Professor Sue Walker
- Director, Arts and Humanities Research Council (AHRC)-funded Design Star Doctoral Training Centre, based at Reading, working with colleagues at Brighton, Goldsmiths, Loughborough and the Open University.
- Research Division (co-)Lead, Typography & Graphic Communication
- Department Director of Collections and Archives, overseeing and encouraging the use of collections and archives in teaching and research.
- I teach undergraduate and postgraduate students in design practice and lecture on the theory and history of typography and graphic communication.
OfficeRoom D2, Typography & Graphic Communication
Building locationWhiteknights campus (Building 21, TOB2)
Areas of interest
My research interests include analysis and description of graphic language, in particular the relationship between prescription and practice in everyday documents,
Postgraduate supervisionI supervise doctoral students in subjects relating to the history and theory of typography and graphic communication, including Isotype, children's books, and the graphic aspects of language. I welcome enquiries from students keen to work with the University's collections and archives as part of their PhD project.
I am currently working on projects about communicating information about antimicrobial resistance (AMR). "Information design and architecture in persuasive pharmacy space: combating AMR"(IDAPPS) is looking at how community pharmacies can be used to tell people about the risks and prevention of drug-resistant infections. A project on antibiotic resistance communication in Rwanda, funded by the University's GCRF Strategic Fund: Partnership Development Projects, involves work with local communities and pharmacies.
Transforming science: Marie Neurath and Isotype books for children" is an AHRC-funded impact and engagement project about science communication for young people. I am a co-investigator on "Emerging minds: action for child mental health", a network project led by Cathy Creswell, University of Oxford.
BackgroundFrom 2007 to 2011 I served as Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Humanities, having previously been Head of the Department of Typography & Graphic Communication from 1997 to 2007 and Head of the School of Arts and Communication Design from 2004 to 2007. I continue to work on projects across the University. I am an active participant in the Associate All Party Parliamentary Group on Design and Innovation and the Information Design Association.
Professional bodies/affiliationsI served in the Art and Design sub-panel for Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2008 and REF 2014, and have been re-appointed for REF 2021. I serve on the AHRC Strategic and Academic Peer Review Colleges. I am a member of the editorial board for Information Design Journal (Benjamins). In 2007, I was elected Fellow of the Design Research Society, and I am proud to be a member of the Double Crown Club.
- Walker, S. ORCID: 0000-0001-5942-1836 , Bravo, J. , Edwards, A. ORCID: 0000-0003-2369-989X , Hart, J. , Little, G. (2022) Instructions for COVID-19 self-tests: what parts of the test are the most difficult to get right and how can information design help?. Information Design Journal ISSN: 0142-5471
- Walker, S. ORCID: 0000-0001-5942-1836 (2022) Reading information: using graphic language to enhance engagement with children's books. In: Hagen, A. , (eds.) Mediation and children's reading: relationships, intervention and organization from the eighteenth century to the present. Lehigh University Press , Lanham, Maryland. pp. 125-145. ISBN: 9781611463262
- Schilhab, T. and Walker, S. , eds. (2020) The materiality of reading. Aarhus University Press pp 154. ISBN: 9788771849585
- Needs, S. , Bull, S. , Bravo, J. , Walker, S. ORCID: 0000-0001-5942-1836 , Little, G. , Hart, J. , Edwards, A. ORCID: 0000-0003-2369-989X (2020) Remote videolink observation of model home sampling and home testing devices to simplify usability studies for point-of-care diagnostics. Wellcome Open Research , 5 (174). ISSN: 2398-502X | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.12688/wellcomeopenres.16105.1
- Walker, S. , Hignett, S. , Lim, R. , Parkhurst, C. , Samuel, F. (2020) Explaining drug-resistant infection in community pharmacies through effective information design. Design for Health , 4 (1). pp. 82-104. ISSN: 2473-5132 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/24735132.2020.1731201
- Kindel, E. , Minns, E. , Nairne, K. , Odling-Smee, A. , Walker, S. (2019) Marie Neurath: Picturing Science.
- Walker, S. (2019) Effective antimicrobial resistance communication: the role of information design. Palgrave Communcations , 5 ISSN: 2055-1045 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1057/s41599-019-0231-z
- Walker, S. , Hignett, S. , Lim, R. , Parkhurst, C. , Samuel, F. , Mole, M. (2018) Design, architecture, pharmacy: making a difference to understanding anti-microbial resistance (AMR). (ISBN: 9781843874218)
- Walker, S. , Black, A. , Bessemans, A. , Bormans, K. , Renckens, M. , Barratt, M. (2018) Designing digital texts for beginner readers: performance, practice and process. In: Barzillai, M. , Thomson, J. , Schroeder, S. , Broek, P. , (eds.) Learning to read in a digital world. Studies in written language and literacy John Benjamins (17). , Amsterdam. pp. 31-56. ISBN: 9789027201225 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1075/swll.17.02wal
- Walker, S. (2018) Modernity, method and minimal means: typewriters, typing manuals and document design. Journal of Design History , 31 (2). pp. 138-153. ISSN: 1741-7279 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1093/jdh/epx018
- Walker, S. (2017) Research in graphic design. The Design Journal , 20 (5). pp. 549-559. ISSN: 1460-6925 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/14606925.2017.1347416
- Walker, S. (2017) Marie Neurath: designing information books for young people. In: Black, A. , Lund, O. , Luna, P. , Walker, S. , (eds.) Information design research and practice. Routledge pp. 117-126. ISBN: 9780415786324
- Black, A. , Luna, P. , Lund, O. , Walker, S. , eds. (2017) Information design: research and practice. Routledge , London. pp 600. ISBN: 9780415786324
- Walker, S. (2017) The contribution of typography and information design to health communication. In: Cooper, R. and Tsekleves, E. , (eds.) Design for health. Routledge pp. 92-109. ISBN: 9781472457424
- Burke, C. , Kindel, E. , Walker, S. , eds. (2013) Isotype: design and contexts 1925–1971. Hyphen Press , London. pp 554. ISBN: 9780907259473
- Walker, S. (2013) Book design for children's reading: typography, picture, print. St Bride Foundation , London. pp 224. ISBN: 9780950416137
- Walker, S. (2013) Graphic explanation for children, 1944-71. In: Burke, C. , Kindel, E. , Walker, S. , (eds.) Isotype: design and contexts, 1925-1971. Hyphen Press , London. pp. 390-437. ISBN: 9780907259473
- Walker, S. (2012) Describing the design of children’s books: an analytical approach. Visible Language , 46 (3). ISSN: 0022-2224
- Walker, S. (2011) Explaining history to children: Otto and Marie Neurath’s work on the ‘Visual history of mankind’ . Journal of Design History , 25 (4). pp. 345-362. ISSN: 1741-7279 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1093/jdh/eps031
- Walker, S. (2007) Letterforms for handwriting and reading: print script and sanserifs in early twentieth-century England. Typography papers. Typography papers Hyphen Press (7). pp. 81-114. ISBN: 9780907259336
- Reynolds, L. , Walker, S. , Duncan, A. (2006) Children's responses to line spacing in early reading books or "Holes to tell you which line you're on". Visible Language , 40 (3). pp. 246-267.
- Walker, S. (2005) The books that nobody sees: typography in children's reading books. Baseline (48). pp. 25-32. ISSN: 0954-9226
- Walker, S. , Connare, V. , Scaglione, J. (2005) Fabula: type design. University of Reading
- Walker, S. (2005) The songs the letters sing: typography and children's reading. National Centre for Language and Literacy , Reading. pp 23. ISBN: 9780704998469
- Walker, S. (2005) 'The books nobody sees': typography in children's reading books. Baseline , 48 pp. 25-32.
- Archer, C. , Walker, S. , Reynolds, L. (2004) Typography in nineteenth-century children's readers: the Otley connection. In: Mckay, B. , Hinks, J. , Bell, M. , (eds.) Light on the book trade: essays in honour of Peter Isaac. Print Networks British Library and Oak Knoll Press (6). , London. pp. 118-129. ISBN: 9780712347976
- Reynolds, L. and Walker, S. (2004) 'You can't see what the words say': word spacing and letter spacing in children's reading books. Journal of Research in Reading , 27 (1). pp. 87-98. ISSN: 0141-0423 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-9817.2004.00216.x
- Walker, S. and Reynolds, L. (2003) Serifs, sans serifs and infant characters in children’s reading books. Information Design Journal , 11 (2/3). pp. 106-122. ISSN: 1569-979X | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1075/idj.11.2.04wal
- Walker, S. (2003) The manners of the page: prescription and practice in the visual organisation of correspondence. Huntington Library Quarterly , 66 (3 & 4). pp. 307-329. ISSN: 1544-399X
- Walker, S. (2000) Leading the field or behind the times? Doctoral education in typography and graphic communication . In: Durling, D. and Friedman, K. , (eds.) Foundations for the future: doctoral education in design. Staffordshire University Press pp. 337-344.
- Walker, S. and Reynolds, L. (2000) Screen design for children’s reading. Journal of Research in Reading , 23 (2). pp. 224-234. ISSN: 1467-9817 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1111/1467-9817.00116
- Walker, S. (2000) Typography and language in everyday life: prescriptions and practices. Language in social life Longman , Harlow. pp 224. ISBN: 9780582357556
- Burke, C. and Walker, S. , eds. (1998) Typography papers, 3. Typography papers , 3. Department of Typography & Graphic Communication , Reading. pp 148. ISBN: 0-7049-1123-x
- Walker, S. (1998) Handwriting skills. In: Corson, D. and Edwards, V. , (eds.) The encyclopedia of language and education. Kluwer , Dordrecht. pp. 97-105. ISBN: 9780792345954
- Walker, S. , Edwards, V. , Blacksell, R. (1996) Designing bilingual books for children. Visible Language , 30 (3). ISSN: 0022-2224
- Walker, S. and Edwards, V. (1996) Some status issues in the translation of children’s books. Journal of Multilingual and Multicultural Development , 17 (5). pp. 339-348. ISSN: 1747-7557 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/01434639608666287
- Walker, S. and Edwards, V. (1995) Building bridges: multilingual resources for children. Multilingual Matters , Clevedon. pp 130. ISBN: 9781853592904