Dr Dragana Nikolic
Areas of interest
Understanding how digital tools and advanced simulation technologies (e.g. virtual and augmented reality, digital and rapid prototyping) may improve visualisation of design concepts, and decision-making processes for architecture, engineering and construction.
Additional areas of interest include building information modelling (BIM) concepts, game theory, and engineering education.
Research centres and groups
I received a PhD degree in Architectural Engineering and MSc in Architecture, both from Pennsylvania State University. Before my graduate studies, I was a practicing architect in Serbia after obtaining my undergraduate degree from the University of Belgrade.
To date, my work has been focused on advanced digital and visualisation technologies to support and improve design and construction. I continue to investigate pedagogical methodologies and create digital teaching tools to bring more active and experiential learning of construction management and engineering challenges.
Both my doctoral and postdoctoral work on the Virtual Construction Simulator Game project done at Penn State with Dr John Messner were funded by the NSF, with its second grant awarded in 2012.
As I am starting new and exciting work with the University of Reading, I continue to work on high-end visualisation technologies to support both the construction industry and education.
- Dipl.Eng. in Architecture, University of Belgrade, Serbia, 2003
- MArch, The Pennsylvania State University, 2006
- PhD, The Pennsylvania State University, 2011.
- Reviewer, EES Journal of Building Engineering
- Reviewer, ASCE Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering
- AI EDAM Artificial Intelligence for Engineering Design, Analysis and Manufacturing
- BRI Building Research & Information Scientific Committee member for CIBW78 2018
Associate Member, American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE).
- Castronovo, F. , Nikolic, D. , Mastrolembo, V. , Shroff, V. , Nguyen, A. , Nguyen, H. , Yilmaz, S. , Akhavian, R. , Gaedicke, C. (2019) Design and development of a virtual reality educational game for architectural and construction reviews.
- Callway, R. , Dixon, T. , Nikolic, D. (2019) Embedding green infrastructure evaluation in neighbourhood masterplans – does BREEAM Communities change anything?. Journal of Environmental Planning and Management , 62 (14). pp. 2478-2505. ISSN: 0964-0568 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/09640568.2018.1563371
- Callway, R. , Dixon, T. , Nikolic, D. (2019) Lost in transition? Examining green infrastructure evaluation in neighbourhood master planning. Town and Country Planning pp. 185-191. ISSN: 0040-9960
- Nikolic, D. and Leicht, R. (2018) Teaching effective collaborative information delivery and management. pp. 841-849.
- Whyte, J. and Nikolić, D. , eds. (2018) Virtual Reality and the Built Environment. 2nd edition. Routledge , Abingdon. pp 152. ISBN: 9781138668768
- Maftei, L. , Nikolic, D. , Whyte, J. (2018) Challenges around integrating collaborative immersive technologies into a large infrastructure engineering project. Proceedings CIB W78 2018 pp. 315-321. (ISBN 9783030002206)
- Ofori-Darko, J. , Nikolic, D. , Harty, C. (2018) Team interactions in digitally-mediated design meetings. pp. 247-254.
- Callway, R. , Dixon, T. , Nikolic, D. (2016) BREEAM communities: challenges for sustainable neighbourhood evaluation.
- Nikolic, D. , Lee, S. , Zappe, S. , Messner, J. (2015) Integrating simulation games into construction curricula: the VCS3 case study. International Journal of Engineering Education , 31 (6). pp. 1661-1677. ISSN: 0949-149X
- Lee, S. , Nikolic, D. , Messner, J. (2014) Framework of the Virtual Construction Simulator 3 for construction planning and management education. Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering , 29 (2). ISSN: 1943-5487 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)CP.1943-5487.0000388
- Castronovo, F. , Nikolic, D. , Zappe, S. , Leicht, R. , Messner, J. (2014) Enhancement of learning objectives in construction engineering education: a step toward simulation assessment. Construction Research Congress, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1061/9780784413517.035
- Nikolic, D. , Jaruhar, S. , Messner, J. (2012) Closure to 'educational simulation in construction: virtual construction simulator'. Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering , 26 (6). pp. 805-806. ISSN: 0887-3801 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)CP.1943-5487.0000231
- Nikolic, D. and Messner, J. (2012) Measuring the value of “all play and no work”: can rigorous assessment of simulation games drive innovative teaching in construction?. Construction Research Congress pp. 2101-2110. | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1061/9780784412329.211
- Nikolic, D. , Jaruhar, S. , Messner, J. (2011) Educational simulation in construction: the virtual construction simulator. Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering , 25 (6). pp. 421-429. ISSN: 0887-3801 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)CP.1943-5487.0000098
- Lee, S. , Nikolic, D. , Messner, J. , Anumba, C. (2011) The development of the Virtual Construction Simulator 3: an interactive simulation environment for construction management education. International Workshop on Computing in Civil Engineering pp. 454-461. | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1061/41182(416)56
- Nikolic, D. , Messner, J. , Lee, S. , Anumba, C. (2010) The Virtual Construction Simulator: development of an educational simulation game. Proceedings of the International Conference on Computing in Civil and Building Engineering 2010, Nottingham, UK
- Nikolic, D. , Lee, S. , Messner, J. , Anumba, C. (2010) The virtual construction simulator–evaluating an educational simulation application for teaching construction management concepts. Applications of IT in the AEC Industry: Proceeding of the 27th International Conference - CIB W78
- Balakrishnan, B. , Nikolic, D. , Zikic, N. (2007) "Where am I?" Impact of display and content variables on spatial presence and comprehension in virtual environments. Annual Meeting of the International Communication Association, San Francisco, CA
- Kalisperis, L. , Muramoto, K. , Balakrishnan, B. , Nikolic, D. , Zikic, N. (2006) Evaluating relative impact of virtual reality system variables on architectural design comprehension and presence - A variable-centered approach using fractional factorial experiment. Communicating Space(s) - 24th eCAADe Conference Proceedings, Volos, Greece pp. 66-73.