Professor Gerry Leonidas
- Department Director of Postgraduate Taught Studies
- Programme Director, MA Communication Design
- Pathway Lead, MA Communication Design: Typeface Design Pathway
- Programme Director, MA Research Typography and Graphic Communication, MRes Typeface Design
- Course Director, Type Design intensive (TDi) summer course
- Member of groups focusing on internationalisation, student exchange, admissions, and enterprise
OfficeRoom T13, Typography & Graphic Communication
Building locationWhiteknights campus (building 21)
Areas of interest
My areas of interest in research focus on typeface design processes and Greek typeface design and typography. I also have interests in typographic education and the development of disciplines of study relating to fields of practice. The output of my research lies in the interface between established research outputs and the commercial world, with particular focus on knowledge capture within areas of practice and knowledge transfer between researchers and practitioners. I have led two Knowledge Transfer Partnerships (KTP) in this area (with Monotype, 2008–2010; and with Merson Signs, 2010–2012) and several consultancy projects on typeface design.
A full range of extra-University of Reading activities are listed on my website Gerry Leonidas.
Postgraduate supervisionI supervise research students and welcome enquiries from prospective students on research topics related to typeface design and typography.
I teach design across undergraduate modules and I supervise undergraduate and master's dissertations.
- Leonidas, G. (2018) Enabling modernity: innovation in modulated Greek typefaces, 1998-2007. Philological Encounters , 3 (4). pp. 412-440. ISSN: 2451-9197 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/24519197-12340055
- Leonidas, G. (2015) Snapshots from 1985–1995.
- Leonidas, G. (2015) Reading journeys. 365 Typo. Étapes , Paris. pp. 220-226. ISBN: 9791095254003
- Leonidas, G. (2015) Greek printing outside Greece, from the 15th century to e-books.
- Leonidas, G. (2015) On systems and quality in typeface design. In: Silva, C. and Madureira, M. , (eds.) 5th Meeting of Typography – Book of Proceedings. 5th Meeting of Typography – Book of Proceedings. pp. 12-28. ISSN: 978-989-99465-0-7 ISBN: 9789899946507
- Leonidas, G. , Hudson, J. , Kshetrimayum, N. , Mansour, K. , Zoghbi, P. (2015) Beyond Latin. Eye Magazine , 90 (23). pp. 80-93. ISSN: 0960-779X
- Leonidas, G. (2014) You make it happen: document demand, typeface supply. In: Kochan, B. , (eds.) Granshan: design & identity. Typographische Gesellschaft München , Munich, Germany. pp. 142-149.
- Leonidas, G. (2012) You need an opinion, on top of an impulse. In: Coventon, D. , Edgar, J. , Williams, F. , Clifton, D. , (eds.) Whatever Next: a discourse on typography. Camberwell Press , London. pp. 77-78. ISBN: 9781908971098
- Leonidas, G. (2012) Type design and development. Typography, Referenced. Rockport Publishers pp. 30-51. ISBN: 9781592537020
- Leonidas, G. (2012) Foreword. In: Macchia, E. and Brenner, M. , (eds.) Type compass: charting new routes in typography. SHS Publishing , Rome, Italy. pp. 8-9. ISBN: 9788890759499
- Leonidas, G. (2012) Never lost for words. Monotype Imaging Ltd , Bad Homburg. pp. 1-20.
- Leonidas, G. (2012) CUP Intermediate Greek-English Lexicon. Cambridge University Press , Cambridge.
- Leonidas, G. (2012) Thoughts on a quiet master. Monotype Recorder (XI). pp. 2-11. (special issue 'Robin Nicholas edition')
- Leonidas, G. (2011) Lost in flatlands: will the next generation of page layout programs give us back our sense of space?. Eye Magazine , 80 (20). pp. 72. ISSN: 0960-779X
- Leonidas, G. (2011) Adobe Bickham Script Greek typeface. Adobe Inc.
- Leonidas, G. (2011) Brill Greek, Adobe Arno Pro, Adobe Text/Brevier Greek typefaces. Brill & Adobe Inc.
- Leonidas, G. (2000) In search of the digital Cresci: Don Knuth’s digital typography. Information Design Journal , 9 (2-3). pp. 111-118. ISSN: 0142-5471 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1075/idj.9.2-3.02leo
- Leonidas, G. (2000) Γραμματοσειρές και πολιτισμική ταυτότητα [Typefaces and cultural identity]. Marketing Week pp. 28-30. ISSN: 0141-9285 (special issue 'Ελληνική Τυπογραφία [Greek typography]')
- Leonidas, G. (2000) An introduction to Greek typeface design. AGFA/Monotype , Palo Alto, California. pp 54.