University of Reading cookie policy

We use cookies on reading.ac.uk to improve your experience, monitor site performance and tailor content to you.
Read our cookie policy to find out how to manage your cookie settings.


Tuition fees

Closeup of sums on a sheet of paper with a pen and calculator

PhD fees vary according to where you come from, whether you study full or part time, and where you are based during your degree. 

Alumni discounts

Doctoral student in cafe with a friend drinking coffee
If you've previously completed a degree with us, you’ll automatically receive our alumni discount (£1,500 off the cost of your tuition fees).

PhD funding

The University allocates more than £8m each year in doctoral funding, including PhD studentships. A studentship is usually a package that provides full funding for tuition fees and living costs.

Studentships available for UK/EU students

PhD student sitting outside cafe on Whiteknights campus drinking coffee

The University's Graduate School holds information about studentships and other funding available for postgraduate study. 

Available studentships include the University of Reading Regional PhD Bursary and the Wilkie Calvert Co-Supported PhD Studentship.

Studentships available for international students

PhD student in aeroplane seat with headphones laptop and phone

If you are applying for doctoral study from outside the UK and EU, the University offers a number of international studentship opportunities. 

We suggest that you consider studentship options in your own country as well, to increase your chances of securing funding.

Doctoral student working on laptop in coffee shop

Doctoral loans

You may be eligible to apply for a government-funded doctoral loan to fund your PhD.

Three arrows sprayed onto a road pointing away from a pair of feet

Alternative funding sources

The Alternative Guide to Postgraduate Funding is a database of less well-known sources of doctoral funding.

University of Reading Campus Jobs logo blue on black

Supplement your income

You might consider part-time or casual work as a way to supplement your income during your studies. There are often vacancies at the University, which you can apply for through Campus Jobs.