Tailor your degree to your interests as you join our internationally recognised experts on a fascinating journey of new discoveries and knowledge.
You will have the opportunity to focus on the topics and periods in which you're most interested. Our flexible courses are designed to provide you with a balance of theory and practice, and you'll acquire an impressive range of subject-specific and transferable skills.
We offer two single honours degrees (BA Archaeology and BSc Archaeological Science) and you also have the opportunity to combine archaeology with a range of other subjects, such as Anthropology, Classics, History, Geography and Museum Studies.
A global outlook
All of our lives are affected by issues of major global significance, such as climate change, cultural diversity, disease and ageing.
Archaeology at Reading addresses all of these by examining human development over the past millennia, which helps us understand how the big issues of the day have roots in the past, or how previous cultures have tackled the same problems.
Varied teaching methods
Our archaeological experts utilise a diverse range of teaching techniques. You'll learn about – and debate – interpretations of the past. You'll create new knowledge and learn new skills as you excavate and survey in the field, and analyse material in the laboratory.
Work experience while you study
Develop your skills, gain direct experience and cultivate a network of contacts through a wide range of placement and volunteering opportunities. You can even spend a full year on a work placement with our new four-year programme.
A foundation for your career
You will be perfectly placed to pursue the career of your choice; acquiring skills in humanities and sciences, you'll benefit from a broad range of abilities and experiences that are highly sought after by employers.
Our BA Archaeology & BSc Archaeological Science courses are accredited by the Chartered Institute for Archaeologists (CIfA) and are amongst the first recognised as providing key skills relevant to careers in the historic environment.
Experience a new culture while abroad
You will be immersed in different cultures and different points of view on your course. You'll have opportunities to volunteer on overseas projects, as well as the chance to study outside the UK at one of our partner universities.
All our courses are also offered as four-year degrees with a year of professional experience or study abroad. You can apply directly to your preferred course with the option to transfer at a later date.
- BSc Archaeological Science
- BSc Archaeological Science with Professional Placement
- BSc Archaeological Science with Study Year Abroad
- BA Ancient History and Archaeology
- BA Ancient History and Archaeology with Professional Placement
- BA Ancient History and Archaeology with Study Year Abroad
- BA Archaeology and Classical Studies
- BA Archaeology and Classical Studies with Professional Placement
- BA Archaeology and Classical Studies with Study Year Abroad
- BA Archaeology and History
- BA Archaeology and History with Professional Placement
- BA Archaeology and History with Study Year Abroad
- BA Archaeology and Anthropology
- BA Archaeology and Anthropology with Professional Placement
- BA Archaeology and Anthropology with Study Year Abroad
- BSc Geography and Archaeology
- BSc Geography and Archaeology with Professional Placement
- BSc Geography and Archaeology with Study Year Abroad
- BA Museum Studies and Archaeology
- BA Museum Studies and Archaeology with Professional Placement
- BA Museum Studies and Archaeology with Study Year Abroad
- BA Museum Studies and Archaeology with International Foundation Year - September Entry
- BA Museum Studies and Archaeology with International Foundation Year - January Entry
International Foundation Year Programme
If you want to study museum studies and archaeology at a British university but don't have the correct qualifications, our four-year BA Museum Studies and Archaeology with International Foundation Year programme enables you to undertake an undergraduate museum studies and archaeology degree.
Looking for 2021/22 courses?
If you would like to start studying Archaeology at the University of Reading in 2021, please view our 2021/22 undergraduate courses.
Come to an Open Day
Get a real feel for university life, meet Archaeology staff and students, join in some hands-on sessions, and explore our state-of-the-art facilities.