L. (2014) Role conflict in project team dynamics.
- Kurokawa, M. , Schweber, L. , Hughes, W. (2014) Incorporation of different and changing client interests in the course of a project. pp. 925-934.
- Boyd, P. , Larsen, G. , Schweber, L. (2014) Perspectives on the specification of Building Integrated Photovoltaic (BIPV) technology in construction projects.
- Schweber, L. (2014) The cultural role of science in policy implementation: Voluntary self-regulation in the UK building sector. In: Frickel, S. and Hess, D. , (eds.) Fields of Knowledge: Science, Politics and Publics in the Neoliberal Age. Political Power and Social Theory Emerald (27). , Bingley, UK. pp. 157-191. ISBN: 9781783506682 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1108/S0198-871920140000027014
- Schweber, L. and Haroglu, H. (2014) Comparing the fit between BREEAM assessment and design processes. Building Research and Information , 42 (3). pp. 300-317. ISSN: 1466-4321 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/09613218.2014.889490
- Schweber, L. (2013) The effect of BREEAM on clients and construction professionals. Building Research and Information , 41 (2). pp. 1-17. ISSN: 1466-4321 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/09613218.2013.768495
- Kabiri, S. , Hughes, W. , Schweber, L. (2012) Role conflict and role ambiguity in construction projects. pp. 727-736.
- Boyd, P. and Schweber, L. (2012) Variations in the mainstreaming of sustainability: a case study approach. pp. 1343-1354.
- Schweber, L. and Leiringer, R. (2012) Beyond the technical: a snapshot of energy and buildings research. Building Research and Information , 40 (4). pp. 481-492. ISSN: 0961-3218 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/09613218.2012.675713
- Leiringer, R. and Schweber, L. (2010) Managing multiple markets: big firms and PFI contracts. Building Research and Information , 38 (2). pp. 131-143. ISSN: 0961-3218 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/09613210903027147
- Schweber, L. and Harty, C. (2010) Actors and objects: A socio-technical networks approach for construction management research. Construction Management and Economics , 28 (6). pp. 657-674. ISSN: 0144-6193 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/01446191003702468
- Green, . and Schweber, . (2008) Forum theorizing in the context of professional practice: The case for middle-range theories . Building Research and Information , 36 (6). pp. 649-654. ISSN: 1466-4321 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/09613210802423512
- Schweber, L. (2006) Disciplining statistics: demography and vital statistics in France and England, 1830–1885. Duke University Press pp 288. ISBN: 9780822338147