Dr Emmanuel Essah
- Undergraduate Programmes Director
- Module Convenor: Building Simulation Module (master's)
- Labs and workshop activities
Areas of interest
Emmanuel has specific research interests in the effects of airflows and ventilation on moisture transfer within buildings; on energy conservation; and on the consequent implications for the risks and impacts arising from condensation formation in buildings.
Other research interests include:
- energy demand and management
- solar energy systems and technologies, and how outputs from photovoltaic modules can be maximised
- biophilia of indoor environment and building services design.
Research centres and groups
- Innovative and Sustainable Technologies (IST)
- Energy and Environmental Engineering Research Group.
- BSc (Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST))
- MSc (Reading)
- PhD (Glasgow Caledonian)
- PG Academic Practice (University of Reading).
- Visiting Associate Professor, National Centre for International Research of Low-carbon and Green Buildings, Ministry of Science & Technology, PR China and of the Joint International Research Laboratory of Green Buildings and Built Environments, Ministry of Education, PR China
- Member, International Advisory Board for the Journal of Design and Built Environment (JDBE), University of Malaya, Malaysia
- Reviewer, Building and Environment, Building Engineering, Energy in Buildings, Energy Policy, Sustainable Cities and Society, Scientific Committee Member of West Africa Building and Environmental Research
- Member, The Institute of Physics
- Member, Energy Institute
- Fellow, Higher Education Academy.
- Essah, Emmanuel. A., Sanders, Chris. H, Baker, Paul. and Sasic Kalagasidis, A. (2009). Condensation and moisture transport in cold roofs: effect of roof underlay. Journal of Building Research and Information. 37 (2), pp. 117-128
- Essah, E.A., Sanders, C.H., Baker, P.H and Kumaraperumal, A. (2009). Effects of varying ventilation, ceiling airtightness and underlay in a cold pitched roof - modelling and simulation. Proceedings of the 9th International Conference and Exhibition, Healthy Buildings 2009, Syracuse, NY, USA
- Essah, E.A., Sanders, C.H., Baker, P. Galbraith, G.H., and Sasic Kalagasidis, A. (2008). Simulating the energy benefits and reduction in condensation formation that is obtained from houses with Cold Pitched Roofs. Proceedings of the 8th Nordic Symposium on Building Physics, Technical University of Denmark in Lyngby, Denmark
- Kumaraperumal, A., Sanders, C.H., Baker, P.H., Galbraith, G.H., and Essah, E.A. (2008).Wind-Driven Rain distribution and its hygrothermal effects on two different types of building geometry. Proceedings of the 8th Nordic Symposium on Building Physics, Technical University of Denmark in Lyngby, Denmark
- Essah, E.A., Sanders, C.H., Galbraith, G.H., and McLean, R.C. (2006). Airflow between houses and their roofs. Proceedings of the 3rd International Building Physics Conference, Concordia University, Montreal-Canada. Research in Building Physics and Building Engineering
- Essah, E.A., Sanders, C.H., Baker, P.H., Galbraith, G.H., and McLean, R.C. (2006). Comparing experimental measurements and modelling of airflow patterns in a house and its loft space. Proceedings of the Healthy Buildings Conference, Lisbon
- Essah, E.A. and Sanders, C.H. (2006). Heat and moisture transport between houses and cold lofts - a combination of convection and diffusion. International Energy Agency, Annex 41: Whole building Heat, Air and Moisture response MOIST-ENG, Kyoto-Japan.
- Thomsit-Ireland, F. , Essah, E. , Hadley, P. , Blanuša, T. (2020) The impact of green facades and vegetative cover on the temperature and relative humidity within model buildings. Building and Environment , 181 ISSN: 0360-1323 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.buildenv.2020.107009
- Garraín, D. , Herrera, I. , Rodríguez-Serrano, I. , Lechón, Y. , Hepbasli, A. , Araz, M. , Biyik, E. , Yao, R. , Shahrestani, M. , Essah, E. , Shao, L. , Rico, E. , Lechón, J. , Oliveira, A. (2020) Sustainability indicators of a naturally ventilated photovoltaic façade system. Journal of Cleaner Production , 266 ISSN: 0959-6526 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2020.121946
- Essah, E. , Russell, S. , Waring, S. , Fergusonc, J. , Williams, C. , Walsh, K. , Dyer, S. , Raynor, R. (2020) Method for evaluating the snagging propensity of roofing membranes in buildings by roosting bats. Building Research & Information ISSN: 1466-4321 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/09613218.2020.1763773
- Hähn, N. , Essah, E. , Blanusa, T. (2020) Biophilic design and office planting: a case study of effects on perceived health, well-being and performance metrics in the workplace. Intelligent Buildings International ISSN: 1750-8975 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/17508975.2020.1732859
- Ming, R. , Yu, W. , Zhao, X. , Liu, Y. , Li, B. , Essah, E. , Yao, R. (2020) Assessing energy saving potentials of office buildings based on adaptive thermal comfort using a tracking-based method. Energy and Buildings , 208 ISSN: 0378-7788 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.enbuild.2019.109611
- Essah, E. and Gregory, J. (2019) Investigating the indoor environmental quality of a-state-of-the-art tennis dome at a University campus in UK.
- Li, B. , Cheng, Z. , Yao, R. , Wang, H. , Yu, W. , Bu, Z. , Xiong, J. , Zhang, T. , Essah, E. , Luo, Z. , Shahrestani, M. , Kipen, H. (2019) An investigation of formaldehyde concentration in residences and the development of a model for the prediction of its emission rates. Building and Environment , 147 pp. 540-550. ISSN: 0360-1323 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.buildenv.2018.10.045
- Ng, S. and Essah, E. (2018) Post occupancy evaluation of a sports pavilion within an educational establishment. (Indoor air conference proceedings)
- Wyllie, J. , Essah, E. , Ofetotse, E. (2018) Barriers of solar energy uptake and the potential for mitigation solutions in Barbados. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews , 91 pp. 935-949. ISSN: 1364-0321 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2018.04.100
- Costanzo, V. , Yao, R. , Essah, E. , Shao, L. , Shahrestani, M. , Oliveira, A. , Araz, M. , Hepbasli, A. , Biyik, E. (2018) A method of strategic evaluation of energy performance of Building Integrated Photovoltaic in the urban context. Journal of Cleaner Production , 184 pp. 82-91. ISSN: 0959-6526 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2018.02.139
- Li, B. , Du, C. , Tan, M. , Liu, H. , Essah, E. , Yao, R. (2018) A modified method of evaluating the impact of air humidity on human acceptable air temperatures in hot-humid environments. Energy and Buildings , 158 pp. 393-405. ISSN: 0378-7788 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.enbuild.2017.09.062
- Araz, M. , Hepbasli, A. , Biyik, E. , Shahrestani, M. , Yao, R. , Essah, E. , Shao, L. , Oliveira, A. , Ekren, O. , Günerhan, H. (2017) Performance evaluation of a building integrated photovoltaic (BIPV) system combined with a wastewater source heat pump (WWSHP) system. Energy Procedia , 140 pp. 434-446. ISSN: 1876-6102 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.egypro.2017.11.155
- Leong, X. and Essah, E. (2017) Bridging the gap between energy consumption and the indoor environmental quality of a 1960s-educational building. Energy Procedia , 132 pp. 87-92. ISSN: 1876-6102 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.egypro.2017.09.643
- Biyik, E. , Araz, M. , Hepbasli, A. , Shahrestani, M. , Yao, R. , Shao, L. , Essah, E. , Oliveira, A. , del Caño, T. , Rico, E. , Lechón, J. , Andrade, L. , Mendes, A. , Atlı, Y. (2017) A key review of building integrated photovoltaic (BIPV) systems. Engineering Science and Technology, an International Journal , 20 (3). pp. 833-858. ISSN: 2215-0986 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jestch.2017.01.009
- Shahrestani, M. , Yao, R. , Essah, E. , Shao, L. , Oliveira, A. , Hepbasli, A. , Biyik, E. , Caño, T. , Rico, E. , Lechón, J. (2017) Experimental and numerical studies to assess the energy performance of naturally ventilated PV façade systems. Solar Energy , 147 pp. 37-51. ISSN: 0038-092X | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.solener.2017.02.034
- Essah, E. , Yao, R. , Short, A. (2017) Assessing stack ventilation strategies in the continental climate of Beijing using CFD simulations. International Journal of Ventilation , 16 (1). pp. 61-80. ISSN: 1473-3315 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/14733315.2016.1203609
- Waring, S. and Essah, E. (2016) Morphometric analysis of body and claw dimensions of building dwelling UK bat species: to aid knowledge of bat interactions with roosting surfaces. Acta Chiropterologica , 18 (2). pp. 527-534. ISSN: 1508-1109 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.3161/15081109ACC2016.18.2.019
- Essah, E. , Kwawu, W. , Motsatsi, L. (2016) Indoor microclimate in a South Africa School: impact of indoor environmental factors.
- Elliston, V. and Essah, E. (2016) Assessing how retrofit of traditional buildings impacts indoor environment and occupant’s thermal comfort.
- Thomsit-Ireland, F. , Blanusa, T. , Essah, E. , Hadley, P. (2016) Controlling ivy attachment to wall surfaces by applying paints, metal meshes and sheets. Journal of Living Architecture , 3 (1). pp. 1-14.
- Mudie, S. , Essah, E. , Grandison, A. , Felgate, R. (2016) Electricity use in the commercial kitchen. International Journal of Low Carbon Technologies , 11 (1). pp. 66-74. ISSN: 1748-1325 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/ijlct/ctt068
- Essah, E. and Kwawu, W. (2015) Methods to assess the effectiveness of naturally ventilated classrooms in Gauteng, South Africa. pp. 799-814.
- Burgess, P. , Vahdati, M. , Essah, E. (2015) Investigation of the accuracy of historical irradiance products and interannual variability of solar irradiance using Met Office ground data. IET Renewable Power Generation , 9 (5). pp. 405-411. ISSN: 1752-1416 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1049/iet-rpg.2014.0386
- Ofetotse, E. , Essah, E. , Yao, R. (2015) Trends in domestic electricity consumption in Botswana. TMC Academic Journal , 9 (2). pp. 83-104. ISSN: 1793-6020
- Mahyuddin, N. , Awbi, H. , Essah, E. (2015) Computational fluid dynamics modelling of the air movement in an environmental test chamber with a respiring manikin. Journal of Building Performance Simulation , 8 (5). pp. 359-374. ISSN: 1940-1493 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/19401493.2014.956672
- Ntshwene, K. , Essah, E. , Dixon, T. (2014) Investigating the level of awareness of building assessment tools in the construction industry of Botswana. Proceedings 30th Annual ARCOM Conference pp. 23-32.
- Ofetotse, E. , Essah, E. , Yao, R. (2014) Identifying trends in domestic electricity consumption in Botswana.
- Essah, E. and Waring, S. (2014) Effect of "Pollutants" on the functionality of breathable roofing membranes in a bat roost.
- Essah, E. , Rodriguez Arguelles, A. , Glover, N. (2014) Assessing the performance of a building integrated BP c-Si PV system. Renewable Energy , 73 pp. 36-45. ISSN: 0960-1481 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2014.04.002
- Essah, E. and Ofetotse, E. (2014) Energy supply, consumption and access dynamics in Botswana. Sustainable Cities and Society , 12 pp. 76-84. ISSN: 2210-6707 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.scs.2014.01.006
- Ofetotse, E. , Essah, E. , Yao, R. (2013) Domestic energy models: complexities in defining specific tools.
- Essah, E. , Glover, N. , Rodriguez Arguelles, A. (2013) Performance of a BP c-Si building Integrated PV system after 15years of installation.
- Mudie, S. , Essah, E. , Grandison, A. , Felgate, R. (2013) Electricity use in the commercial kitchen. APEC Conference on low Carbon Towns and Energy Storage
- Waring, S. , Essah, E. , Gunnell, K. , Bonser, R. (2013) Double jeopardy: the potential for problems when bats interact with breathable roofing membranes in the United Kingdom. Architecture & Environment , 1 (1). pp. 1-13. ISSN: 2329-2296 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.12966/ae.5.1.2013
- Mudie, S. , Essah, E. , Grandison, A. , Felgate, R. (2013) Energy benchmarking in commercial kitchens.
- Mudie, S. , Essah, E. , Grandison, A. , Felgate, R. (2013) Benchmarking energy use in licensed restaurants and pubs.
- Saker, D. , Millward, M. , Vahdati, M. , Essah, E. (2012) Uncovering the potential of domestic demand side management to maximise the diffuions of renewable energy.
- Burgess, P. , Vahdati, M. , Essah, E. , Davies, D. , Phillip, S. (2012) Progress toward a virtual pyranometer for low cost performance monitoring of PV systems.
- Burgess, P. , Vahdati, M. , Essah, E. , Philip, S. , Davies, D. (2012) Development of a virtual pyranometer for performance monitoring of PV systems.
- Waring, S. , Essah, E. , Gunnell, K. , Bonser, R. (2012) Breathable roofing membranes and bats: interactions, outcomes and predictions .
- Essah, E. (2012) Domestic cold pitched roofs in the UK: - effect of using different roof insulation materials. International Journal of Ventilation , 11 (3). pp. 281-286. ISSN: 2044-4044
- Almatawa, M. , Elmualim, A. , Essah, E. (2012) Passive and active hybrid approach to buildings design in Saudi Arabia.
- Ofetotse, E. and Essah, E. (2012) Energy overview of Botswana: generation and consumption. pp. 1011-1021.
- Essah, E. (2011) Measurements and modelling of airflows in houses using passive sampling and HAM software.
- Hadjipanagi, S. and Essah, E. (2011) Modelling and measurements of a polycrystalline BIPV roof after ten years of installation.
- Essah, E. (2011) Energy generation and consumption in Ghana. West Africa Built Environment Research (WABER) Conference pp. 391-401. ISSN: 978-0-9566060-1-3
- Essah, E. (2010) Building integration photovoltaic module with reference to Ghana: using triple junction amorphous silicon. pp. 203-214.
- Essah, E. (2010) Principles and calibration of solid phase microextraction fibre (passive sampler) for measurements of airflow and air infiltration in dwellings. International Journal of Ventilation , 9 (2). pp. 115-130. ISSN: 1473-3315
- Essah, E. , Baker, P. , Sanders, C. , Sasic Kalagasidis, A. (2009) Condensation and moisture transport in cold roofs: effect of roof underlay. Journal of Building Research and Information , 37 (2). pp. 117-128. ISSN: 1466-4321 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/09613210802645973